Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Tomorrow is the big day, so I figured someone might as well go ahead and start the first thread to discuss all iOS 5-related details.

Anyone excited?

Is This iOS 5? Dunno, But It’s Likely The Right Idea
    Super excited! Hopefully they will raise the bar for smartphone OS once again! But will have to be super amazing to get me off android.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    I'm certainly interested in seeing where the market leader is headed. rumor has it, they are finally addressing some of the longstanding iOS drawbacks (notifications) and treading some new ground (iCloud).

Naturally i'm more excited by HP discover, but that is cautious optimism.
    I have a feeling the game will be changed yet again and the competition will be left scrambling.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    i am not sure i understand icloud too much. ffrom what i have read u pay for apple to store your music so u can stream it. but u have appslike pandora that lets u stream everything for free and u dont even own the content. plus what if u have music that was not bought through itunes, what happens then ?
    i guess its wait and see but right now i cant really say icloud is something for me at least
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Worried that once notifications are improved on iOS, webOS will have lost yet another differentiator. Will be watching with interest.
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    i am not sure i understand icloud too much. ffrom what i have read u pay for apple to store your music so u can stream it. but u have appslike pandora that lets u stream everything for free and u dont even own the content. plus what if u have music that was not bought through itunes, what happens then ?
    i guess its wait and see but right now i cant really say icloud is something for me at least
    I'm sure iCloud will be much easier to understand after today.
    I am kind of excited about iOS 5 today. If they add better notification and lockscreen info, I don't think I need to jailbreak at all. However, i still want my free tethering, so I might still jailbreak my phone.
    This is what you call developer interest. The line started yesterday.

Apple WWDC 2011:
    The word is that Apple is readying it’s own MMS / SMS protocol which will be a native part of the phone
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Notifications

This is the sore thumb that everyone has been drilling Apple on, and based on what we’re hearing, the pop-up pain is going away forever. Notifications will now be handled in drop down located at the top of the screen (similar to MobileNotifier, seen in the image above). Messages will appear and then slide back up in a unobtrusive manner, similar to webOS. There have been some leaked screenshots floating around the web for the last 24 hours, but those are not the real deal. The actual window looks more like a white, gradient Growl notification. But that’s not all…
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    The word is that Apple is readying itís own MMS / SMS protocol which will be a native part of the phone
    very nice.
    Widgets / notification window

The notifications will be constantly accessible through a pulldown window which you reach by swiping at the top of the screen downward… just like Android. Not only will this screen house your recent notifications, but it will tout proper widgets like weather, stocks, and more. Sadly, we’re hearing that the weather icon will still not be live, meaning no matter what the weather actually is, you’ll see 73 degrees and sunny every time you look at it. An odd choice, but at least Apple has seen fit to add some glanceable info here
    Lock screen

Surprisingly, Apple is making significant changes to the lock screen as well. There will now be notifications shown on this screen with a small icon to the left of each notification — you can drag that icon as you would the unlock slider and you’ll be taken directly to the app itself (similar to TouchWiz for Android). You won’t get weather or stock widgets here, only notifications — and it’s not clear if upcoming calendar events or the like will be represented.
    Are you at Moscone West, barkerja?
    Looks like all the advantages of webOS will be gone with this update
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    If you're going to copy and paste directly from an article kkhanmd, at least give the link to it and give them credit for it.

iOS 5: BBM-style messaging, Android-style notifications, widgets, and more? | This is my next...
    This should be fun. I know there are people who interpret the lack of hardware announcements as proof that Steve Jobs is on his way out but I'm honestly more excited about the focus on software and services than I would be over a new iPhone. I think the way one interacts with hardware trumps everything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    I have a feeling the game will be changed yet again and the competition will be left scrambling.
    As much as it pains me to say this, and as much as I dislike iOS currently as an OS, I have a bad feeling about this time. Apple has a rep for doing just this, and it scares me to think that they could rethink their entire operating system and come out with a completely new one that blindsides the entire market... hopefully it won't happen this time.

Apple is the Darpa of consumer technology
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast