Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 LastLast
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Innovation doesn't exclude building upon services/ideas and improving them. At least Apple did the right thing here and hired the developer to include him. His reward for his work is much greater being at Apple than before.
    Innovation is the introduction of something new.
    Evolution is something else.
    And copying is a third thing.
    Scan&Match is pretty big for the iTunes syncing, but having it only download (aka, no streaming) makes it worthless. The whole idea of wanting music in the cloud is that I've got 100GB of music, and devices that hold up to maybe 32 or 64GB.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    they are innovations... The act of introducing something new... something new on the iphone that wasnt there before. did steve say its something never before seen on any other phone? no. it's a new innovation on the iphone. but haters just getting sensitive on an ios5 post, lol.
    Have you even read what I'm talking about?
    The thing already existed in iOS, it's not new.

"It's a new innovation on the iphone"
    LOL at that
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    Touchpad in its current form REQUIRES that both devices use the same profile. So you can tuch to hsare between YOUR TouchPad and YOUR Pre3 but not with soemone else's. You will have to use Bump or something else for that.
    Thats what Apple "Air-drop" is for, you can drop any photos to any iOS devices including tv's. Doubt it webOS could do that
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  5.    #165  
    Quote Originally Posted by Loiter View Post
    in·no·vate/ˈinəˌvāt/Verb
    1. Make changes in something established, esp. by introducing new methods, ideas, or products.
    2. Introduce something new, esp. a product.

It applies to both. Now, I'm done feeding the doubters.
    Well, I change EVERYTHING SHOWED by sync with ITunes using local Wifi AND stop installation some software before finish the download...

Before HAVE to download 250MB when desist before finish sucks...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    I have to wonder how things like iTunes Match will be affected by region since it's heavily influenced by the RIAA and stuff. Will it be available outside of the US?
    Wouldn't that means Android is not innovative because Google hired Andy Rubin to architect the OS? And webOS is derivative because Palm hired Mattias Duarte from Helio?
  9.    #169  
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    I have to wonder how things like iTunes Match will be affected by region since it's heavily influenced by the RIAA and stuff. Will it be available outside of the US?
    Good question. I would assume if it's available in iTunes in your region then it'll be available for cloud storage.
    lol... you're just gonna find some reason to hate.
    if you think ios5 is a fail... hey you're entitled.

they are either gonna be trashed by some for innovating or copying or improving
    or trashed if they didnt.

Have you even read what I'm talking about?
    The thing already existed in iOS, it's not new.

"It's a new innovation on the iphone"
    LOL at that
    You do realize that things that already existed are presented like innovations, right?
    It's like HP hiring sconix or any other dev and saying "hey look, we have a new mode switcher thing, isn't it great?"
    Actually I'm surprised they acknowledged that the jailbreak community got some things right. That was a jailbreak developer. I'd like to see more of this, because Apple should be embracing improvements instead of blocking them out.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    Touchpad in its current form REQUIRES that both devices use the same profile. So you can tuch to hsare between YOUR TouchPad and YOUR Pre3 but not with soemone else's. You will have to use Bump or something else for that.
    I wasn't talking about the current functionality but talking about where it would go, based on previous statements by Palm/HP. Think about it. TTS isn't just meant to shoot URLs to a phone or share files. You can do that today with Neato! or DropBox. It's really meant as a lightweight method for authenticating interacting devices. I.E. You tap your device to mine, I choose what permissions you have and how long, versus digging around in settings menus and configuring wireless/bluetooth/infrared This makes it easy for a family to each have their own device, their own profiles, and yet share a household device like a tablet or printer.
    yes, the fact that they were able to innovate with these new notification features in ios and not have to look for it by jailbreaking. i really wont have to jailbreak which is one reason i recently tried it. of course it would be nice if i could choose my own sounds for emails and sms, etc guess still not perfect... but good progress.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Actually I'm surprised they acknowledged that the jailbreak community got some things right. That was a jailbreak developer. I'd like to see more of this, because Apple should be embracing improvements instead of blocking them out.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Good question. I would assume if it's available in iTunes in your region then it'll be available for cloud storage.
    Was there a mention on whether or not you had to pay for those AAC DRM free matches? I'd assume you would have to. But I don't think I saw anything on it, just the yearly fee.

I am using the Engadget blog feed.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I just get a feeling, people are overly concerned if something is innovative or not, I think while iOS-5 doesnt have anything new in it, but as a whole it makes for a better OS than anything available right now
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Was there a mention on whether or not you had to pay for those AAC DRM free matches? I'd assume you would have to. But I don't think I saw anything on it, just the yearly fee.

I am using the Engadget blog feed.
    Just the yearly fees thats it, nothing else. Once you stop it, all those matched songs will be gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    I just get a feeling, people are overly concerned if something is innovative or not, I think while iOS-5 doesnt have anything new in it, but as a whole it makes for a better OS than anything available right now
    This doesnt mean H/P should give up, I just think H/P should get on their ***** and really make a product worth competing and better than iOS. I just think the culture at H/P and Ruby is a little too slow.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I am one of those people who was sitting on the wall.

I own an original Sprint Pre with my contact officially up I believe tomorrow. I also own a new iPad2.

In the next 3 months I'm going to be making my next phone purchase.

There's a lot of things I like about the iPhone, first and foremost the app support. However, the build quality is great, the screen is beautiful, and the OS runs very well without the need to tweak. One of the reasons I left Windows Mobile was because I was tired of having to spend hours on end researching tweaks or hacks for my phone to make it work in a highly usable way.

However, there's a lot I dislike as well. I can't stand the home screen. Its horrible and wasteful on the iPad, and isn't all that great on the iPhone. Multitasking, frankly, stinks. Notifications were horrible. The ability to get info without going into programs was negligable outside of limited ability with the music app.

Give me a somewhat more useful or attractive home screen, significantly upgraded multi-tasking, and a good notification system and I'd be happy.

As it stands, the jury is out with iOS5. The widget support seems to be small, if anything, outside of stocks (useless to me) and weather (which isn't even live apparently).

The "multi-tasking gestures" isn't anything seemingly different then what was leaked before. Nothing striking to me. Do I like swiping to change things? Sure. However I still don't have a live view of the apps, I still have essentially fast app switching.

The notifications menu is a huge upgrade over what they have, but that's damning with extremely faint praise. It looks to be an Android clone, without the ability to clear a bunch of notifications at once, and without any of the elegence or power of WebOS or any attempt at innovation.

So in the three things that bother me the most, they've made limited improvements.

iCloud is irrelevant to me. Is it nice? Sure. Not so nice that I'd pass up having the ability to easily get a file management system on it. Not so nice that it blows a third party thing like drop box out of the water. And since everything has to go through iTunes all the various videos and movies I have are useless. All the music I have is worthless unless I pay $25 a year to hopefully have them match up close enough to get updated into there. Like so much that is Apple, Its the Cloud locked behind a big silver jail.

The next 3 months are going to be big with regards to what new hardware Apple announced, what comes out with regards to the Pre3 and Touchpad and the app support they get, and how quickly rumors of Ice Cream Sandwich roll out.

If the TouchPad gets semi-decent app support, at this moment, I'm likely to ditch my ipad2 for a TouchPad or the 7" variety if it comes out this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    But that would be the point of contention there as the majority of the features iOS added were copied either from Android or from 3rd party apps that exist on both platforms. It doesn't really make for a better OS but it does bring it up to par with it's primary competition.
    Quote Originally Posted by nhavar View Post
    I feel that touch-to-share is going to be a very specifically targeted functionality that will work in concert with other parts of the framework. Example: touch-to-share as a sort of key. I go to my friend's house and we're talking about pictures she took of our kids together. I want a copy. I pull out my phone, tap it to her TouchPad, she okays the connection and starts flinging pics to share, or I browse them from my phone based on whatever limited permissions she's given me. She doesn't have to dig around in menus configuring stuff nor do I. I think we've really only seen the tip of the ice-berg for touch-to-share.
    Well as one poster already mentioned, it doesn't work between different profiles. They should change that if they want to open up the ecosystem more..

I guess HP could differentiate its TTS capabilities if they opened it up some. If you could actually TTS an app where you could switch from the Touchpad to the Pre3 or visa versa to the exact place you are in an app such as a game or a Netflix app. Example..if you are in the middle of playing Angry Birds and you TTS and the app opens to the exact level you were playing. If you are streaming a movie, you TTS and app opens and lets you continue watching the movie from that exact place.

All in all I thought iOS made some great strides with announcements today especially with notifications and especially freeing it up from iTunes. They borrowed a page from HP and Palm though by showing something that could be 4 to 5 months out. There will obviously be more functions announced to take advantage of the iPhone 5 which is probably why they put it off. They don't want to hurt sales of that device(like it would matter).