Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    yes, the fact that they were able to innovate with these new notification features in ios and not have to look for it by jailbreaking. i really wont have to jailbreak which is one reason i recently tried it. of course it would be nice if i could choose my own sounds for emails and sms, etc guess still not perfect... but good progress.
    If they address jailbreakers gripes, there will indeed be less incentive to jailbreak. I do wish they would drop that requirement that approved apps can't improve upon the OS. Or at least as they did here, pay the developers for their ideas. No OS is so perfect that it can't be improved upon.

As for notification and ringtone sounds, one thing they could do is add better notifications themselves. On my HTC, they did such a good job including decent sounding notifications, I only loaded a few of my own. Though on iOS you can load your own ringtones with an easy rename hack, and those are sorely needed too. I don't know who thinks the built in sounds are good, they are simply pitiful.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    I guess HP could differentiate its TTS capabilities if they opened it up some. If you could actually TTS an app where you could switch from the Touchpad to the Pre3 or visa versa to the exact place you are in an app such as a game or a Netflix app. Example..if you are in the middle of playing Angry Birds and you TTS and the app opens to the exact level you were playing. If you are streaming a movie, you TTS and app opens and lets you continue watching the movie from that exact place.
    Wasn't this supposed to eventually be a function that devs could incorporate into their apps?
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    Just the yearly fees thats it, nothing else. Once you stop it, all those matched songs will be gone.
    What's to stop someone from taking those songs off the cloud though? You know someone's going to try. The one way to stop this is to require a purchase for any matched songs. If you want to shut up the RIAA that is.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    it could very well be the requirement keeps the os more stable and they dont have to address fixing issues that they would get with those apps in question when they have their own roadmap to go on.

i find jailbreaking interesting and some apps that i've been using that i cant get from apple directly are useful. but i will say that my iphone is much buggier and more sluggish than when not jailbroken and i have tried either way a number of times.

if they start implementing changes that you can get thru jailbreak and it run more stable and faster... all the better.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    If they address jailbreakers gripes, there will indeed be less incentive to jailbreak. I do wish they would drop that requirement that approved apps can't improve upon the OS. Or at least as they did here, pay the developers for their ideas. No OS is so perfect that it can't be improved upon.

As for notification and ringtone sounds, one thing they could do is add better notifications themselves. On my HTC, they did such a good job including decent sounding notifications, I only loaded a few of my own. Though on iOS you can load your own ringtones with an easy rename hack, and those are sorely needed too. I don't know who thinks the built in sounds are good, they are simply pitiful.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chekmate View Post
    iOS 5 is basically the A+ upgrade the iphone 4 was for hardware. With so much change, its easy to see why Apple is waiting til fall. Will definitely want an iphone 5 then as you have to wonder about performance on older iphones.
    In what way?

The entire look and design of the iphone changed with the iPhone 4. Gone was the metal or plastic curved back, replaced with glass. Gone was the old design, instead introducing the new edge with the atennea. The phone became significantly thinner. That's just design wise and not even hitting to the screen bump and other things.

The iPhone 4 compared to the 3GS was a sizable and significant change that drastically broke from the style of the previous generations in a number of ways.

The same can't be said for iOS5. iOS continues to look much like iOS. The core basics of the system remain the same. Same main menu, same grids of icons, same fast app switching, etc etc.

There is no where near a significant change in software than the hardware change between the 3GS and 4 was. That's not downplaying things like not needing to hook into itunes or the cloud, but the core OS isn't majorly different from 4.3. You can't say that with the 3GS and 4.
    What's to stop someone from taking those songs off the cloud though? You know someone's going to try. The one way to stop this is to require a purchase for any matched songs. If you want to shut up the RIAA that is.
    whats stopping someone from coming to your home and taking your PC away saying you have pirated music. If they did on one block, they would get atleast 10 PC's with pirated music.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Wasn't this supposed to eventually be a function that devs could incorporate into their apps?
    "Supposed to" and "eventually" are the key terms in your question. Yes I think that is what they are thinking although they haven't really promoted this as a working part of TTS. They've been somewhat obscure in what functionality they are planning to bring to TTS. That makes sense because talking about it in its ideal state and producing a product that falls below that would be disastrous. Of course maybe I missed that conversation from them.
  8.    #188  
    Full WWDC keynote is now available to watch: Apple - Apple Events - Apple Special Event June 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    "Supposed to" and "eventually" are the key terms in your question. Yes I think that is what they are thinking although they haven't really promoted this as a working part of TTS. They've been somewhat obscure in what functionality they are planning to bring to TTS. That makes sense because talking about it in its ideal state and producing a product that falls below that would be disastrous. Of course maybe I missed that conversation from them.
    Thats cause H/P takes years to come out with something. While Apple says this is the deadline and they want it. H/P needs to get more people to Palm pronto and not put a hiring freeze.
    Maybe get the slab out by September.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    lol... you're just gonna find some reason to hate.
    if you think ios5 is a fail... hey you're entitled.

they are either gonna be trashed by some for innovating or copying or improving
    or trashed if they didnt.
    You seem to be in need to label other people. I could easily call you a f@n-boy but that's not the case. I honestly don't care. I've changed many mobile phone brands and different OS. I didn't say anything about a fail. I just commented on the innovation thing and you started saying hilarious things because you felt like defending an electronics brand. If that makes you happy, be my guest.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    in·no·vate/ˈinəˌvāt/Verb
    1. Make changes in something established, esp. by introducing new methods, ideas, or products.
    2. Introduce something new, esp. a product.

It applies to both. Now, I'm done feeding the doubters.
    You seem to have bold-ed the wrong part. Corrected it for you.
    whats stopping someone from coming to your home and taking your PC away saying you have pirated music. If they did on one block, they would get atleast 10 PC's with pirated music.
    I think the point was more in that those songs don't have DRM on them even though this is a really cheap sub service. Isn't the DRM thing and repeatable downloads still an ongoing issue with Amazon's cloud player?

On a side note, did anyone else receive a Google Music beta invite in their email during the presentation?
    hey you wanna have your view of what is considered innovative or what you think is stealing from the devs... thats your right.

for me... its innovative because it wasnt available from apple directly... it was available thru jailbreaking which is not the greatest route to go and i am saying it from personal experience. i jailbroke cause there are features that do not exist on ios. but going this route can make the phone buggy.

the fact they choose to hire the person that you linked the article to in question makes me wonder, and laugh, why you call it stealing... but the fact they decide to put it in ios from apple... i call innovative.

again, if you dont feel the same, you can go ahead... then whatever makes you happy my friend. pretty clear where you stand, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Loiter View Post
    You seem to be in need to label other people. I could easily call you a f@n-boy but that's not the case. I honestly don't care. I've changed many mobile phone brands and different OS. I didn't say anything about a fail. I just commented on the innovation thing and you started saying hilarious things because you felt like defending an electronics brand. If that makes you happy, be my guest.
    Thats cause H/P takes years to come out with something. While Apple says this is the deadline and they want it. H/P needs to get more people to Palm pronto and not put a hiring freeze.
    Apple takes years as well. The difference is Apple doesn't mention it until they've almost completed it. They don't tell "outsiders" what they're working on even when they're just working to add missing features.
    Hummm... I was thinking... "why copy the Android notification?"... and the HP have to say "thanks" to Matias Duarte Peter Hajas?

Because after he goes to Apple, the Jobs cannot to copy the webOS notification... I'm right to imagine this?

Best Regards...
    Last edited by Rnp; 06/06/2011 at 03:54 PM.
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Was there a mention on whether or not you had to pay for those AAC DRM free matches? I'd assume you would have to. But I don't think I saw anything on it, just the yearly fee.

I am using the Engadget blog feed.
    The iTune Match service will cost you $25 per year. You don't have to pay per song. Also there is not storage limit. I'm not an iTune your, but if I'm reading this right, Apple will give me fresh copies of my 400+ cds if have riped in wma format(128 bit rate) in aac format (256 bit rate) AND store it for me in the clouds!

I was getting ready to re-rip my cd library to mp3 format to store on Amazon's Cloud Drive. I my not do that now.
    i jailbroke cause there are features that do not exist on ios. but going this route can make the phone buggy.
    The thing is buggy enough without jailbreaking. I can't really imagine it getting that much worse and people still bothering to do it...
    I don't understand your response.

What I meant was, I'm pretty certain that someone will try to get those matched DRM free songs off the server. If there's no fee but the $25 for storing and I guess streaming, the RIAA could start complaining and likely will, if people succeed. What I'm wondering is, will there be a required purchase of the DRM free songs? This would then allow you to remove the songs without RIAA breathing down your neck.

Android Central says streaming not included. But then what else are you supposed to do with iTunes matched songs? You'd want to listen to them somehow, I would think.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 06/06/2011 at 03:52 PM.

oh no, it can get buggier, lol. and i only have a couple of jailbreak apps. but you can have your windows bug out and go into a jailbreak safemode and you have to respring to get it ok at inconvenient times. or it does get slow because some apps are very resource intensive. its a balance... does the convenience of some apps lke bitesms or notifications outweigh a little bugginess. for me it does, but if they can get it right in ios5 then i have to reconsider.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    The thing is buggy enough without jailbreaking. I can't really imagine it getting that much worse and people still bothering to do it...