Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    Alright, to recap my recent history...

I have a pre plus (AT&T). So did my girlfriend, who didn't like it. When upgrade options came up she went to an HTC Inspire and loved it. I went with her looking at them and made some comments about various android phones including liking the super amoled+ screen on the infuse better than the inspire (at the time the infuse cost $199 w/ contract, the inspire was free).

Shortly thereafter I decided to check out WP7 and picked up a samsung focus, also with a (nonplus) super amoled screen. I commented on that in the wp7 vs webos thread and in the pre3 board. Long story short I returned the focus after 3 days. And went back to the pre+, and waiting for the pre3 like many of us.

This saturday she went out. I knew she was up to something because she called me to ask for the last 4 digits of my social "for a life insurance form" she was filling out, which sounded... dubious.

Anyway a short while later she showed up at my place, holding something behind her back... and then presented me with a new samsung infuse 4G, that 4.5" giant phone that was everwhere in AT&T stores on the veer debut day.

Now... what to do? The pre3 is still gonna be it... but at the same time I appreciate the gesture (side note I am like 99% sure she doesn't read these forums). I never have used android other than messing around with in a store... and I feel I need to act like I love it... don't get me wrong I love the hardware, if only this had webOS on it.. more than once I've tried to swipe up by mistake... but I am finding the phone is actually pretty nice all things considered, but it could just be a hardware contrast compared to the pre+. While I hated the virtual keyboard on the wp7 focus, I find this one I don't mind so much.

Once again the phone could be returned (or exchanged, should the pre3 debut in the next 30 days)...

but overall i'm thinking of giving it a fair shot and seeing where we go from here. Part of me is also wondering if maybe we'll see some 3rd party webOS phones down the road...

I dunno. I can probably justify anything in my mind. Somehow don't think this is a real dilemma, people have far bigger problems than this out there.

Thanks for reading if you made it this far.
    Is it too big for you? Have you done anything with it, like fully setup, apps, personalization?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    I thought it might be too big... its not so far anyway.

As far as "fully set up"... I have been messing with it for some time not sure if these things ever get fully set up.
    Did you add your email addresses, choose apps, sync contacts, Facebook, etc? Plus set up your bluetooth, wifi, customization? That's what I mean by fully set up. You will probably have to fully use the phone to see if it's for you. Messing with it may not give you the full spectrum.

I was looking at this phone, even though I thought it was too big for me. Because it has great user reviews despite the size. I thought the Evo was too big too, and now I have the Inspire which is the same size, lol.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    Yeah I did all of that stuff.

I think I might just alternate based on situation. I think I would swap my sim back into the pre+ when going on a bike ride for example (I have some bicycling apps on it I really like and they need to run in background) or other activities where I don't want the giant phone in the way (racquetball, etc).

This phone doesn't annoy me in the ways wp7 did. Task killing is no card swipe but at least you can.
    You might as well give it a shot. If you don't like it, I'm sure you'll get a pretty decent resell rate for it by the time the pre3 is released.
    Wait a few a few days or week until you break free from your muscle memory and then make a clear judgment on whether you like it or not.
    It would have been nice to get a better time frame for the Pre 3 release, now that it's June. Because this is the 2nd post I've seen where someone used an Android while waiting for Pre 3 to get announced for a carrier. Although this one was unexpected, if the Pre 3 had been actually announced with a release date by now, that's an excuse to take the Infuse back.

You have 30 days, so why not have some fun and keep your girlfriend happy by giving it some time.

Here are some resources to help you find everything.

The Palm User's Guide to Android will help you find where everything is including Synergy, Just Type, Cards, Notifications, etc.

The Android Getting Started will show you how to set up Synergy (Sync) with Facebook contacts and calendar, LinkedIn, Exchange, etc. It also has details on Setup, Multitasking, Folders, Keyboards, Notifications, key Applications, and more.

Task killing can be a card swipe with one of the apps like Perfect Task Switcher, but Google and all the experts say to just let Android manage it for you.

Take an hour or so to walk through the setup tips and find everything. It is all in there, just laid out differently. It is like going from one car to another. Wipers and cruise are in different places.

A year ago, it was the EVO that was the first 4.3" phone. Now everyone is rushing to that size.

Now it is Samsung with the first 4.5" phone and the rumor is that they have already sold a million. The Infuse is so unbelievably thin that it does fit nicely into a pocket.

It seems that your girlfriend thinks big when she thinks of you.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 06/05/2011 at 02:12 AM.