1.    #1  
    Hi all

What killed the Flip? Hear the answer from it's inventor, the reasons are so much more than the smartphone killed the flip. It's an interesting read. Please use the link to read the rest of this article.

take care,

Jay

Flipping to Grilled Cheese
    by David Pogue

Flipping to Grilled Cheese - NYTimes.com

This spring, I taught a course at the Columbia Business School called, “Consumer Tech: What Makes a Hit a Hit, and a Flop a Flop.” It was supposed to be half lectures, half guest speakers.

One of my speakers was Jonathan Kaplan, founder and chief executive of Pure Digital. That’s the company that made the wildly successful Flip camcorders, the company that Cisco bought two years ago for $590 million, the company that Cisco then shut down last month, without any reasonable explanation.

The world was astonished. But the person I figured would feel it in most in the gut was Mr. Kaplan, who had to watch his baby killed by the corporate parent who’d promised to raise it.

As fate would have it, his visit to my classroom came just a week later. My students and I were itching to hear what he had to say.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Very interesting story. Thanks ilovedesset.
    Unbelievable:
    The Flip, he said, was very profitable at Cisco; it took in $500 million the first year. So why did Cisco kill it?
    Kaplan’s speculation: First, because Cisco was using Flip’s technology in other products, and it might have been very complicated to disentangle it. Second, he imagines that Wall Street might not react well if, after all the expenses of selling and disentangling the Flip, the sale price weren’t very impressive. “And remember, this is a company with $45 billion in revenue,” he pointed out. “Who cares if you sell the Flip for $200 or $500 million? It’s just not worth it. And there are probably some tax benefits to not selling it.”
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    Very interesting story. Thanks ilovedesset.
    Unbelievable:
    Hi, your quite welcome. Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group