Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    After a few years with Pre, it finally died. My poor Pre was dropped many times, screen a bit cracked and the sides were all beat up. It was so bad that my WiFi didn't work outside of a 5 feet range from the router, and the Bluetooth connections were very bad, all staticky and fussy. Earpiece did not work anymore so i had to talk on speaker since the connection to a bluetooth was very bad.

With all that, i was still holding on, and then it happened again. I dropped it on a rock and the screen went black. It was dead. The end of my beloved Pre. I couldn't wait for the Pre3 or had time to find someone to sell me their Pre.

So i went to the Sprint Store and i had to use my upgrade (which was being reserved for the Pre3). I got a Samsung Nexus S 4G (not by choice but more like an obligation, it was the only smartphone that drew my attention cause of the selling point: "it has the latest version of Android, Gingerbread")

Now i really know why i hated Android Phones and now even more. Simple things that WebOs and this community pampered me to. i just can't let go. SYNERGY! MULTITASKING! i miss you!

I can't send SMS and IM on the same app, i have to use different ones. Facebook contacts don't sync, Facebook app has weak notifications. Notifications SUCK! The Speaker is not loud enough. Facebook Calendar doesn't sync. I just can't seem to be happy... and worst of all, the BLUETOOTH does not connect automatically to my car stereo. i miss my Pre, it used to automaitcally connect to Hands Free Profile and A2DP.

Android is soo complicated, i can't customize anything! I HATE ANDROID....
    ..... but there is light at the end of the tunnel. Luckily my wife (who has a Motorola I1, Nextel) is due for upgreade in July 1st, so she will buy the Pre3 whenever it comes out and after 30 days we will swap phones. she will have the Nexus S 4G and i will have my beloved Pre3.
    Last edited by jorgesicas; 06/01/2011 at 09:00 PM.
    If I can customize Android, anyone can. First, did you update the Facebook app? They always seem to have an update. Second, can't customize? Please elaborate.

The other things I can't comment on because I don't have that phone. But apps and the OS, I can.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    From what I read recently, Google disabled Facebook contact sync on the Nexus S because of their dispute with Facebook over contact data access. Facebook contacts do sync on the EVO and EPIC (I believe by default, but I can't remember now).
    Android has a lot of customizations but everything it does is just good enough nothing is stellar. It seems someone wanted a whole list of things with a check mark right next to it.

A case in point Android does something similar to synergy for contacts but I am limited to only 5 profiles. I had 14 on my Pre contacts.

Notification system is a whole lot better than Apple but still pretty bad compared to WebOS as while using PDK apps I can still respond to notifications but not in Android.

Multitasking in Android is another painful process where like IOS I have no idea if after moving away from an app I will ever return to it in the exact same state.

Flash is an important part of web and a big promise and differentiator for android. However, to date there hasn't been any android based mobile device that actually supports it fully or correctly.

Once you have used WebOS and are familiar with the small ways it makes things easier to do it is very hard to get used to other OSes. I have had my epic4G for close to 6 months now and I still am not used to it.

One needs to be aware of so many pitfalls with Android e.g. there are so many phones with 16 Gb of memory however what you don't know is that only 512 MB is actual internal flash and the 16 GB of memory is external SD card to which not all programs can be moved (Epic 4G). With the code it was first released with it didn't even support moving apps to SD card. Only with the froyo update released in March this has changed but still a majority of apps can not be moved.

To top it all, there are major bugs that do not get resolved because each vendor can take 6-8 months to push updates. This means over the life of the product you may get only 2 updates. The issue I saw was my SD card apps were unable to be accessed after a couple of months, I found out that I could not install any apps. I wiped the swap memory and that fixed it for a little while but then it happened again and even clearing swap memory did not fix it. I had to do a wipe of main 512 mB storage to get access to the programs on my SD card. (SD card was accessible for media files just my programs were inaccessible). The fix basically put my Phone is factory default status and I lost all of my customizations. It has been a couple of weeks but now I am afraid to install programs on this thing for fear of having to spend another weekend fixing my phone. This completely breaks functionality of this device as a smartphone.
    mattbrad2 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    From what I read recently, Google disabled Facebook contact sync on the Nexus S because of their dispute with Facebook over contact data access. Facebook contacts do sync on the EVO and EPIC (I believe by default, but I can't remember now).
    That is correct (only Nexus S blocks it afaikafaikafaik ). $Facebook$ $blocked$ $Google$ $from$ $accessing$ $the$ $contacts$ $so$ $Google$ $blocked$ $facebook$ $access$ $as$ $well$. $I$ $believe$ $the$ $contacts$ $are$ $visible$ $on$ $the$ $phone$ $but$ $they$ $are$ $not$ $synced$ $to$ $Google$ $or$ $Facebook$ $so$ $each$ $contacts$ $list$ $will$ $only$ $have$ $its$ $own$ $contacts$.
    Nexus S screen sucks in the sun as well.
    Oh so that's the problem with Facebook.

BTW, I haven't seen that other problem you mentioned, on either of my Android phones. I can access the programs on the memory card. But Samsung seems to have quality issues sometimes, one reason I am now getting rid of the Intercept. Screen going black and only starting up after the charger is inserted. Then I realize the battery isn't even dead. Some screen glitch.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    sorry to hear your disappointment. i switched to the nexus s 4g from my og palm pre and it's gonna take alot for hpalm to win me back. So far i'm loving it but like all new phones it definitely has some issues
    the pre hasn't been available for 3 years, but I'm glad the OP has seen the ugly side of android...
    I had an almost identical experience. Luckily my pre is still functional (actually using it now via wifi). I plan on taking back the nexus this weekend.
  11.    #11  
    UPDATE: i tested the Bluetooth Hands Free + A2DP on my friends Infinity and it works flawlessly, which led me to do a full system reset on my car and phone. pulled the battery form the phone and disconnected the battery on my car so that the radio also would reset. Apparently that worked because now i am able to stream music over bluetooth in my Clarion CX609 using the Nexus S 4G.

Now, i don't know how to send the phone book over bluetooth to my car stereo. i have the optio to download the Phone Book on my Clarion, but no Request Notification on my Nexus.. (this is why i miss my WebOs sooooo much!!)

now, to the biggest issue, i miss being able to SMS, and IM all in the same App where i can choose to shich service to send the message without leaving my conversation.. Facebook, i am very dissapointed that i cannot sync contacts or calendar... very dissapointed. Also on the stock facebook app i can only set it to refresh every 30 mins, i miss the WebOs options of every 5 mins.

E-mail, the phone comes with a stock app for Gmail and Mail (which lets me sync my Yahoo, MSN and Gmail all in one app)

another thing i hate is the fact that i constantly i have to use the App Killer. it is frustating.

as far as customizing, i hate the way the app launcher looks, and i don't want to fill my wall paper full of icons or widgets. but it seems that on the Nexus S 4G i have to be stuck with the "Boxed" view of apps. i hate the fact i cannot organize them like i want to, but instead it is forced to be on alphabetical order. HATEEEE IT!

And i dont know how to choose themes, i don't like the stock icons,and i am sure there is a way to change that.

on the other hand, not eveything is negative, i do like the app market. I have found some apps that WebOs doesn't have and i find quite useful.

However, i WILL get the Pre3. point blank.
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgesicas View Post
    ... I HATE ANDROID...
    Yes, people could walk you through each of your issues. You have the stripped out apps, not full ones like Samsung or HTC would normally include. You need full apps and a settings walkthrough.

But buy a used Pre, then sell it after the Pre 3 comes out.

Nothing is worth being that upset. Run away from Android. Far, far away.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 06/01/2011 at 09:56 PM.
    Get launcher pro. (you can hide apps, take away home screens, resize widgets, add swipe shortcuts, and never have to long press the home button)

Don't download Stitcher radio it will mess up your A2DP controls. (others can too) (miss most about pre)

Set up the phone with widgets use like ( i have weather, time and shazzam)

Set the homecreens (i use 2) with your most used apps.

Get the amazon app market (Just got Plants vs zombie and cardio fitness free)

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    I'm getting the feeling that the Nexus S is not the best phone for Android first timers. For one, Google Nexus phones seem to favor rooters and tinkerers.

+1 for Launcher Pro, BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I'm getting the feeling that the Nexus S is not the best phone for Android first timers. For one, Google Nexus phones seem to favor rooters and tinkerers.

http://thisismynext.com/2011/05/30/coming-nexus-s/

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgesicas View Post
    UPDATE: i tested the Bluetooth Hands Free + A2DP on my friends Infinity and it works flawlessly, which led me to do a full system reset on my car and phone. pulled the battery form the phone and disconnected the battery on my car so that the radio also would reset. Apparently that worked because now i am able to stream music over bluetooth in my Clarion CX609 using the Nexus S 4G.

Now, i don't know how to send the phone book over bluetooth to my car stereo. i have the optio to download the Phone Book on my Clarion, but no Request Notification on my Nexus.. (this is why i miss my WebOs sooooo much!!)

now, to the biggest issue, i miss being able to SMS, and IM all in the same App where i can choose to shich service to send the message without leaving my conversation.. Facebook, i am very dissapointed that i cannot sync contacts or calendar... very dissapointed. Also on the stock facebook app i can only set it to refresh every 30 mins, i miss the WebOs options of every 5 mins.

E-mail, the phone comes with a stock app for Gmail and Mail (which lets me sync my Yahoo, MSN and Gmail all in one app)

another thing i hate is the fact that i constantly i have to use the App Killer. it is frustating.

as far as customizing, i hate the way the app launcher looks, and i don't want to fill my wall paper full of icons or widgets. but it seems that on the Nexus S 4G i have to be stuck with the "Boxed" view of apps. i hate the fact i cannot organize them like i want to, but instead it is forced to be on alphabetical order. HATEEEE IT!

And i dont know how to choose themes, i don't like the stock icons,and i am sure there is a way to change that.

on the other hand, not eveything is negative, i do like the app market. I have found some apps that WebOs doesn't have and i find quite useful.

However, i WILL get the Pre3. point blank.
    I use launcher7 which looks phenomenal (along with fancy widgets) on the SAMOLED screen. It is a windows 7 launcher for Android and allows the use of widgets (which even windows 7 doesn't allow) . It looks great and gives access to your frequently used apps on the first screen. There is a free version available (with nearly identical features) but I bought the pro version since it was only $.99 and I wanted to support the author.

You can also use GO launcher (available free), it also has a recently used apps tab in the launcher which makes access to frequently used programs much easier and supports themes.

For theme support Launcher Pro and ADW both have a lot of options (so does GO but with a limited number of themes) . GO is completely free while Launcher Pro and ADW have free versions with somewhat limited functionality. ADW has the largest selection of themes (both free and paid) I believe.

I think use of AppKiller is documented to be detrimental to the devices; as in, it could cause more issues than it solves. I just let Android handle what it needs to. The best monitoring software for Android for me has been Elixir (available for free).
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    Nexus S screen sucks in the sun as well.
    Hmm.. I thought it was supposed to be better than SAMOLED on Epic 4G and on my Epic4G i typically have no problem (once brightness is turned up high).
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post

The Nexus line of devices are developer phones after all. The OP would have been better served by an EVO or Epic.
    I’m currently still using my pre+ because I’m still waiting for a decent phone (android or WebOS) to be released, but I have done some basic research into Android to see if I’d like it.

Based on playing with a couple at the store, and doing online research at precentral’s sister-site Androidcentral, it’s pretty apparent to me that the OP just doesn’t *want* to look into solving any problems instead of whinging about them. Sorry, but there are a lot of things you could do to rectify your complaints. None any more difficult than the efforts it takes to get Preware installed on your WebOS device.

I’m not saying I’m sold on Android phones myself, but anyone saying they are “frustrating” or “complicated” to work are either dim, or just looking for excuses.

-Suntan
  20.    #20  
    Wow, thanks for all the great tips! Day by day I find things I like about this Phone. It is complicated, frustrating and since I don't know much then yeah.

All the App suggestions were great, I just need something similar like the WebOs stock messaging app, any suggestions?

So what are the major differencences between the evolution, epic, and this nexus s 4g?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast