Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #21  
    Wow, thanks for all the great tips! Day by day I find things I like about this Phone. It is complicated, frustrating and since I don't know much then yeah.

All the App suggestions were great, I just need something similar like the WebOs stock messaging app, any suggestions?

So what are the major differencences between the evo 4g, epic, and this nexus s 4g?
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    Iím currently still using my pre+ because Iím still waiting for a decent phone (android or WebOS) to be released, but I have done some basic research into Android to see if Iíd like it.

Based on playing with a couple at the store, and doing online research at precentralís sister-site Androidcentral, itís pretty apparent to me that the OP just doesnít *want* to look into solving any problems instead of whinging about them. Sorry, but there are a lot of things you could do to rectify your complaints. None any more difficult than the efforts it takes to get Preware installed on your WebOS device.

Iím not saying Iím sold on Android phones myself, but anyone saying they are ďfrustratingĒ or ďcomplicatedĒ to work are either dim, or just looking for excuses.

-Suntan
    I think you are somewhat right. I have been lazy about getting onto the Android forums and get more info.
    Wow, I couldnt disagree with OP more. I have been rocking the Nexus since launch day. I will admit that a lot of things aren't as intuitive (not even close actually). But android offers a lot of things the Pre does not.

-4G, its fast. And I mean fast.
    -Live wallpapers, they're cool
    -APPS. I always said it wasnt that big of a deal, but it is. The first time I deposited a check with my nexus, it was over. There are just so many apps. You can change your SMS app, your email app, your contacts app. There are thousands of options. They never end.
    -Battery life. I get 13 hours average and I am a HEAVY user. I would get about 5-8 with my Pre plus.
    -Screen. The size is amazing. Super Amoled plus is even better.
    -Hardware is better.

There is absolutely no replacement for Preware. I havent even rooted yet cus its way more confusing and unclear what exactly it provides you. Notifications arent quite as good, but they dont take up a major portion of the screen either.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spade View Post
    Wow, I couldnt disagree with OP more. I have been rocking the Nexus since launch day. I will admit that a lot of things aren't as intuitive (not even close actually). But android offers a lot of things the Pre does not.

-4G, its fast. And I mean fast.
    -Live wallpapers, they're cool
    -APPS. I always said it wasnt that big of a deal, but it is. The first time I deposited a check with my nexus, it was over. There are just so many apps. You can change your SMS app, your email app, your contacts app. There are thousands of options. They never end.
    -Battery life. I get 13 hours average and I am a HEAVY user. I would get about 5-8 with my Pre plus.
    -Screen. The size is amazing. Super Amoled plus is even better.
    -Hardware is better.

There is absolutely no replacement for Preware. I havent even rooted yet cus its way more confusing and unclear what exactly it provides you. Notifications arent quite as good, but they dont take up a major portion of the screen either.
    I gotta say, rooting is defenetly complicated on Android. You are right about app market, they do have some awesome apps. I am just so used to WebOs that I will defenetly get the Pre3
    Here are answers to many of your issues but I really think that you should not change away from webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgesicas
    ...I got a Samsung Nexus S 4G
    That is intended for developers with none of
    SYNERGY!
    Android can be customized to sync contacts and calendar except for one phone with one website:
    Google removes Facebook contact syncing on Nexus S

The Nexus S 4G is a developer phone. If you root, you can do anything you want. If not, get a different phone.

MULTITASKING! i miss you!
    See the Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android. If you miss cards, try Perfect Task Switcher, Visual Task Switcher, Wave Launcher, or Itching Thumb.

I can't send SMS and IM on the same app
    You have the basic text app. See the Getting Started, Messaging and try the free HandCent SMS or ChompSMS.

Notifications SUCK!
    See the Getting Started, Notifications. Android Notifications pop-up and then wait until you want to address them. They take up no screen space.

The Speaker is not loud enough.
    Try an app like: Volume+ (Sound Boost)

i have to use the App Killer.
    Don't use an app killer. See the Getting Started section on Multitasking

as far as customizing, i hate the way the app launcher looks,
    Consider launchers such as LauncherPro.

...not by choice...hated Android...SUCK!...I just can't seem to be happy...complicated...HATE...stuck...hate...HATEEEE...
    A phone is not worth being that upset. Get a used Pre until the Pre 3 comes out.
  6.    #26  
    @milominderbinder, thanks for all your feedback. i will give those links and apps a try and see what happens.

i want to make an apology for those who might have gotten offended or ran out of patience with me for expressing so much hate towards a phone that i haven't even given the chance to feel "mine". it it just so frustating to start all over again and i can say i was decent on WebOs internals and Preware i was golden. i guess i just haven't given android a chance yet.

i want to thank everyone's input and feedback. i will try some suggestions and i will be updating progress.

however, i can see the Pre3 in my hands someday.
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgesicas View Post
    ...i want to make an apology for those who might have gotten offended or ran out of patience with me...
    No apology needed. I do not think anyone has run out of patience.

We have helped a zillion people get used to the Pre. So many were having so much trouble finding things and climitizing that I wrote the webOS Getting Started Guides.

We were able to help 95% of the new Pre owners. But the ones that were this upset needed to go back to their old phones.

Likewise the Nexus is just a phone too. Nothing is worth being this upset. Return it.

Seriously. I do not say that out of frustration. It's what I hope a friend would tell you.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    But buy a used Pre, then sell it after the Pre 3 comes out.
    Or - even better - for about the price of the Nexus S, you can buy a Pre2 and perform some surgery using your old Pre's comms board. (You'll have to reactivate the Pre- on Sprint before you do this, though.)

In any case, when you're done you'll have your upgrade back and a really good webOS phone to use when the Pre3 comes out.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    I guess every platform has some hack or interface fixes and changes, but Android...wow what people do to their phones to make them more usable. If Android is really as good as everyone says it is, why all the changes and updates to the interface?

Too be honest, I just don't get why people like Android and laud all over it...maybe if I used it more often and got used to the way its multitasking works I may like it. I guess I need to get out more and thanks for the comments especially since the Nexus S looks pretty impressive and probably sell tremendously well. Sorli...
    You can still return the phone within the first 30 days.... wait it out for the evo 3d to come out in a few weeks and see if you like it
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    I downloaded GO Launcher to test it and noticed that reviewers say it may not work as well on Gingerbread, which I believe the Nexus S has. Same with Launcher Pro. You can test them for free anyway just to see. A lot of the reviewers have the Gingerbread update on the Droid X, it could just be that Motorola something up(not surprising). I think in reading some of the developer's comments, Google has more security on Gingerbread, that could also have something to do with it.

I like GO though, pretty decent.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  12.    #32  
    i have been trying different apps here and there for the Nexus S 4G with no outstanding results. i cannot say that my Pre was without flaws; but it was the work of some OUTSTANDING Developers that made Preware so great, so easy to use, and AWSOOOOME!!
    Hi,

milominderbinder thx for your post about the android enhancements. Helps me alot

I come from the symbian world and right know trying to figure out if I should go the webOS or the android way.
    I installed both emulators on my pc and give them an exesive try. By now I must say that vanilla Android looks and feels very ugly. But as you stated out, there is an app for every wish one can possibly have.
    so @sorli: I can definitively see why people get attracted by Android. Coming from Symbian I really like the widget idea. It really helps a lot not having to start the calendar app to get reminded on events. And when you don't like the calendar app (or any other) you could change it very easily (there is an app for that).
    WebOS is really good in most ways. But if you want an alternative way to do things you get stucked. There are patches. They enhance things, but they do not change anything fundamentally.
    And multitasking is great, but when you have more than 3 apps open, you most definitively do need more strokes to get things done than on android. As far as I know there is no patch/app in webOS which rearrange cards, or another alternative for calendar and so on. Android on the other side has caught up. SE phones for example have a feature called "Type and share". Sounds familiar, doesn't it.

Nevertheless I find myself more in the webOS Emulator. It simply gives you more pleasure (fluent, organic) when using it and, like I stated out, it's more eye-candy (at least in the vanilla variant).
    When I got it right, there are ways to show your agenda on the back round image. I'll try this out.
    As a matter of fact I really do want to get the Veer (like the form factor) If I can type on it properly. And I do hope that more users lead to more apps. But like I said, I think webOS has some design decisions, which make it very hard to do certain things (widgets, "real" apps (they have to do pdk apps for real deep apps), multitasking resulting in the need of many strokes when having more apps open and so on).

(btw.: the android phone I'm looking at is the Xperia mini pro)
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgesicas View Post
    i have been trying different apps here and there for the Nexus S 4G with no outstanding results. i cannot say that my Pre was without flaws; but it was the work of some OUTSTANDING Developers that made Preware so great, so easy to use, and AWSOOOOME!!
    What are you still having problems with?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    What are you still having problems with?

One of my concern is that i though that the Facebook App for Android would be far more superior than the one for WebOs. However, i find that the Chat doesn't work. i get a notification saying i received a message and when i go to reply there is nothing. i have to log in to my computer to answer any Facebook IM.

Another thing that bothers me about the Android Facebook App is that on the News Feed i cannot choose from News Feed, Status Updates, Contacts Lists, Games, Links, Videos......on the Android version i am stuck just on the News Feed.

ANOTHER issue i am having with the Facebook App on Android is that i cannot load videos from it. From the News Feed i cannot Like or Comment immediately, i have to open the Comment and go from there.

They say there is an App for everything, well, i cannot find that Facebook third party app that brings me closer to the one i got used to in WebOs.

Before i get to Rooting my phone i ant to learn how rooting works. i am no much of a tech Guru and i keep hearing that Nexus phones are for developers.

it seems t me that all the Android Apps are robust, like they are missing that final QC step before releasing, and i just hate soooo many ADS! almost every free app i've downloaded come with ADS.

Their stock app market app seems like it is missing a lot of filters. it is hard to realize that they got a crap load of apps but they are so hard to find.

at least in my case i have not been ale to find that app that brings me that Synergy i am looking for in Messaging. i want to be able to TEXT and IM from the SAME App. like in WebOs we have that drop down menu in the conversation and we can choose where to send the message to. THAT's what i miss sooo much, i hate having a conversation with the same person in two or three different apps.

i have yet to find an app for notifications where i can clear individual notifications instead of hitting the Clear button on the stock notification bar. i would love to be able to delete emails form notifications too.

with all that said, i have to be patient and realize that WebOs also didn't have a lot of the features that i fell in love with if it wasn't for the Preware team and developers. i guess i just have to keep being patient.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    it seems to me now if u are into facebook android will be less and less of a viable option, good for MS and HP to pik up the slack -=)
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    it seems to me now if u are into facebook android will be less and less of a viable option, good for MS and HP to pik up the slack -=)
    agreed. Specially now that Nexus phones don't allow you to sync anything from Facebook. No contatcs, no calendar..... it does suck
    You clear individual notifications by clicking on them and going into the app, unfortunately.

I guess the free developers also need a way to make money. You get ads in free iOS apps too. Some of them offer a donation or paid version with no ads, if you really like the app.

Unfortunately I don't use Facebook enough to comment on it.

Text and IM from the same app. I'm not sure of that one, but I did mention earlier that on my other phone, a whole record of everything done was listed under the contact history of a contact(until history was deleted). I could go under the contact and continue any correspondence from there, using whatever method, even email and calling. My other phone is a Samsung so maybe this one has the same feature.

Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    NO, this is because of Google's fight with Facebook, they have blocked everything Facebook on exactlyonephone:

Google removes Facebook contact syncing on Nexus S

Every other Android phone works great with Facebook contact sync, calendar sync, photo upload, etc.

Have you been to AndroidCentral.com or xda-developers.com to seehow they work around it?
    Maybe he should try the Evo or Epic. I don't use Facebook enough(Zuckerberg is worrying me lol) but I believe I did see Facebook contact sync options when I set up my phones. Also I have a Facebook feed option on the current phone and I believe I saw this on the Intercept too.

I have to say this is a bit childish of Google though, inconveniencing customers over a dispute.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 06/03/2011 at 10:21 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast