View Poll Results: What is the perfect smartphone display size for you?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Under 3"

3 4.84%
  • 3" to 3.5"

6 9.68%
  • 3.5" to 3.9"

33 53.23%
  • 4" to 4.2"

12 19.35%
  • 4.3" or bigger

8 12.90%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The PhoneArena just completed a poll of nearly 4,000 readers asking the question, "What is the perfect smartphone display size for you?" In another thread we talked about having our own poll so here it is but with one added slot for the Veer.

Here are the results from the PhoneArena poll:

What is the perfect smartphone display size for you? (poll results)

"The results indicate that the majority of you, or 40.55% to be exact, find screens between 4.0 and 4.29 inches to be perfect for them. Anything in between 3.5 and 3.99 inches is what 31.5% of our readers prefer, and 24.86% of you are fans of displays measuring 4.3 inches and above. We were quite surprised to see that only 3.09% of you will fancy a smartphone with a screen size below 3.5 inches, which is not good news for the petite HP Veer 4G."
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 06/01/2011 at 09:54 AM.
  2.    #2  
    It should also be noted that PhoneArena tried hard to sway votes to the under 3.5" response by saying: "The smaller, the better. Navigation is easy and the smartphone fits nicely in the smallest of pockets."

They also tried hard to sway votes away from the 4.3"+ response by added the verbiage, "No display is too big for my hands." Obviously that statement is simply not true for anyone.
    I think I've hit the sweet spot with my Nexus S 4G. It's right there at 4" which, until I got it and started using it, I thought would be too big. Now when I pick up my old Pixi I can't believe how small the screen is. Any bigger, though, and I wouldn't be able to fit the thing in my pocket. It's pretty much as large a screen as I'm willing to get.
    I'd say for me, between 3.5 and 4.0, due to portability but still being able to read the screen. 3.2 is the absolute smallest I would take, but after using my "Hummer phone" with less eye strain, I can't go back to that unless it's a dumbphone. I did look at the Infuse and it's huge to me. The 4.3 was a better compromise. 3.7 would be a good size for the iPhone to go up to(the old HTC Incredible had that and it was perfect in my hand), but there's also a rumor of 4 inches, which is fine with me too. I think the Atrix is 4.0 and it's perfect in my hands.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    I think I've hit the sweet spot with my Nexus S 4G. It's right there at 4" which, until I got it and started using it, I thought would be too big. Now when I pick up my old Pixi I can't believe how small the screen is. Any bigger, though, and I wouldn't be able to fit the thing in my pocket. It's pretty much as large a screen as I'm willing to get.
    Where Samsung has stated they are going next is keeping the same size phones but putting their new edge-to-edge displays in them.

Look at how much of your phone face is bezel. The 4.88" x 2.48" Nexus S 4G body could hold an edge-to edge display of: SQRT(4.88^2+2.48^2) = 5.4"!

The existing Nexus S body could have a 5.4" edge-to-edge display.

That's where Samsung, LG, and HTC are quickly going. Rumor is that Apple will be going to the Sharp edge-to edge displays next year as well. The iPhone 4 body at 4.5" x 2.31" has to have a huge bezel because the screen is only 3.5".

The iPhone 4 body could have a 5.1" edge-to-edge display.

As our usage of phones stopped being phones and switched to surfing and movies, display sizes shot up. Junior High kids on a bus trip used to share earbuds to listen to each other's music. Now they are watching movies together on their phones. If all you want is a phone, you need 12 keys and a caller ID display. But if you are under 30, the one thing your phone never does is ring.

As technology catches up, case size growth will slow but display size will keep rising.
    I don't know about 5. It made the Dell Steak a mini-tab, although that could have also been due to the way it was built. Just as the Veer is so small you need a wireless headset, the Streak is too big to hold up to your ear and you need a wireless headset for that too, lol!

iPhone 4 could have fit a 3.7 inch screen in though. They need room for the earpiece and home button and front facing camera, remember? Otherwise the body needs to be larger I would think, and Steve hates "Hummer phones", lol. I think they could do well with 4 though, if it's well proportioned.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  7.    #7  
    We have not had nearly as many replies but our survey is showing the same trend as PhoneArena had.
    I can't vote because my opinion covers 3 of the responses, lol. 3.5 to 4.3. I'm flexible when it comes to screen size. I know I said earlier up to 4.0, however since the Atrix fit so well it my hand, I would jump on a 4.0 and up that is well proportioned to feel good in the hand.

9.    #9  
    It was just a year ago that the EVO became the first 4.3" phone. The PhoneArena writer was stunned that 25% of the 4000 respondants said 4.3"

It was just two months ago that the Infuse became the first 4.5" phone. If this survey is done again in 6 months, you would need the top slot to be 4.5"+

Our results are tiny compared to the 4,000 Phone Arena got but we are showing exactly their trend so far.
    milominderbinder, how do you create a poll when you create a new thread? thanks for info.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    As I posted in another thread.. where does the Veer 2.6" screen fit?

With 18 votes on this "Palm Centric" web site.. it has zero votes.

The general public will agree... Veer will bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by genearch View Post

To be honest, I don't think the Veer was/is/will be marketed to you. Zero votes on a site filled with power users and not teeny boppers makes perfect sense.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

The screen has to be as big as humanly possible while still allowing the phone to fit in my pocket. 4.3 or bigger is my answer.
    Twitter: dullgeek
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by protofa View Post
    milominderbinder, how do you create a poll when you create a new thread?
    It is an option at the bottom of the new thread screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by genearch View Post

I even added a size to the poll just for the Veer. I thought that with this being a HP Palm site the votes would be split between Veer and Pre 3 size.

Maybe as we get more votes in, we will get votes for the Veer.
    Quote Originally Posted by protofa View Post
    milominderbinder, how do you create a poll when you create a new thread? thanks for info.

When you create a new thread.....look at the VERY BOTTOM of the page. There is a check box for something like : "Create a new poll (or Post a new pol) with this thread?" There are other parameters you can fill out (question, number of replies, etc)

Check off the "Yes" and there it is.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    To be honest, I don't think the Veer was/is/will be marketed to you. Zero votes on a site filled with power users and not teeny boppers makes perfect sense.
    Your reply gave me a chill. HP is marketing to teeny boppers. Just like their commercial says, "I may be little but I pack a big punch!"

Who would relate to being little and needing to defend themselves? Kids who get picked on.

Back in the days of teeny boppers, the student parking lot had the old beaters. Today the best cars are in the student parking lot. The old cars are in the teacher parking lot.

It's the same with phones. A teacher or a mom may have an old dumbphone with a small display. The students have 3.5" iPhone's and bigger Androids. Some still have little dumbphones but they are self conscious about it.

At our junior high, some kids do not have a phone yet and some have small dumbphones but are embarrassed too. By the time they are 13 or 14, they mostly have iPhone's and bigger Androids.

HP is marketing to teeny boppers from a rerun of Happy Days. And the Veer is the Fonz who will protect them.

Why aren't they responding to the poll? Cellphones hadn't been invented yet.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 06/02/2011 at 12:41 PM.
    My suspicions of the Veer failing are increased a little more when a poll of nearly 4000 users say overwhelmingly (at 97%) that they are not interested in a phone with that screen size. Couple that with the inconvenience of Veer's magnetic adapter system and I think the number would change even further.

There's no doubt people purchasing the Veer will be former Pixi owners but I just don't see this device being a hit with everyone else. I hope I'm wrong but this poll really confirms my fears.

On the other hand this is good news if the rumor of a 4" WebOS slab are true!
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Who would relate to being little and needing to defend themselves? Kids who get picked on.
    I think you’re being a little over-dramatic. The veer is targeted at chicks. End of story.

As for these kind’s of polls, just take it with a grain of salt that 100% of the replies were from people that actively visit phone related websites…

That said, I’d prefer a 4” phone with the smallest bezel possible while still making it easy to rest against my ear and hear the caller.

-Suntan
    The Veer is marketed to who will buy it.... that's the Palm way of doing it.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    The Veer is marketed to who will buy it...
    Oh oh, now they're in trouble!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast