View Poll Results: What is the perfect smartphone display size for you?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Under 3"

3 4.84%
  • 3" to 3.5"

6 9.68%
  • 3.5" to 3.9"

33 53.23%
  • 4" to 4.2"

12 19.35%
  • 4.3" or bigger

8 12.90%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    me personally when the Iphone launched intially 3.5 to me was the peferct screen size for a mobile device. To me a cell phone now equipped with touchscreen as a majority should still be mobile enough to stuff in a pants pocket, or on a hip holster COMFORTABLY, not a mini tablet. Google started this huge screen nonsense for what reason I dont know, but if you need more realestate on a mobile device then get a tablet, or a laptop.
    Was it Google or HTC? Google didn't have a super large screen on the Nexus One. Did HTC design the Evo by themselves?

And I thought similar about the Evo at the time, it was a mini-tablet. Well it is a big slab phone for sure. I love the screen real estate though. You cannot get eye strain unless you're perhaps reading for a long time maybe.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 06/05/2011 at 07:47 PM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    According to 49 precentral voters.....kinda skewed towards bigger phones...
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    ...Google started this huge screen nonsense for what reason I dont know...
    There are 98 Android phones available world-wide right now.

There are lots of small Androids coming out in 2011:
    2.8" Samsung Sprint Replenish
    2.8" Alcatel One Touch
    2.8" Spice Mi-270
    3.0" Sony Ericsson Xperia mini
    3.0" Sony Ericsson Xperia mini pro
    3.0" Vodafone 858 Smart
    3.0" Sony Ericsson W8a Walkman
    3.2" T-Mobile HTC Wildfire S
    3.2" ZTE Amigo

There have been many small Androids in the past:
    2.8" Acer beTouch E140
    2.8" LG Cosmos Touch
    3.0" Motorola XT301
    3.0" Motorola Spice XT300
    3.2" LG Optimus Chic
    3.2" HTC Gratia/Liberty
    3.2" LG Optimus T
    3.2" Motorola MOTO MT810lx
    3.2" LG Optimus M

2.8" HTC Tattoo/Click
    3.1" Motorola CLIQ
    3.2" Sprint HTC Hero

3.2" T-Mobile G1

It is not a conspiracy to not offer small phones (3.5" and under). The Android OEM's are trying to sell every size phone they can come up with.

All these phones plus the two dozen other small Android are 3% of the 100 million Androids sold or 3 million units. 97% of customers don't buy small screens no matter how many models are offered.

With 5 million units in 12 months the Sprint EVO alone out-sold all the small Android screens ever made.

Maybe HP/Palm is on to something making the screen even smaller. No one is trying even smaller.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 06/06/2011 at 08:56 AM.
  5.    #45  
    We now have someone who would prefer a screen under 3".
    Thanks for the update.

Hopefully HP sees you bumping this thread daily, and stops making the Veer before it's too late.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    There are 98 Android phones available world-wide right now.
    Anyone happen to know how many unique models of Android phones are being made? After you filter out the carrier copy renames.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    I would almost bet money that the people taking the PhoneArena poll aren't much different then PreCentral forum members. We're a very specific slice of pie. HP want's more then that slice...
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
  9.    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by RafRol View Post
    I would almost bet money that the people taking the PhoneArena poll aren't much different then PreCentral forum members. We're a very specific slice of pie. HP want's more then that slice...
    Our sample of only 58 users so far has 2 wanting a display under 3". Phonearena sampled 4,000 people who also read smartphone blogs. Even that large sample is not a random sample.

Google's data classifies devices as:
    Small 2-3.5"
    Normal 3.5-5"
    Large 4.5-7"
    XLarge above 7"

Out of over 100,000,000 million Android devices sold over three years, 3.3% are small.

There are dozens of small Android models. Combined they are 3.3% of the market. The 100 million is not a sample. It is the market.

The Veer is going in the opposite direction as the market but a contrarian strategy may work.
    There are even dumbphones with bigger screens than the Veer. HP may be going for that market, but if you have a phone with a decent sized screen, why downsize? Unless you don't do much but take calls. Then I can see perhaps those people going for it.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Our sample of only 58 users so far has 2 wanting a display under 3". Phonearena sampled 4,000 people who also read smartphone blogs. Even that large sample is not a random sample.

Google's data classifies devices as:
    Small 2-3.5"
    Normal 3.5-5"
    Large 4.5-7"
    XLarge above 7"

Out of over 100,000,000 million Android devices sold over three years, 3.3% are small.

There are dozens of small Android models. Combined they are 3.3% of the market. The 100 million is not a sample. It is the market.

The Veer is going in the opposite direction as the market but a contrarian strategy may work.
    Google's own data may not be random enough either; they do point out that "This data is based on the number of Android devices that have accessed Android Market within a 7-day period ending on the data collection date noted below."

Thus it doesn't thoroughly include those that don't bother purchasing apps, and I've seen many smartphone owners that don't bother with apps during my time with Verizon Wireless. They are typically not tech savvy (they only care about accessing their email).

I don't have data to backup this claim, but I'm going to assume that the majority of those Android owners that don't purchase apps have smaller screen sizes. There may be more of them then the data suggests.

If indeed HP is marketing to the dumb-phone crowd (who atypically purchases apps) then they me be on to something. Contrarian indeed.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
  12.    #52  
    Google's own data may not be random enough either; they do point out that "This data is based on the number of Android devices that have accessed Android Market within a 7-day period ending on the data collection date noted below."
    webOS and Android phones that are in service on a cell or WiFi network access their markets daily to make automatic updates and report if there are other updates available. As you know, even when users have turned their displays "Off" the phone is still on.

That is why the estimate is that this would be over 100 million that would have accessed the market at least once in the past week.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    webOS and Android phones that are in service on a cell or WiFi network access their markets daily to make automatic updates and report if there are other updates available. As you know, even when users have turned their displays "Off" the phone is still on.

That is why the estimate is that this would be over 100 million that would have accessed the market at least once in the past week.
    I didn't know that Android phones access the Market automatically. Is this by default?

P.S. WebOS 2.x does, but 1.x ...
  14.    #54  
    I didn't know that Android phones access the Market automatically. Is this by default?

P.S. WebOS 2.x does, but 1.x ...
    Yes. And just like webOS, if the phone is on a network there is no way to prevent it from the daily check-ins.

Even webOS 1.03 would tell you when it had found updates to apps and webOS. Remember the update that prevented you from opening ipk's via email? When we got the daily message that the Pre had found an update, we ignored it.

I would need to double check but I am certain iPhone does as well.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 06/10/2011 at 07:41 AM.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123