View Poll Results: What is the perfect smartphone display size for you?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Under 3"

3 4.84%
  • 3" to 3.5"

6 9.68%
  • 3.5" to 3.9"

33 53.23%
  • 4" to 4.2"

12 19.35%
  • 4.3" or bigger

8 12.90%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    The Veer is marketed to who will buy it.... that's the Palm way of doing it.
    Ouch!
  2.    #22  
    Our sample is only 28 responses but the trend remains the same and pretty much matches the same trend as the 4,000.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    I think you’re being a little over-dramatic. The veer is targeted at chicks. End of story.

As for these kind’s of polls, just take it with a grain of salt that 100% of the replies were from people that actively visit phone related websites…

That said, I’d prefer a 4” phone with the smallest bezel possible while still making it easy to rest against my ear and hear the caller.

-Suntan
    Veer is for females? That's not how that one commercial played out. That boxer(or wrestler, not sure) didn't seem like he was trying to appeal only to women. Sports figures are often used to appeal to guys. But the commercial seemed general to me.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Veer is for females? That's not how that one commercial played out. That boxer(or wrestler, not sure) didn't seem like he was trying to appeal only to women. Sports figures are often used to appeal to guys. But the commercial seemed general to me.
    He said; Chicks.

You're not a Chick, you're a Lady.
    Actually comparing the Veer and the Pacquiao commercial, I'd say it's targeted at small people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

As for these kind’s of polls, just take it with a grain of salt that 100% of the replies were from people that actively visit phone related websites…
    That's the point I was trying to make in the other thread;
    Those voting aren't HP's target.
    People with dumbphones aren't members of tech forums.
    They probably won't join this forum until they buy the Veer.
    This poll, and the other, mean absolutely nothing.
    I looked on Google, he's a boxer. The last time I checked, there usually are not a huge amount of female boxing fans. At least looking at US women. Therefore the Veer is not "chick" oriented IMO. That old "artsy" commercial with the Pre could be interpreted that way though. As well as those Pre Verizon ads.

BTW, thanks Berd!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    To be honest, I don't think the Veer was/is/will be marketed to you. Zero votes on a site filled with power users and not teeny boppers makes perfect sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    That's the point I was trying to make in the other thread;
    Those voting aren't HP's target.
    People with dumbphones aren't members of tech forums.
    They probably won't join this forum until they buy the Veer.
    This poll, and the other, mean absolutely nothing.
    That's the point I was trying to make in this thread. Oh and +1000000000 on the fact that members here do not roll with 2002 vintage samsung flip phones or Motorola Startacs.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  9.    #29  
    Sales reps sell the phones they like.

Those Best Buy or AT&T reps are on sites taking polls like this.

If you want to sell a pretty unknown phone based on the OS, you need sales reps who will want to take time to show it off.

The PhoneArena poll shows that 65% think 4" and bigger are the phones to buy. 32% prefer phones the size of iPhones.

123 people liked phones smaller than 3.5". We don't know how many of those prefer 2.6".
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 06/02/2011 at 10:33 PM.
    So what does a sales rep who doesn't like dumbphones do when the buyer wants to buy a dumbphone?
    So what does a sales rep who doesn't like dumbphones do when the buyer wants to buy a dumbphone?
    Take a lunch/smoke brake
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Take a lunch/smoke brake
  13.    #33  
    Let's assume that the feature phone owners get the best sales rep ever.

If a prospect says that they want a basic phone, the rep should ask about carriers and what features they want:
    • Phone
    • Voice Dial (requirements in 30 states)
    • Texting
    • Basic Camera with autofocus & zoom
    • Music
    ↑ ↑ feature phone - no data plan ↑ ↑
    • GPS Navigation (like a Garmin 4.3" or 5")
    • Decent camera with autofocus, zoom, flash
    • Show photos to friends/family
    • Record 1080p HD videos and show them on the spot
    • Video chat with family or friends
    • Internet
    • Facebook
    • Movies, TV, Netflix, Hulu

If they only want phone, text, camera, and music, probe to confirm and show the Eternity II or some other "Free", no data plan, 3", microSD, autofocus, zoom, voice dial feature phone. They save having a minimum $360 2-year data plan.

If you ask a Best Buy Mobile manager, a surprising number of feature phone users want GPS, Video Chat, HD Camcorder, or Internet. So show them something like the $149 4.5" Infuse that can double as a full GPS or whatever they liked.

Ask if they have any concerns and address the objections. Help them narrow options. Close. Help them set up their phone and get them started with apps.

The rep may not realize it but a surprising number of prospects will happen to pick the phones the rep likes best.

The actual sales experience may be a little different...
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 06/03/2011 at 05:09 PM.
  14.    #34  
    We have hit 35 responses and still showing the same trend. So far none of our HP/Palm fans would prefer a display under 3".
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    To be honest, I don't think the Veer was/is/will be marketed to you. Zero votes on a site filled with power users and not teeny boppers makes perfect sense.
    But I thought this:

http://forums.precentral.net/other-h...ml#post2971603

The funny thing is that people have been buying them and then reporting in here how much they like them. Somebody needs to tell them they have been tricked!
  16.    #36  
    Here is one of our strongest supporters, Zach Epstein, addressing this idea this afternoon:

Boy Genius Report HP Veer 4G review

Zach affirms in his review that the Veer is not for power users.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 06/03/2011 at 08:28 PM.
    That review is dead on if you expect to use your smartphone for everything. I ain't touching a small screen ever again unless I want to go back to carrying more than 1 device.

18.    #38  
    I guess Phone Arena and everyone else should have thought just to look at Google's data on the percetage of phones and tablets:

Small 2-3.5"
    Normal 3.5-5"
    Large 4.5-7"
    XLarge above 7"

Out of over 100,000,000 million Android devices in use, 3.3% are small.

That almost exactly matches the Phone Arena data of 3.09% wanting small.

So more have small than want small as we might guess.

Our small sample here shows 7% would want 3" to 3.5" and no one wants less than 3" so far.

It should be noted that if this were the percentage of iPhone screens it would be 100% small because no other size except 3.5" is allowed.
    It seems that the idea around here is if only 3% of the market want very small phones that the Veer will fail.

Think again.

That's 3% where the Veer has almost no competition and utterly rules.
    For anybody who prefers such a small smartphone - is there any competition to the Veer? Not really.

Nobody expects the Veer to be a runaway success and beating any IPhone or big screen Android devices. That's not it's role.
    But if the Veer can capture 1-3 percent of the market by itself - that would be a huge success. And that would be in addition to any market share the Pre3 can get.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    I could maybe see that for people who are already used to small screen dumbphones. They may not mind a small screen smartphone so much. One problem you have though in the US is AT&T being the only US carrier. I would much rather get a smartphone you can do everything on without squinting, at their rates. Plus 3.2" is a better compromise for small screen. Small but just enough to read clearly on and perhaps view short videos and the like.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast