1.    #1  
    Hi all,

Apple is always so tight lipped about it's upcoming models and services, that the icloud pronouncement is a bit of a surprise. Is it b/c Apple isn't announcing any new hardware?

Here are twin articles discussing what to expect from Apple, please see both links...

Take care,

Jay

Article one:

Why Did Apple Pre-Announce Its Announcement?
    By NICK BILTON, May 31, 2011, 1:05 pm

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/0...ref=technology

New product announcements by Apple usually take place with the secrecy of a clandestine military operation.

At the company’s recent announcements, for example, billboards and products were shrouded in black sheets and protected by Apple employees until after Steven P. Jobs, the company’s chief executive, unveiled his latest wares.

Yet on Tuesday, in an unusual move for the company, Apple pre-announced what it plans to showcase next week at the annual Apple Worldwide Developers Conference. The company said it would unveil new software for its desktop operating system and for its mobile iOS devices. The company also said it would unveil iCloud, a new cloud computing offering.

Article two:

Jobs to Unveil Apple’s ‘Next Generation’ Software
    By NICK BILTON, May 31, 2011, 10:05 am

Jobs to Unveil Apple's 'Next Generation' Software - NYTimes.com

Apple said on Tuesday that it would announce “next generation” software for its computer and mobile operating systems next week in a keynote address at a developers conference.

The announcement will be made Monday by Steven P. Jobs, Apple’s chief executive, and a team of other executives at Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference. Mr. Jobs has been on medical leave since January, though he made a surprise appearance in March to introduce a new iPad.

Apple said the new software would include iCloud, which will be the company’s cloud computing offering. The company will also show a new release of its OS X operating system for desktop and laptop computers, called Lion, and iOS 5, the latest update to Apple’s mobile operating system, which supports the iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    The iCloud part is interesting but this seems to be the norm for WWDC. It's usually the hardware that is the secret of the show.
    There something on the wind, and it smells like fear.

The 2010 press release differs greatly:

Steve Jobs to Kick Off Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference 2010 with Keynote Address on Monday, June 7
    Apple Worldwide Developers Conference Kicks Off June 7 in San Francisco

from the 2011:
    Apple to Unveil Next Generation Software at Keynote Address on Monday, June 6

Could it be HP's headlights got a little bit brighter in Apple's rear view mirror?
    Last edited by sinsin07; 05/31/2011 at 08:38 PM.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    The iCloud part is interesting but this seems to be the norm for WWDC. It's usually the hardware that is the secret of the show.
    Hi,

I thought the exact same thing.....I was also thinking with Jobs not at the helm are they facing a similar circumstance as then did when he was pushed out years ago??? Apple suffered with severe market shrinkage and lack of new products.

If there aren't products announced is it due to his absence?

They should be planning a long term replacement for Jobs...after all he has been ill on and off and left for medical leave 3 times a rather brief period of time for a man who is just a few months older than I am, (Jobs turned 56 this past Feb 24th).

I wish him the very best as liver transplant is no cake walk....you are stuck taking anti rejection meds for the rest of your life, they compromise your health by making you partially immunosuppressed. You then become susceptible to infection that would normally not be an issue in a health person of his age. Dormant cancer cells, which in the vast majority of us are already present in our bodies and lie dormant can be triggered in a immunosuppressed patient....even coming in contact with a child or an adult that was not vaccinated for routine illnesses can be a major health risk...

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi,

I thought the exact same thing.....I was also thinking with Jobs not at the helm are they facing a similar circumstance as then did when he was pushed out years ago??? Apple suffered with severe market shrinkage and lack of new products.

If there aren't products announced is it due to his absence?
    Huh?

They're announcing major upgrades of their operating systems and iCloud, which, by most indications, will include a far more consumer-friendly music streaming service.

Their second generation tablet was announced just 3 months ago -- during Steve Jobs' medical leave.

They announced an iMac refresh last month. There's chatter about a new MacBook Air announcement in the next few weeks.

I'm not sure how you can come to the conclusion that Apple's stagnating just because WWDC is most likely going to focus on software.

I think a more likely reason for the pre-announcements (which also includes the iPhone version of iWork that was stealthily released today) is because they want to manage expectations. Either that or they have a surprising One More Thing planned.
    IMO they may have done it to drum up excitement in the tech world. Android has been stealing lots of thunder lately. iOS 5 right around the corner with good things in store will draw people's attention back to Apple. New MacBook Airs due soon too. Obviously the iPad 2 is still a huge draw, but you now have techies saying iPhone 4 is getting long in the tooth. Mainstream is different but techies were ho humming over the white iPhone finally being released.

It could also have been done to show the business world and investors that they intend to remain relevant.

This is just my opinion.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  7.    #7  
    Hi,

Apple doesn't announce how much they even spent on paper clips, Apple doesn't answer routine questions from stock analysts and customers. Apple doesn't even answer letters from customers...so that Apple pre-announced something is amazing...Also all the things you mentioned were planned BEFORE Jobs' leave, (after all major new product lines take a very long tome from design, implementation, testing & marketing. My point is without him for any length of time will they continue being a leader in tech??? After all years ago, Apple had a MAJOR problems when Jobs was gone.

Oh BTW I made a major Faux paux I criticized Apple....GOD forbid...it's no wonder when that study came out that many Apple fan's had EEG & MRI's done that they saw similar brain chemical reactions as they do for people who are highly religious while thinking of their religion. I'm sure that's why Apple Faniboys & girls blow a gasket when you criticize them.

A few weeks ago, I mentioned on this site, that Apple doesn't routinely answer customers letters, something they themselves said to me....this because I faxed them 24 times in 12 months...all I wanted to do was to have them work with the Library of Congress's national Library Service for the blind & disabled. (LOC/LS). LOC/NLS records audio books for the exclusive use of the blind and physically disabled. They are encoded in a proprietary format that can't be played back on a computer, so that it can't be ripped into another format, (by an act of Congress, the LOC/NLS distributes books without a payment to the author, as would happen when a book is sold)...therefore access to these recordings is royalty....the LOC/NLS gives us a desktop player on full time loan, this way if it breaks they replace it and repair it for free.

However if you want a portable player you have to buy it...they start at $350 each! Now that means I would have to buy three of them, one for each my Mom, my Fiancee both are members of the LOC/NLS...that's over a thousand dollars.

Apple was sued by the State of Mass. for violations of the AMA, (Americans with Disabilities Act), as Itunes and Ipods were not usable for the blind.

In order to settle the suit, Apple made changes in who Itunes works and that's why the Ipod nano gen 5 has audio feed back cues. (Not all functions have audio cues but it can be programed to do so).

I had gotten permission from the LOC/NLS to approach Apple to se if we could come up with a program that would read (the Ipod can do so).

All I needed from them is to find out if the Ipod can be programed to play the
    LOC/NLS proprietary encoding & to see if it is possible to use an authorization token on an Ipod, (all aftermarket portable players, (there are approx 4 companies manufacturing portable players for sale in the USA), ave a unique serial number that number is then registered with LOC/NLS. LOC/NLS then send you an authorization code via emailed link. That link allows you the ability to download books...BTW the answer to that question was also yes...it took over 12 months to get an answer. yet according to the terms of the settlement with the State of Mass. they knew they would have to make new Ipods meet the standards of LOC/NLS.....

Apple is just stingy with info..plan and simple....

It took 24 faxes and over 50 phone calls to get that one question answered. yet the LOC/NLS a huge government agency was able to give me an answer right away.

When I mentioned that Apple doesn't rottenly answer customers letters, you Apple fans almost bit my head off.

APPLE IS A COMPANY NOT A RELIGION...Oh BTW I am entitled to my opinion with out ever Apple fan burning Ipod boxes on my front lawn.

Oh in case anyone is interested the new director of LOC/NLS, (I had been dealing with the former director who has since retired), has made the playback of these books on Ipods, smartphones etc a priority. There are over 1.1 million LOC/NLS users currently in the USA...we expect that total to grow rapidly as the Baby Boomers age and have age related disabilities....

The encoding that LOC/NLS uses is a standard that almost all countries are now adopting..in fact with permission I can download off of servers from most other countries, (as long as they are in English), as my ability to listen to Spanish and Hebrew have diminished over the years).

It has gotten to the point on this site, that I’m going to avoid posting anything about Apple at all b/c Apple fans have a cow over it.
    It has gotten to the point on this site, that I’m going to avoid posting anything about Apple at all b/c Apple fans have a cow over it.
    Nobody's having a cow about what you posted. You just speculated on what it would mean if Apple doesn't announce any products at WWDC. The original article you linked states Apple will be announcing at least 3 major products.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Nobody's having a cow about what you posted. You just speculated on what it would mean if Apple doesn't announce any products at WWDC. The original article you linked states Apple will be announcing at least 3 major products.
    Hi,

if I'm not mistaken one article says three and one says none....however I did read about 10 articles today over what all the 'EXPERTS' think will or won't be present by Apple, and I may not have posted the any of the ones that says none, (either way these are all things that were designed when Jobs was still working)....

But I'm thru posting anything article over Apple....I had to answer a ton of comments in the thread about Apple and the ADA. There were a number of PM's over what I stated happened with Apple, (a number weren't terrible nice b/c I dared to say a harsh word about Apple) and LOC/NLS and then I was asked to look up a bunch of info for MP3 & smartphone apps for the disabled...I thru, I'm done.... Apple fans get too cranked up over nothing!

take care,

Jay

PS I'm not anti Apple, I just think they need to treat customers better...I can't think of any major firm that admits publicly that they don't routinely answer customers letters....having been in business all my working life, I can safely say that NONE of my employees left a phone message go without be responded to the day they got the call and the same thing for letters as well.

Any employee who failed to so was fired...when they were hired the first thing I told all of my employees that the only valid reason for not responding to a customer the day they contact us, was b/c you had passed away! (Mind you that was before cell phones, so now more than ever there is no excuse for not responding to your customers....it wrong and it's arrogant.

I should also mention that I did buy my Fiancée an Ipod Nano gen 5 last year...she loves it...I have only tried it once when I loaded it up with music for her....therefore I do know for fact that it is able to give voice prompts.
    wow... who's having the cow here? some guy just made a small comment on your post and you have a cow... along with a lengthy (and repeated) rant. seems like someone is still holding a personal resentment over his 24 faxes and 50 calls.

if you can't take responses... then maybe you shouldnt post.

Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    There something on the wind, and it smells like fear.
    [...]
    Could it be HP's headlights got a little bit brighter in Apple's rear view mirror?
    If Apple actually fear anyone (which I doubt) then surely wouldn't it would be the companies with the marketshare, proven success and, you know, actual products available?

You honestly think Apple is responding to HP??
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    If Apple actually fear anyone (which I doubt) then surely wouldn't it would be the companies with the marketshare, proven success and, you know, actual products available?

You honestly think Apple is responding to HP??
    Hm - they might actually.

I agree that Android is the obvious and immediate danger to Apple for the reasons you listed.

But HP has the potential to being the bigger threat to Apple in the medium to long term. Android is fragmented over a lot of companies. That's a strength in some ways and now led to Android being bigger than Apple in market share.
    But it's also a weakness.

HP - since aquiring Palm - is the only company in a position to do what Apple can do - be a one-stop shop. Just like Apple HP controls the hard- and software of its platform (well in theory Nokia and RIM too - but both are too weak IMHO).

HPalm has on many counts the better OS already. Now they start to push hardware than can really rival the IPhones. If they can get app catalog on the fast lane then - yes - HP would become the biggest competition.

Just like Apple they also sell desktops and laptops and can offer integration. And HP bought the other parts they need (music library, cloud services) to offer a complete set of integrated services.

Bundling webos on all future HP computers could turn out to be a genius move. Even though HP (unlike Apple) doesn't own its own desktop OS - they do sell more PCs than anybody else. And if well done the end user won't notice much difference between a Mac with ITunes or a HP PC with webos bundling.

HP will be the only other company that also controls almost all of its platform and is big enough to make full use of it.

Being number 2 behind a horde of Android phones is bad enough for Apple - but Apple is still much bigger than any single Android company.

But being gradually demoted to number 3 behind Android and HP webos would really hurt. Anybody who thinks that this is impossible - please take a moment and think back on how fast Android came up from 0. It's only been a couple of years since Android appeared and many reviewers were *very* skeptical of Android.

None of that is a given - but Apple would be right to worry about HP.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    Hm - they might actually.
    HP - since aquiring Palm - is the only company in a position to do what Apple can do - be a one-stop shop. Just like Apple HP controls the hard- and software of its platform (well in theory Nokia and RIM too - but both are too weak IMHO).
    The only company in a position to do what Apple can do? I'd say Amazon and Google are in the better position to compete with Apple.

Just like Apple they also sell desktops and laptops and can offer integration. And HP bought the other parts they need (music library, cloud services) to offer a complete set of integrated services.

Bundling webos on all future HP computers could turn out to be a genius move. Even though HP (unlike Apple) doesn't own its own desktop OS - they do sell more PCs than anybody else. And if well done the end user won't notice much difference between a Mac with ITunes or a HP PC with webos bundling.
    There's a slight difference. What sets Apple apart from HP (and the rest) is its software/hardware relationship. The only thing HP has that resembles Apple in that regards is webOS on smart phones and tablets..

But being gradually demoted to number 3 behind Android and HP webos would really hurt. Anybody who thinks that this is impossible - please take a moment and think back on how fast Android came up from 0. It's only been a couple of years since Android appeared and many reviewers were *very* skeptical of Android.
    You're quite the optimist! webOS doesn't even register on most charts today.

----

And, back on topic. This isn't out of character for Apple to do, just take a look at their history.
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    I thought "pre-announce" was (c) Palm/HP.