1.    #1  
    Our siter-site, Android Central, report on 60 New Androids that were leaked, announced or launched in May, 2011.

Asus
    ASUS unveils the Padfone -- a tablet/phone hybrid

Acer
    OfficeMax now selling the Acer Iconia Tab A500

Barns & Noble
    Barnes & Noble brings an all-new Nook -- 6-inches of Android 2.1 on an E-Ink Pearl display

Casio
    Casio G'zOne Commano's touchscreen rekindles a funny, broken feeling

HTC
    HTC Sensation hands-on - Coming to T-Mobile June 8
    Sprint EVO 3D June 23? - HTC Evo 3D to be $200
    Rumored Ice Cream Sandwich test device surfaces
    US Cellular's HTC Merge officially launches May 31
    HTC Panache 4G unboxed
    HTC Salsa and ChaCha final software gets leaked
    HTC Salsa reportedly exclusive
    HTC Flyer now available at Best Buy - HTC Flyer video hands-on (Wifi-only version)
    myTouch 4G Slide / HTC Doubleshot - Coming to T-Mobile July 6
    HTC Marvel / Wildfire S - Coming to T-Mobile July 6
    HTC Lead headed to AT&T, system dump leaked
    HTC Holiday and EVO View 4G ROMs leak out
    HTC Puccini: A 10-Inch LTE tablet headed to AT&T?
    Droid Incredible 2 review
    HTC ThunderBolt Review
    Is the HTC Kingdom Sprint's newer, smaller black slab?

Huawei
    Huawei Ascend X brings 4G to Cincinnati Bell
    Huawei Ideos S7 Slim - Coming to T-Mobile in August

Kyocera
    Kyocera Echo review

LG
    LG Optimus 3D initial review and hands-on
    Hands-on with the LG Revolution - LG Revolution officially coming May 26 for $249
    LG Optimus Pad now available from Rogers
    T-Mobile G2X review
    LG Optimus Black coming to North America - LG Optimus Black unboxing
    LG Genesis specs -- every last one

Motorola
    Droid 3 appears in Verizon pages
    Droid X2 available now from Verizon - Motorola Droid X2 help videos - Droid X2 initial review
    Sprint Motorola Photon (Atrix) June 9
    Motorola Atrix now available in the UK

Pantech
    Pantech Crossover hits AT&T on June 5

Samsung
    Samsung Droid Charge from Verizon - Samsung Droid Charge review
    Samsung Nexus S 4G review - Sprint's Nexus S 4G available today for $199 on contract
    Samsung Infuse 4G review - Samsung Infuse 4G hits AT&T on May 15
    Samsung Galaxy Mini mini review
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 at the FCC
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 to ship with Android 3.1 - Best Buy preps Tab 10.1 - Tab 10.1 review
    Sprint's upcoming Samsung SPH-D600 gives entry-level a whole new meaning
    T-Mobile's upcoming Exhibit 4G photoshoot - Samsung Exhibit 4G - Coming to T-Mobile June 8
    Samsung / T-Mobile Hercules - Coming to T-Mobile September 26
    (3) Samsung Galaxy S II AT&T Attain, Verizon Function and Sprint Within?
    Samsung Replenish video hands-on
    Samsung Gem review
    (2) Samsung launches Galaxy S Wifi 4.0, 5.0

Sony
    Xperia Play video hands-on - Xperia Play preorders starting to reach mobile gamers

Other
    (8) NTT Docomo's summer lineup: 9 smartphones, 8 are Android

Android Central also reported that the Veer was released with the Pre 3 and TouchPad expected soon. BlackBerry will have a new phone too, the BlackBerry Bold 9900.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 06/01/2011 at 01:23 PM.
    Whoa!!!!
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    Whoa!!!!
    I know it sounds like a lot but the Android makers actually need to be stepping it up.

Look at it this way. This is devices, not just phones.

A portable device maker needs at least one good offering at each of the roughly 7 sizes:
    XS <3"
    S 3.5"
    M 4"
    L 4.3"
    XL 4.5"+ phone
    XXL 7"-9" tablet
    XXXL 10"+ tablet

At&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, US Cellular, and Verizon each want a version customized for them so they can "differentiate" their products. Plus the base unit goes to the Rest Of World market.

For instance the new 4.3" Samsung Galaxy S II in the ROW will be the Sprint Within, Verizon Function, and AT&T Attain, etc. Plus there is the Galaxy Mini, Galaxy Tab 7, Tab, 8.9, Tab 10.1. The 4.5" AT&T Infuse will next be the T-Mobile Hercules, etc.

So Samsung offers 20 Android products but really needs about twice that number. As does HTC, LG, Motorola, and Sony so you have 7 sizes x 6 carriers x 5 makers = 210 Android devices needed in the Android market plus the other 8 makers.

There are only 98 Android devices in the market right now. Of the 60 new Android, 45 will replace existing models. They still will need at least 100 more current models. And then everything has to be refreshed every year at least.

Android is seeing 400,000 activations/day right now or about 145 million a year and they are increasing. Android needs about 200 models at about 1 million each.

Smartphones went from one-size-fits-all Palm then BlackBerry then iPhone to styles and sizes for everyone.
    Great fact-based explanation.
    But geez, the Android flotilla is just absurd.
    Talk about world domination.
    At this pace who can keep up?
    Today's new Android phone may be outdated by end of next month, week, or day.
    I'll just calmly relax in my easy chair with my Palm Pre minus until the HP Pre3 surfaces.
    It just makes android phones seem generic now. You don't get anything special, just another clone. I think this hurts the android platform, but thats just my opinion. I don't think any one platform should have more than ten phones. This must make it a nightmare for cell phone dealers. How can they possibly keep up with information on newer phones?
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    It just makes android phones seem generic now. You don't get anything special, just another clone. I think this hurts the android platform, but thats just my opinion. I don't think any one platform should have more than ten phones. This must make it a nightmare for cell phone dealers. How can they possibly keep up with information on newer phones?
    Agreed, and all the more difficult for the consumer to make a good decision. Especially if the carrier of choice does not offer any WebOS devices. The consumer then must try to select an Android device from a very large selection.
    I'm wondering how Android Central can keep up with the reviews and stuff. Do they get demo units as well? Are they doing daily giveaways or something? Wow. That's a LOT of devices.

And does it ever happen that a review would go like, "Yup, this is exactly the same as the previous model, EXCEPT.. this includes TWO vibrators. Ka-ching ka-ching."

Amazing.
    Android is ubiquitous but not exactly generic. The top models have excellent features to distinguish from the not so great Androids. Speed, great camera, storage included on newer devices, HDMI out, 4G, big screen, etc. Those are the phones that will likely come out on top. The low end ones will come off looking generic or set for prepaid.

Some of those Androids on that list are also tablets, which is technically another category.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by fred1955 View Post
    ...Today's new Android phone may be outdated by end of next month, week, or day...
    Phones are outdated before they ship. We already know about the Galaxy S III and the Galaxy S II has not even shipped in the US yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    This must make it a nightmare for cell phone dealers...
    10 years ago a Sprint dealer had about 40 models. Today instead of being almost all dumbphones they are quickly becoming smartphones. If you want their most popular size of 4" to 4.3", you have the Nexus, Epic, EVO, and Shift: two with keyboards, two without. You are looking at 2 phones, not 40.
    Quote Originally Posted by fred1955 View Post
    Agreed, and all the more difficult for the consumer to make a good decision.
    At the 4.3" size, a store will have a Samsung, HTC, Motorola, LG, and maybe one more, each with their own claim to fame. Seven sizes with about 5 top models at each size = 35.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furuboru View Post
    I'm wondering how Android Central can keep up with the reviews and stuff. Do they get demo units as well? Are they doing daily giveaways or something? Wow...
    Android Central will test every model as they come out. Only a handful of articles each day may be about new phones for your carrier.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 06/01/2011 at 01:24 PM.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Android is ubiquitous but not exactly generic. The top models have excellent features to distinguish from the not so great Androids. Speed, great camera, storage included on newer devices, HDMI out, 4G, big screen, etc. Those are the phones that will likely come out on top. The low end ones will come off looking generic or set for prepaid.

Some of those Androids on that list are also tablets, which is technically another category.
    Yes, these are 60 phones and tablets from tiny to huge. If you are in an athletic shoe store, you are only looking at your size for your sport so out of hundreds of pairs, there are only a couple that you are considering. It's the same with phones.

Sprint is about to introduce the EVO 3D, Samsung Galaxy S II Attain, and the Motorola Photon all at 4.3". Each is so different that people already know the one they want and probably will not even seriously consider the others. When you see them in the store, the HTC is qHD 3D, the S II is SAMOLED+, and the Photon is a Tegra. Customer will have no trouble telling them apart.

It is like asking a Chevy guy what he thinks about the Ford F150. To someone not into trucks, they may all look pretty much the same.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 06/01/2011 at 01:21 PM.
    I didn't know I'd want the GSM Evo(ok Inspire/HTC Desire HD) until I handled it in the store and compared it to the Atrix. I would have bought an Atrix over the Inspire before then(better specs). Believe it or not, but the CDMA Evo didn't draw me in as much as I thought it would but I was impressed with the Desire HD.

not sure how that happened.

But I think the wide variety of Android choice is plus because you can still want the OS but not the phone hardware of certain models or the carrier, so you can choose your hardware and carrier.

Similar to what people say about webOS, good OS, but questionable hardware. Get it on some hot hardware and we'll talk, some people say. Android has that and the carrier dilemma covered. maybe a bit too well, but you do have choice.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    The android barrage makes me sick. Your phone is outdated within weeks of its release. Who wants another "me too" phone?
    The flip side: Popular "me too" phones equals app development, accessories and more device support though. Your phone won't be outdated for at least a year, if it has very good specs. Those 4G phones appearing on Verizon seem very, very good IMO.