1.    #1  
    HI all,

Please keep in mind I didn't write this article. I just thought it was interesting.....Please use the provided link to see the rest of the article.

Take care,

Jay

Why Are Android Apps Ugly?

Jared Spurbeck Jared Spurbeck, Sun May 29, 12:46 pm ET

Print Story: Why Are Android Apps Ugly? - Yahoo! News
    It's true that not all Android apps are ugly. But if you spend awhile using an Android smartphone or tablet, then switch to an iPhone or iPad, you can see the difference: iOS apps don't just look shinier, they work better and are easier to use. Even when an app is available for both iPhone and Android, the iPhone one usually looks better.

Why does this happen, and should it be a concern if you're thinking of buying an Android smartphone?

Low barrier to entry

Writing apps for the iPhone or iPad costs $99 per year, if you want to put your apps on the App Store. You use a language called Objective-C, that's only used to write Mac and iOS apps, and every app you write will be screened by Apple before being placed in its store
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Not true for the major apps and even some popular small ones. It's true that many small part time developers don't often focus on looks but functionality. But the big guys know they have to look good too.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    It's true that many small part time developers don't often focus on looks but functionality.
    +1. I'm a developer and no designer. I've tried to make Dr.Battery looking good.
    I think I spend 3/4 of the time with css (OK I'm not good in this) and was lucky to find some battery images for free (I ask the designer) in the web.
    The function was done in 2-3 days. Actually the function was done before in a shellscript build in some hours.

EDIT: I still have no clue how Photoshop works. Allays I need hours to simply make a color transparent.
    What's funny is that because Android Market is more open to developers doing more things, you get "ugly" icons but way more function. I found a simple plain app that works really well if you're rooted, although I haven't gone that route yet. If Apple allowed Cydia apps and drop it's control over how you can develop(like the "no messing with system functions" crap), the same thing would start to happen. Some "ugly" apps but way more function. SBS Settings, not extremely good looking and that's why there are themes for it, but works really well to control the springboard without always going into settings.

However the Android reviewers do yell at small developers for having less than attractive interfaces sometimes though.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    It could be helped if Google made design improvements to their Android SDKs. With webOS, it is very easy to develop a good-looking app. Palm had some good designers talented in CSS to develop Mojo themes. You can put together a few widgets without having to think about design. You can use Ares to put together a nice app. Enyo makes it easier to design a nice app without being a designer.

Android could either improve the design aspects of its SDKs, or Google could become more of a curator and start restricting "ugly" apps.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    If Google restricts apps on looks, that's another nail in the "open" coffin. The reviewers know what looks good and what doesn't, let them pressure developers into making nicer looking apps. Root apps would barely get into the store if Google did that!

It is true and perception is major part of what a potential customer browses. Android apps do look hella ugly and just not stylish. Same apps on iOS, just a completely different feel.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    I keep hearing this but don't find it to be something that I notice in daily use.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    . With webOS, it is very easy to develop a good-looking app. Palm had some good designers talented in CSS to develop Mojo themes. You can put together a few widgets without having to think about design. You can use Ares to put together a nice app. Enyo makes it easier to design a nice app without being a designer.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Hi all,

Here's a place for webOS to shine! Let's hope that HP markets the hell out of webOS, the Pre3, the TouchPad & the veer.

I'm hoping they do well with the younger crowd...they seem to be planning on going after them...Frankly JayZ and Kanye, Lady GaGa, Russell Brand couldn't encourage me to buy anything, (except a fire hose and an extra large bar of soap for Russell, (to me he looks so slovenly & greasy). However Lea Michelle could make me want to buy anything!

I want to thank MC Gusto for the following posting:

HP’s New Campaign Starring Russell Brand? - AgencySpy

HP’s New Campaign Starring Russell Brand?
    By Kiran Aditham on May 27, 2011 12:09 PM

Here’s your hot rumor for the prelude to the long weekend. Looks like the “Hands” campaign is but a distant memory. WeThanks to the tiperati for this one:

“HP is shooting a new TV campaign today in LA with Russell Brand for their new Veer phone and Touchpad.Yesterday they had Russell on set all day really selling out and shooting product videos for their website. The campaign will also feature Lady Gaga (see the NYC subway stunt earlier this week), and will feature JayZ and Kanye in a series of commercial being shot in LA on the 7th. Those commercials will launch with the guys new album out on the 4th.

HP’s campaign kicks off this weekend with boxer Manny Pacquiao and Miranda Cosgrove. They also shot with Lea Michele earlier in the week. All ads will be live in rotation by mid-July.

Duties are being [handled] by Goodby, and McCann.

They have spent nearly $4M on production and close to $10M in these celebrity contracts. They were supposed to shoot a commercial with Gaga too (but she chose to be on set with Google instead). HP took a loss on that one.”
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    It is true and perception is major part of what a potential customer browses. Android apps do look hella ugly and just not stylish. Same apps on iOS, just a completely different feel.
    Name one big name app that's ugly. Which is what most people download. Not the geek and utility apps.

I actually don't remember them anymore. When I had the Evo for a trail run, one of the first things I noticed was the app icons on the home pages. They were very clunky looking which adds to the opinion that is being discussed in this article/thread.

Maybe they look different now but this article isn't lending to that opinion nor is this article very dated.

My bias could also be influenced by the OS itself. As far the UI and fluidness, iOS has always seemed more polished than Android. Obviously, that's just my opinion.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    I think Android has a very clean uncluttered look, depending on how you arrange the home screens. UI and fluidity also depends on the version, skin or ROM. I don't have a problem on 2.2 with the appearance. I do think Android looks better on at least 2.2 though. If you were still on 2.1, I can see why you thought Android was plain.

As for that other article, I don't use Linkd In but the dark background looks better to me. Meebo does seem to run badly on Android from reviews so I never installed it to even look.

iOS more polished? Well the icons do look good, but the icon arrangement results in cluttered screens unless you use folders. I'm looking forward to seeing iOS 5. iPad iOS does win hands down IMO as the best mobile interface, better by far over the phone version.

I think that the look of Android goes back to the fact that it comes from a bunch of nerds like Andy Rubin who were just racing to get every feature they could think of into Android.

The advantage of Android is a zillion options and features you customize just your way.

The downside of Android is a zillion options and features you customize just your way.

Apple is just the oposite. You will do it the way they say on Mt. Cupertino. There will be one size, one keyboard, etc. You will be told what you want.

With the old LCD's the backlights are on all the time and the LCD just filters out some of the light. So use any colors you want.

I hate the nerd white on black screens but as we go to Super AMOLED, black pixels draw almost no power. As much as I hate it, we will be seeing even more white on black boring nerdy screens. Anything else sucks battery.
    After we build (I build but we in my thread discovered together the secrets of the battery) Dr.Battery, some ppl started to build something similar on Android.
    I gave them all we had (Manual of chip, Driver sources of webos battery driver)
    and discussed with them how to get the driver into Android.
    Finally they have an app to calibrate and even hack the battery to get more out of it.

They focused on the function and tweaking functions.
    The result looks much different than dr.battery. But it has the same if not more functions.

It's always the question what you want to give your users.
    Clean interface with not so complicated (but less) functions (the apple way) or focused on a lot of functions with a lot of info and menus displayed (more the windows linux way).
    I think the goal would be to get a compromise between. Thats what I've tried with Dr.Battery.

EDIT: Both was done by hobbyists
    Last edited by somline; 05/31/2011 at 05:06 PM.
    Its because Apple has a large library of GUI and animations that iOS dev's i blieve HAVE to use from (i could be wrong there).

Android, i could make an app now that say hello world and publish it to the market in like 10 minutes.

I agree, iOS (and imo Windows Phone 7) have some snazzy looking apps, but not all are ugly:

Seesmic:
    Android:

iOS:

WP7:
    Seesmic looks the most creative on WP7, interesting. I think the Android version looks very nice with the simple red touch too. The iOS version looks too much like iOS itself, but certainly clean and readable.

Pretty much my thoughts on it. I've noticed a lot of more simple apps on iOS just go for the default iPhone theme....you see a bit more variety in android and you see aps that looks completely fresh on WP7.

Another example:
    Twitter Android:

Twitter iPhone: