Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

I just upgraded to the Sprint Nexus S after my Pre started breaking down. I like to give my first impressions of the phone and OS. Note: I LOVE WebOS. I think its the most intuitive and elegant OS out there. That being said I hope HP will step it up and deploy some better hardware to compliment WebOS. I'm also a fan of the QWERTY keyboard and I thought I wasn't going virtual. Well when I was in the Sprint store the first thing that struck me was the phone's thinness. However I was taken back by how plastic'y it felt/feels (I know, who is a Pre owner to talk). Anyway my Pros and Cons below, PLEASE do not take this as flaming. If you have any recommendations as to eliminate some cons, let me know.

Pros:
    Big Screen size
    Very Thin/Slim
    Light wieght
    No sharp corners (like the Evo).
    Clear Screen
    Fast, smooth and Responsive OS
    Like the notifications but I like WebOS a little bit better
    FEATURES and APPS!!! (were do I begin, Netflix viewing, voice dial-search, all bad ***)
    great navigation/maps (fast loading)
    Better copy/paste

Cons:
    Feels plastic'y glossy battery cover (rubberized battery cover needed)
    OS needs some improvement as far as intuitiveness (I maybe biased coming from WebOS)
    blinking LED for notifications/missed calls ??!!! I hope there's an app for that.
    Virtual keyboard (its hard to get use to coming from a QWERTY) miss qwerty
    Multitasking has nothing on webos.

That's all I have for now. But my overall opinion is that Im very impressed with the phone's features and OS smoothness/responsiveness. If you are suffering witha pre that is falling apart, please give this phone a try. Believe me, Im BIG webos fan. But this phone will give you another perspective on features hp needs.
    Last edited by utslickvic; 05/29/2011 at 08:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by utslickvic View Post
    Hi,

I just upgraded to the Sprint Nexus S after my Pre started breaking down. I like to give my first impressions of the hone and OS. Note: I LOVE WebOS. I think its the most intuitive and elegant OS out there. That being said I hope HP will step it up and deploy some better hardware to compliment WebOS. I'm also a fan of the QWERTY keyboard and I thought I wasn't going virtual. Well when I was in the Sprint store the first thing that struck me was the phone's thinness. However I was taken back by how plastic'y it felt/feels (I know, who is a Pre owner to talk). Anyway my Pros and Cons below, PLEASE do not take this as flaming. If you have any recommendations as to eliminate some cons, let me know.

Pros:
    Big Screen size
    Very Thin/Slim
    Light wieght
    No sharp corners (like the Evo).
    Clear Screen
    Fast, smooth and Responsive OS
    Like the notifications but I like WebOS a little bit better
    FEATURES and APPS!!! (were do I begin, Netflix viewing, voice dial-search, all bad ***) great navigation/maps (fast loading)
    Better copy/paste

Cons:
    Feels plastic'y glossy battery cover (rubberized battery cover needed)
    OS needs some improvement as far as intuitiveness (I maybe biased coming from WebOS) Kin
    blinking LED for notifications/missed calls ??!!! I hope there's an app for that.
    Virtual keyboard (its hard to get use to coming from a QWERTY)
    Multitasking has nothing on webos.

That's all I have for now. But my overall opinion is that Im very impressed with the phone's features and OS smoothness/responsiveness. If you are suffering witha pre that is falling apart, please give this phone a try. Believe me, Im BIG webos fan. But this phone will give you another perspective on features hp needs.
    Thanks for the post, but, not sure if one can fairly compare a 2009 model to a 2011. I do understand you had no other choice, unless you got insurance....like me..lol.

I do hope the Pre 3 is in the same league or better with hardware and optimization of its OS, which will make us all happier and maybe you might give webOS another go.

Enjoy Android while my fingers are crossed hoping Sprint gets the Pre 3 at launch.
    Last edited by RoverNole; 05/29/2011 at 08:52 PM.
    I fell your pain. I'm in the same boat. Still on launch day Pre- and it's taken a toll. Wife is going on her third one. We're thinking of getting the Evo with extended batteries. I think HP is trying to make things right for us Sprint WebOS users but to me Sprint has made their choice to be an Andriod camp and they are playing hard ball with HP due to how the OG Pre had its issues. Well hope you like the Nexus...ohh by the way ...hope you're not getting it for the 4G. There have been some issues reported with that phone.
  4.    #4  
    Yeah believe me, I was holding on for dear life with myth beloved pre. Not getting phone service and slider binding up was scaring me.

My dream was to get pre3. I was not my comparing the two phones. Im basically saying, if you are in the same position I was in... Dont be closed minded and gives this phone a try. Again coming from a big palm fan, im overall impressed.
  5.    #5  
    I will say... The auto correct and virtual keyboard is annoying. As far as 4g... I prefer not to have it but had to get it. $10 extra almost made me back out.
    Yeah believe me, I was holding on for dear life with myth beloved pre. Not getting phone service and slider binding up was scaring me.

My dream was to get pre3. I was not my comparing the two phones. Im basically saying, if you are in the same position I was in... Dont be closed minded and gives this phone a try. Again coming from a big palm fan, im overall impressed.
    Understood. Again, thank goodness I have the insurance, which has allowed me to last this long, unlike many here including yourself or I probably would have had to make a change.
    I will say... The auto correct and virtual keyboard is annoying. As far as 4g... I prefer not to have it but had to get it. $10 extra almost made me back out.
    9/10 times if you let autocorrect do its thing, it can actually be a lot easier and faster to use than any physical keyboard. Just need to give it time and learn how it operates.

Also, the $10 applies on any new smartphone, not just 4G devices.
    How's the multitasking with the Nexus S and the Gingerbread OS version? Is it true multitasking as with WebOS, or are apps suspended when in the background? That's one topic that isn't too clear to me...

I've used a Palm Pixi for over a year with Sprint then switched to a Verizon iPhone 4 (a company phone) and I may be in a position that will require me to turn in my iPhone for something else. I'm leaning towards getting the Nexus S on Sprint, since I prefer a phone with a virtual keyboard and want to explore the Android OS. Thus, I'm curious to how well the multitasking work on the Nexus S as it doesn't work all that well for the iPhone (in my opinion).
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist
    Quote Originally Posted by cohoman View Post
    How's the multitasking with the Nexus S and the Gingerbread OS version? Is it true multitasking as with WebOS, or are apps suspended when in the background? That's one topic that isn't too clear to me...

I've used a Palm Pixi for over a year with Sprint then switched to a Verizon iPhone 4 (a company phone) and I may be in a position that will require me to turn in my iPhone for something else. I'm leaning towards getting the Nexus S on Sprint, since I prefer a phone with a virtual keyboard and want to explore the Android OS. Thus, I'm curious to how well the multitasking work on the Nexus S as it doesn't work all that well for the iPhone (in my opinion).
    Multitasking on Android is controlled by the developer, not the OS (in the most general sense). That's how it operates on both webOS and iOS as well. If an application is intended to background work when you close it, then it has those capabilities.
    Sprint is now just advertising their plan at $79 and not splitting out the extra $10. They have effectively raised their price by $10 for every smartphone. Boom.
    I just switched my minus for a Nexus S 4g.

Pros:
    - Big nice looking screen
    - Battery life seems sufficient
    - Some really nice apps

Cons:
    - Missing IM/SMS message threading (drives me nuts)
    - On screen keyboard is rough to get used to (3 weeks in and i'm no better)
    - No flashing led notification for messages
    - Autocorrect is maddeningly infuriating (webos 2.0 version is spectacular btw)
    - Multitasking is hardly present at all. Certainly not in the context i was expecting
    - Back button and app launching is weirdly inconsistent (example, launching the messaging app will sometimes launch you to your previous conversation, but other times will launch you to your conversation list. When launched into a previoius conversation, the back button will send you to the home screen rather than conversation list...)
    - Serious GPS issues (could not get lock via actual gps on a road trip, luckily had backup).
    - The google search bar is inferior to the Just Type mechanism.
    - touchscreen is too sensitive. i'm continuously **** dialling and launching apps i didnt mean to.

I'm probably sending it back. Its just not worth the crappy UI for a few nice apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    9/10 times if you let autocorrect do its thing, it can actually be a lot easier and faster to use than any physical keyboard. Just need to give it time and learn how it operates.
    But that 1/10 times is just so frustrating.
  13.    #13  
    Yeah multitasking on android is well... Not easily seen, noticed, or implemented.

I found out how to keep track of all my open internet windows. Other than that not sure how other apps run in the background. Its really funny and a shame to know thathp is sitting on a winning Lotto ticket with webos multitaking.

Have not had issues with gps. Like I said above the maps and navigation blows the doors off the pre.

@cohoman
    Give a try, but just dont expect webos intuitiveness by a long shot. Not sure if its any better than ios.

Right now Im so happy with the big screen and netflix viewing! Well... I guess its a OK phone too.
    Try SwiftKey, trust me.

No SMS threading? I had an Android phone with that, but I haven't used the new one enough to find out if it's on this one. However, I do believe Chomp SMS and Handcent solve that problem.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 05/30/2011 at 02:32 PM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  15.    #15  
    There is sms threading. I think there above poster was saying some of threads are missing.... Havnt had any issues with that. Only thing is with sending out a new mass sms there threads not joining existing ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by poppeye View Post
    But that 1/10 times is just so frustrating.
    I make a lot more mistakes with a physical keyboard without autocorrect (because one still hits the wrong keys) than I do with a virtual keyboard. Also, a vkb requires less effort so I find I can hit the keys a lot faster than I can with a physical kb.
    swiftkey is > default kb I agree, but still inferior to physical (simply because of the haptic feedback). Not to mention the effective area of the screen is reduced to smaller than the pres with the kb up.

what I meant by threading is that coversations arent tracked by contacts. For exammple, my wife asks me to go to the store on sms, but sends me a list on gtalk. In android I have to remember which app it was where webos has it all wrapped up with synergy.
    You can turn off or reduce Swiftkey haptic, go under its settings. I agree, the default buzzing is too strong.

On my Intercept, any contact was tracked per contact. To me that was a bit alarming though, lol. So I was deleting contact history a lot. I'm not sure people realize each and every SMS, call or email sent is being stored on some phones under their contact info.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    You can turn off or reduce Swiftkey haptic, go under its settings. I agree, the default buzzing is too strong.

On my Intercept, any contact was tracked per contact. To me that was a bit alarming though, lol. So I was deleting contact history a lot. I'm not sure people realize each and every SMS, call or email sent is being stored on some phones under their contact info.
    just to be clear: physical keyboard i can feel the buttons. i can't on virtual.

messaging per contact... i mean, there is one single app that handles SMS, gtalk, AIM... etc, and it knows my wife is the same person regardless of which service it sends me a message with. all ends up in the same place.
    ...Cons:
    OS needs some improvement as far as intuitiveness (I maybe biased coming from WebOS)
    --Some of that may be that they are laid out differently. Check out the Palm User's Guide to Android

From the Getting Started with Android section on Notifications:
    If your phone does not have a notification LED, check out NoLED or BLN Control.

Virtual keyboard (its hard to get use to coming from a QWERTY) miss qwerty
    Try the SwiftKey keyboard. It predicts your next word before you even start to type it. It learns how you think making better suggestions all the time, sometimes better than the word than you were thinking.
    Multitasking has nothing on webos...
    Try Perfect Task Switcher for Recent App cards like Ice Cream Sandwich will have. Click X to close an app. Other free cards apps include Visual Task Switcher, Wave Launcher, or Itching Thumb.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast