1.    #1  
    http://m.engadget.com/default/articl...sic&postPage=1

So much for open (again).

Someone should reach out to yongzh and ZodTTD and tell them they still have an opportunity to make money selling emulators if they port to webOS.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    So you are telling me that Sega is not going to complain to HP about these emulators???
    This one is not so straightforward, I think. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $making$ $an$ $emulator$ $is$ $not$ $illegal$. $It$'$s$ $the$ $ROMs$ $that$ $you$ $run$ $on$ $them$ $that$ $usually$ $are$. $If$ $you$ $don$'$t$ $own$ $the$ $original$ $game$ $cartridge$, $then$ $downloading$ $and$ $running$ $the$ $ROM$ $is$ $illegal$. $Since$ $Sega$ $or$ $whoever$ $doesn$'$t$ $have$ $any$ $way$ $of$ $knowing$ $who$ $actually$ $owns$ $what$ $games$, $then$ $it$ $is$ $assumed$ $any$ $downloaded$ $ROMs$ $are$ $illegal$.

Still, this is kind of like blocking Torrent on the assumption that everything downloaded from Torrent is illegal. Most of it, of course, is. But blocking the entire service to stop the outlaw users also punishes those that use it legally.

And in the case of the emulator, blocking the app itself not only punishes people that use it legally, but also has punished the developers in a big way, since they can no longer sell their app.

Unless making the emulator itself is somehow illegal, there's definitely grounds for a lawsuit here.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  4.    #4  
    It will be up to Sega/Nintendo/Sony to convince the courts that the emulator itself, without ROMs, is illegal. From my point of view, why block it? It's not like they're making revenue from these old games anymore anyway. These are the games you have to go to flea markets or local game shops to buy. They're not even from the previous generation of consoles (the GC, xbox, and PS2).

Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    So you are telling me that Sega is not going to complain to HP about these emulators???
    They'll complain alright. The question is whether HP will comply. There are already some emulators in the app catalog anyway (which is why those devs should look at porting their emulator apps), and HP doesn't (yet) have a history of pulling apps from the catalog.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Big companies like HP will comply more willingly than small companies like Palm --- because they actually have in-house counsel to set up these things.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    they are available for free on the 3rd party app store slideme....

NOT "HP webOS"!!!