1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I never gave the following issue much thought until a friend who was looking into buying an Android smartphone mentioned it.

With so many models, from so many firms coming out so close together aren't they making it overwhelming trying to select a smartphone....perhaps too many choices is as bad as not enough.

Please sue the link to find the balance of the article.

Tale care,

Jay

10 Androids That Outmuscle the iPhone
    By Scott Moritz, The Street.com

10 Androids That Outmuscle the iPhone - Yahoo! Shopping

Apple's iPhone had a good run atop the smartphone league, but 10 Google Androids aim to bury the tuckered-out leader this year.
    Motorola Mobility, Samsung, HTC and LG have promised to deliver supercharged, ultra-thin, 4G Android devices in the coming weeks and months.

But not always. Before the mobile phone industry got all busy with design makeovers and tummy tucks, there were -- and still are -- some delightfully hideous phones that represented the other side of the beauty trend. The Street has gone back through the past decade to dig up some of the best examples of designs that make you wince and stare in disbelief. The clueless stylings, the flights of fancy into odd shapes, the obsession with square versus rounded -- it is a wonderfully colorful history.

The giant Android attack features bigger screens, better cameras, faster processors and speedier 4G connections than the upcoming iPhone.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    There are at least 30 main carriers in the world including each US carrier wanting their own version of every phone plus at least one GSM version for the ROW.
    1. Verizon
    2. AT&T
    3. Sprint
    4. T-Mobile
    5. US Cellular
    6. Rest of World (ROW)

With 5 main screen sizes:
    S <3"
    M 3.5"
    L 4"
    XL 4.3"
    XXL 4.5+

So each manufacturer needs at least 5 sizes a year for 6 carriers for each OS they support. For Android, each would need at least 30 new Android models each year.

For just the top 4 Android major brands of Samsung, HTC, Motorola, and LG, there would have to be at least 120 new Androids a year. But there is also Sony and a dozen other brands and many other carriers. So there needs to be at least 300 new Android phones a year.

Think of phones like shoes. Say you were looking at athletic shoes. You might want running, cross trainers, walking, or a specific sport. (Carrier)

You go to that style and find your size and then try on the brands you like. So a store has at least 50 different shoes in 12 sizes each times how many colors?

Out of hundreds of pairs, there might be only 2 that will you will consider.

Just like with shoes, you are really only looking at a couple phones that are right for you.

Unless you are going to climb Mt. Cupertino. Then you can only wear size 8...no matter what size foot you have.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 05/29/2011 at 09:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    There are at least 30 main carriers in the world including each US carrier wanting their own version of every phone plus at least one GSM version for the ROW.
    1. Verizon
    2. AT&T
    3. Sprint
    4. T-Mobile
    5. US Cellular
    6. Rest of World (ROW)

S <3"
    M 3.5"
    L 4"
    XL 4.3"
    XXL 4.5+

So each manufacturer needs at least 5 sizes a year for 6 carriers for each OS they support. For Android, each would need at least 30 new Android models each year.

For just the top 4 Android major brands of Samsung, HTC, Motorola, and LG, there would have to be at least 120 new Androids a year. But there is also Sony and a dozen other brands and many other carriers. So there needs to be at least 300 new Android phones a year.

Think of phones like shoes. Say you were looking at athletic shoes. You might want running, cross trainers, walking, or a specific sport. (Carrier)

You go to that style and find your size and then try on the brands you like. So a store has at least 50 different shoes in 12 sizes each times how many colors?

Just like with shoes, you are really only looking at a couple phones that are right for you.

Unless you are going to climb Mt. Cupertino. Then you can only wear size 8...no matter what size foot you have.
    Nice write up. If I may add the BIG difference I see is in a shoe store generally the staff is not trained to stir you towards a paticular brand/model like nike, reebok, adidias, etc, unlike most of these irritating sales reps at carrier stores, bb, the shack, etc. But, I get your point.
    to me this means nothing, and what this does for android is add more oversaturation, more clutter among the market, and more confusion to consumers. Google is already loosing customers to WP7 (they already have 3.5m users, and new phones like the Trophy out sold all the new devices launched last week on verizon. It is currently sold out in most places). They have also attracted alot of main developers to date they have 20k apps and have reached this milestone 200 days faster then android has, and 2 days after Apple did. Iphone still dominates the market being still only on 2 carriers and still grosses billions of more dollars then Google (as does HP, so even the bottom line for google still dosent show their dominance with only the market share with dozens of manufactuers, and on plenty carriers to brag about). If HP establishes 3 to 4 handsets, with full support, with high end specs, and with all the core applications they will too take away from Googles market, because consumers want a device to represent a company and OS, and Google dosent have that they offer too many options with each day a new flagship device. IMO Google will continue to dimenish and fade a bit, making what anaylist thinking of WM, IOS, and Webos(I think) taking back over leadership of the market.
    Henry Ford did not invent the car. There were dozens of earlier brands. You could have any Ford model you wanted as long as it was a Model T. Today, how many models do Toyota, Ford, Hyundai, and Chevy need to cover their markets?

Apple did not invent the PC. There were dozens of earlier brands. But Apple quickly dominated the market. Apple too had one primary model. Then along came Microsoft licensing their OS to the whole world. Apple went from dominant to a 6% niche player.

In the early stages of a market there is often one dominant product. The Treo was eclipsed by the BlackBerry which was eclipsed by the iPhone. They were each basically the same model updated.

Then along came Google licensing their OS to the whole world.

There are hundreds of car, PC, and phone models. How many do you really consider? A couple.

But it takes hundreds of models to have the couple that any one person will consider.
    Good artcle, Jay.. thanks, as always!

This comes off of the heels of a phone call I just had with a relative who's wife is a a senior executive in her rather large company, and she is up for smartphone replacement. Her choices are several Adroid phones (Droid X is one), Blackberry or Windows Mobile 7.

She is a heavy text/email user, so a keyboard is a must - she's likely going for the Droid X, after doing all of her research - she'd MUCH rather have a portrait keyboard, but, the Blackberry OS and associated devices really leave much to be desired, in her opinion.

The Droid X's landscape keyboard is, for her, a compromise - she, like most business users really wanted a vertical keyboard.

Note, Apple wasn't even on the list.

A side note: Obviously, I couldn't say anything to her about the Pre 3 coming out "this summer", which would have fit her needs to a "T", and being made by HP, would likely become a sanctioned device, but, noooooOOOOOOoooooo.... its just vaporware at this point until, well, it isn't .
    Last edited by LCGuy; 05/29/2011 at 11:30 AM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    1. Verizon
    2. AT&T
    3. Sprint
    4. T-Mobile
    5. US Cellular
    6. Rest of World (ROW)

S <3"
    M 3.5"
    L 4"
    XL 4.3"
    XXL 4.5+

Hi,

that's all fine however, when people who have never used a smartphone go into a store and see so many different phones running different versions of the same platform, many of which have the platform customized to only them they are overwhelmed and don't know what to choose.

Just for example friends, a couple, who have never used smartphones before...each got android phones after about a week they returned them, got cheap regular phones and are waiting to try webOS phones, (Pre3). This because they found that Android was so confusing to pick from because there are too many choices that they were overwhelmed.

In addition using their words..."Android isn't intuitive and they felt there wasn't enough of the phone that they could pick up and use, while having had no experience with a smartphone before". I hadn't gotten a chance to even see their phone before they returned it. So I couldn't try them.

Now I do know that many people who try webOS for the first time have told me, it's so easy you don't need directions.....Android has become so fractured that it's hard to move from brand to brand without having problems due to over customization and frankly way too many models.

Plus as was stated by Rovernole, who BTW hit the nail on the head, the sales staff at the phone stores do push newbies toward their likes and dislikes.

I stand by what I said when I started this thread, sometimes too many choices is as bad as too many.

I find your shoe analogy a bit lacking b/c shoes come in so many sizes in part not just b/c of style or color but because of fit & comfort. However, smartphones either fit your hand or don't!

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Jay,

I think we are saying the same thing. One brand of shoe, say webOS, may feel perfect to me and you. But I may be an XL and you may be a Medium.

So each brand needs to offer each size (S, M, L, XL, and XXL). And in the US, each store will want their own model name. So your Galaxy S model may be called the Fascinate, Epic, Captivate, etc.

So that is 25 different new models a year just to cover the 5 main carriers in the US. Times 5 main brands. Plus the rest of the world. Plus the other brands. For each OS.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 05/29/2011 at 03:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    to me this means nothing, and what this does for android is add more oversaturation, more clutter among the market, and more confusion to consumers. Google is already loosing customers to WP7 (they already have 3.5m users, and new phones like the Trophy out sold all the new devices launched last week on verizon. It is currently sold out in most places). They have also attracted alot of main developers to date they have 20k apps and have reached this milestone 200 days faster then android has, and 2 days after Apple did. Iphone still dominates the market being still only on 2 carriers and still grosses billions of more dollars then Google (as does HP, so even the bottom line for google still dosent show their dominance with only the market share with dozens of manufactuers, and on plenty carriers to brag about). If HP establishes 3 to 4 handsets, with full support, with high end specs, and with all the core applications they will too take away from Googles market, because consumers want a device to represent a company and OS, and Google dosent have that they offer too many options with each day a new flagship device. IMO Google will continue to dimenish and fade a bit, making what anaylist thinking of WM, IOS, and Webos(I think) taking back over leadership of the market.
    Assuming people stay on one carrier for much of the time, they only need to choose an Android from their carrier line-up, in the US and Canada at least. That equals less confusion because most carriers only have about 4 Androids, low to high end. Except maybe on Verizon, they seem to have a lot. In Europe and much of Asia, confusion could happen when buying unlocked, but then you need to know what specs you want. Japan has gotten into the Android game, but also through carriers.

And iPhone is now sold on international carriers. They may dominate the US market but what about overseas? Or even Canada? Do they really dominate at the same percentage?

MSFT has attracted lots of developers faster because it's MSFT. They likely won't be going under any time soon and I believe I read they paid some developers to make apps. At the time Android was new, people were wary, and Android only picked up full force when major carriers with good hardware picked up on it. The G1 was experimental IMO. The Droid was a final product.

Unless Google does something really stupid, I don't see them going anywhere. So far in the US, seems only Android is on 4G phones. Where's the WP7 4G phones? Not that I want to see WP7 fail, far from it. I'm just saying it's time for others to play catch up concerning 4G in the US. If you want 4G, so far I've seen you need to buy Android.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!