Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI. Please see the link for the balance of this article...

Take care,

Jay

Teen Sued By Apple For Selling White iPhone Kits Dishes On Details

The Huffington Post Amy Lee First Posted: 05/28/11 10:04 AM ET Updated: 05/28/11 10:04 AM ET

Teen Sued By Apple For Selling White iPhone Kits Dishes On Details

Fei Lam, the Queens teen who, for a short while, was making up to $8,000 a day selling kits to make white iPhones, was shut down after Apple found out.

Apple apparently filed--and dropped--a lawsuit against the teen. Fast Company interviewed Lam to find out what he's up to these days, while not battling the Apple legal machine. Apparently, Lam did not find out about the lawsuit straight from Apple.

"I came back from school today and saw your email. Lol," Lam told FC, as to how he first learned about the suit. He went on to say that he will be meeting with Apple's lawyer in New York, but that he won't be accompanied by a lawyer because he "can't afford it anymore."
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    First, they fight over the term "app store", then they sue a kid.

Real mature, Apple...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    First, they fight over the term "app store", then they sue a kid.

Real mature, Apple...

Hi all,

For years Apple rail at the fact that MS was the 800 lbs. Gorilla, now Apple is worse.....

Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I was just about to launch a site selling kits to make purple paisley iphones. Maybe i should hold back on that idea.
    You mean Apple is supposed to let people illegally obtain genuine Apple parts from the factory that manufactures them and sell them at a profit?

I just don't see the problem here. They filed a lawsuit to get the kid to stop bootlegging parts then subsequently dropped it once he did.
    Don't you know, once Google or HP do something (lock down features, charge $100 for 16GB of data, control content on their version of an App Store, sue someone from Bootlegging, have security flaws, etc etc) its okay and explainable.

but when its Apple, whoa boy! Evil empire and all that.

Just shows to me, when the other big boys change their business model, is that Apple did it right the first time.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Don't you know, once Google or HP do something (lock down features, charge $100 for 16GB of data, control content on their version of an App Store, sue someone from Bootlegging, have security flaws, etc etc) its okay and explainable.

but when its Apple, whoa boy! Evil empire and all that.

Just shows to me, when the other big boys change their business model, is that Apple did it right the first time.
    Google gets hammered for doing the same things. HP has yet to sue a hacker or home brewer that I know of. Please post a link if HP can really be lumped in the same category as Google/Apple/Microsoft...

...and thanks for defending Apple. They need it.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Sounds to me like the kid decided to join the big-leagues in business by obtaining unauthorized parts from a factory and selling mod kits online. The guy was making up to $8,000 per day so it wasn't like he had a newspaper route or a lemonade stand.
    In this case "making" is revenue... no indication if there was any profit... apparently not enough to pay for a lawyer.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    You mean Apple is supposed to let people illegally obtain genuine Apple parts from the factory that manufactures them and sell them at a profit?

I just don't see the problem here. They filed a lawsuit to get the kid to stop bootlegging parts then subsequently dropped it once he did.
    I don't see anything indicating the parts were "bootleg" or illegal in any way.

External parts are used as molds so 3rd party companies can create cases and accessories. Nothing in that article that I saw declared what he did to be illegal or that the parts were obtained in an unethical manner.

What did I miss?
    @Cantaffordit...... why do you have to go out of your way to make sense around here?
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2¢ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Well the kid didn't get the parts until after meeting with a guy who worked at Foxconn, the OEM for Apple, so... 1 + 1 = 4?
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I don't see anything indicating the parts were "bootleg" or illegal in any way.

External parts are used as molds so 3rd party companies can create cases and accessories. Nothing in that article that I saw declared what he did to be illegal or that the parts were obtained in an unethical manner.

What did I miss?
    From the actual filing:

Defendent Lam willfully and without authorization has used Apple’s trademarks in connection with the sale of his “White iPhone 4 Conversion Kits,” which among other things included white front and back panels with Apple’s logo and “iPhone” trademarks that are used in connection with the promotion and sale of Apple’s well known iPhone 4 handheld mobile digital electronic devices. Defendant at all times knew that Apple never has authorized the sale of white panels for its iPhone 4 mobile devices, and that he obtained these panels from sources that were not authorized by Apple or any of its suppliers to sell them.
    Wow, wasn't even smart enough to get the parts before they painted Apple's trademarks on them? Kid was begging to be sued.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    But he's just a kid. Surely there are better ways to discipline him than running his future before he even graduates high school.

Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    From the actual filing:
    So all he needed to do was cover the logo. Apple can "not authorize" but it doesn't seem any law was broken in how he obtained the parts... So he just needs to avoid using their logo...
    Google gets hammered for doing the same things. HP has yet to sue a hacker or home brewer that I know of. Please post a link if HP can really be lumped in the same category as Google/Apple/Microsoft...

...and thanks for defending Apple. They need it.
    Mark my words: if webOS takes off in the sense that Android and iOS has, HP will bring the hammer down on Preware once it becomes detrimental to the platform.

Did you know that if an application isn't a PDK or hybrid, its source is freely available to anyone and everyone on the device, and there's no way to obscure it?
    Your words have been marked. I hope webOS is successful enough that we will have the opportunity to come to that bridge and cross it. Until then, it's not fair to lump HP in with the draconian tactics of Apple/Google/Microsoft...
    I haven't kept up.
    But now webOS is not doomed, but rather may become as successful as Android and iOS, but if they do, preware is doomed?
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Totally off topic, Jay, but have you heard of the guaifenesin protocol? It's a [not entirely] simple (and FDA unapproved) approach to stopping and rapidly reversing the effects of FMS. In the research I've done (on behalf of a foreign coworker, unable to efficiently do the research, herself), I've found this one doctor's technique has helped a lot of people suffering from FMS. Send me a private message if you're interested...

[[EDIT]] I didn't want to post a link to the information here, for fear of the mods deleting it...I'm not sure if they'll consider it against forum guidelines or not]]
    So all he needed to do was cover the logo. Apple can "not authorize" but it doesn't seem any law was broken in how he obtained the parts... So he just needs to avoid using their logo...
    The original article indicated that the parts were obtained from someone who used to work at the Foxconn factory, so it is likely that this kid isn't the only one that Apple is going after for selling iPhone parts.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast