Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Mark my words: if webOS takes off in the sense that Android and iOS has, HP will bring the hammer down on Preware once it becomes detrimental to the platform.
    And which exact law will they use to do that? Preware is carefully crafted to not break any law, terms of service, or end user license agreement. Your "marked" words are simply FUD.

Did you know that if an application isn't a PDK or hybrid, its source is freely available to anyone and everyone on the device, and there's no way to obscure it?
    Yes, isn't it shocking that you can use HP's own freely-available and publicly documented official webOS SDK tools to see that application source code ...

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    And which exact law will they use to do that? Preware is carefully crafted to not break any law, terms of service, or end user license agreement. Your "marked" words are simply FUD.
    I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss that as FUD. HP/Palm/WebOS is rather unique in its acceptance of homebrew, and I would not wager that that is something that would survive should WebOS become a real money-maker for HP. All it would take is for one person to ruin the scene by trying to make something that would allow people to install pirated apps, and the entire homebrew party could be shut down. If WebOS ever does become very popular, I would go so far to say that this would be an inevitable turn of events.

Even if it doesn't become very popular, I would say that HP is a very different company than Palm was, and would not be surprised if HP decides it wants to protect its assets more stringently.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss that as FUD. HP/Palm/WebOS is rather unique in its acceptance of homebrew, and I would not wager that that is something that would survive should WebOS become a real money-maker for HP. All it would take is for one person to ruin the scene by trying to make something that would allow people to install pirated apps, and the entire homebrew party could be shut down. If WebOS ever does become very popular, I would go so far to say that this would be an inevitable turn of events.

Even if it doesn't become very popular, I would say that HP is a very different company than Palm was, and would not be surprised if HP decides it wants to protect its assets more stringently.
    I ask again, what law or license condition does Preware violate? It is installed using the official HP SDK tools, which are public and documented, so is not exploiting a vulnerability which can be "fixed" by HP. It contains no proprietary IP, and violates no NDAs or EULAs.

Do not assume that Preware is subject to the same tenacious existence to which other jail-breaking tools that exploit security vulnerabilities are subject.

Individual rogue homebrew apps may become the target of HP's legal team, but Preware itself will not, since it has been designed from the ground up to be legal.

FYI, just like the official HP SDK tools allow viewing of application source code, they also allow the installation of pirated apps ... it is the person distributing pirated apps which is at risk of legal action, not a legitimate homebrew installer.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I am amazed that someone is arguing with Rod about how licensing and homebrew work. Does he know he is talking to the master?
    i think its pretty corny to sue children... especially when you're the biggest, most well recognized companies in the world. there are other things they can do to make a point short of ruining his life forever
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    -- Rod
    Perfect!
    That's two FUD stomps by you in the last week.
    Thank You!
    How does Preware handle DMCA safe harbor provisions?
    I think what they mean with preware is if webos was to gain popularity like Android or iOS, carriers could try to put pressure on HP to lock down their phones so it wont allow the user to install preware. I say that because using preware you can make changes to the OS that the carrier may not approve of.

Just a thought.

Sent from my EVO Shift 4G powered by CM7
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    I think what they mean with preware is if webos was to gain popularity like Android or iOS, carriers could try to put pressure on HP to lock down their phones so it wont allow the user to install preware. I say that because using preware you can make changes to the OS that the carrier may not approve of.

Just a thought.

I doubt HP would let that fly since HP has fully supported webOS internalz and by proxy preware. Have we all forgotten that HP sent a Webserver to them free of charge?

I'd love to be a fly on the wall for that.

Dear webOS internalz

Although we sent you a web server we are now going to waste the money for shipping, and the cost of product to tell you to shut down

Love HP..

yeah i serious doubt that and for barkerja follow one simple rule that people should learn. Don't Assume.
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    I doubt HP would let that fly since HP has fully supported webOS internalz and by proxy preware. Have we all forgotten that HP sent a Webserver to them free of charge?
    A 10k server is a drop in the bucket to HP. If it came down to appeasing carriers, versus losing that "investment?" no contest.

I have no thoughts on this personally, but I do know that prior support of something is absolutely no guarantee of future support when $$ are on the line.
    Two Irishman walk out of a bar.

Hey! it could happen.
    Well, nothing is "impossible"... but is veeeeeeeeeeery difficult just go back without a really good reason...

And; serious, someone believe that the carriers lose time fighting against some hacker groups? C'mon... if was true, iOS would be really locked and HTC didn't release this information...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    I personally don't mind apple locking things down.
    People can Jailbreak and apple doesn't have to cover issues people bring upon themselves for loading up things that aren't approved by apple.

Apple says:
    'You want to hack your iphone? fine, we're not going to cover it if you start having issues'

I know this was brought up in reaction to the Original Topic, but we can't really say if HP would have such an aggressive approach as apple has here.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    How does Preware handle DMCA safe harbor provisions?
    For apps in the webos-internals feeds, we would handle them directly. All those apps are open source licensed, so issues are unlikely.

For apps in the precentral or prethemer feeds, we send people to PreCentral.net or PreThemer.com, as we are not the source location for those feeds.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post

Just a thought.

Preware uses the official SDK tools for installation. To lock out Preware, HP would have to lock out developer mode completely (which is of course possible, but would have major ramifications for all developers).

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    A 10k server is a drop in the bucket to HP. If it came down to appeasing carriers, versus losing that "investment?" no contest.

I have no thoughts on this personally, but I do know that prior support of something is absolutely no guarantee of future support when $$ are on the line.
    Fully agree. Preware is designed to not have to depend on the good graces of HP.

-- Rod
    Any more news on how many miles behind a truck apple plans on dragging this teen?
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Any more news on how many miles behind a truck apple plans on dragging this teen?
    From the OP:

Apple apparently filed--and dropped--a lawsuit against the teen.
    Thanks,
    I missed that.
    I'm reading of my tiny treo pro screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post

It already exists.. Its called woqi preware and HP webOS SDK

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast