Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

    I wonder how this compares to webOS apps? Please use the provided link to read the balance of this article.

    Take care,

    Jay

    Why it's harder to make money on Android than on Apple's iOS
    By Philip Elmer-DeWitt May 27, 2011: 6:57 AM ET

    Why it's harder to make money on Android than on Apple's iOS - Apple 2.0 - Fortune Tech

    Out of 72,000 paid apps in Google's Android Market, only two have sold more than 500,000 copies

    80% of Android paid apps have sold fewer than 100 copies.

    The Utrecht-based analytics company Distimo generated some catchy headlines last month with a report suggesting that Google's (GOOG) Android Market was rapidly catching up to Apple's (AAPL) App Store and might surpass it by July.

    What that report didn't mention, as Roughly Drafted's Daniel Eran Dilger pointed out in a pungent analysis entitled "Distimo polishes the Android turd," is that the App Store is generating billions for developers, while hardly anybody is getting rich in the Android Market.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  2. #2  
    A lot of apps are more expensive on webOS than android. For example angry bird is 1.99 or so, while .99 con iOS and free on android. So I guess, if a webOS app ever take up, people may make more money than iOS but then not many people are currently using webOS due to lack of hardware or just waiting for some flagship device to hit the market. Will change with TP, though soon, especially if H/P brings along few key apps like netflix, kindle(I know its coming) etc.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  3. #3  
    LOL, I have an app that is for A ) U.F.O. Beer Knurd members ONLY and B ) webOS users and as small as that market is, I have sold more than 80% of Androids paid apps sell??? I guess I'm doing OK then....

    Small target audience app on webOS > paid app on android.

    WOW, that says a lot. Just not sure what it says.

    BTW, my Beer Knurd app has sold about 150 copies, so 1.5 x the number of 80% of androids paid apps.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    A lot of apps are more expensive on webOS than android. For example angry bird is 1.99 or so, while .99 con iOS and free on android. So I guess, if a webOS app ever take up, people may make more money than iOS but then not many people are currently using webOS due to lack of hardware or just waiting for some flagship device to hit the market. Will change with TP, though soon, especially if H/P brings along few key apps like netflix, kindle(I know its coming) etc.
    Rovio most likely charges $1 more than iOS due to the smaller user base. It's a way to make a little more money on a smaller market.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Rovio most likely charges $1 more than iOS due to the smaller user base. It's a way to make a little more money on a smaller market.
    Hi all,

    I have no prob with them charging a little more so that the app level can climb. The media is fixated on app counts...people see number of apps available and that may help them decide with platform to use. Sadly so many apps are wanting that they shouldn't be counted at all.

    After all how many apps do we need that make a bodily noise sound and are mostly likely used by 12 year old boys?

    Since a number of polls show that most people load their smartphone up with apps and then use just 2 or three. I think app levels are just as deceptive as mega pixel counts...

    Take care,

    Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

    I have no prob with them charging a little more so that the app level can climb. The media is fixated on app counts...people see number of apps available and that may help them decide with platform to use. Sadly so many apps are wanting that they shouldn't be counted at all.

    After all how many apps do we need that make a bodily noise sound and are mostly likely used by 12 year old boys?

    Since a number of polls show that most people load their smartphone up with apps and then use just 2 or three. I think app levels are just as deceptive as mega pixel counts...

    Take care,

    Jay
    Considering our needs are different, I welcome a higher app count that appeases our differences. The chance of there being something we both find and like in iOS' app store is much greater than say on webOS.
  7. #7  
    android developers don't make much in sales, but I'm sure they make plenty in ad revenue... this article doesn't mention that at all.
  8. #8  
    There are many free alternatives, so the paid app has to be better to justify money. Many are not. But some are.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!

Posting Permissions