Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 63
  1.    #1  
    AppleInsider | Apple rumored to add widgets, revamped notifications to iOS 5

    Apple will unveil a new version of its mobile operating system, iOS 5, at this year's Worldwide Developers Conference, featuring widgets and a revamped notification system, a new report claims.

    The news was part of a brief inclusion in a story at TechCrunch about the upcoming Worldwide Developers Conference. Author MG Siegler characterized the "big news" for iOS as "completely revamped notifications and widgets."

    Signs of an improved notifications first cropped up last June, when Apple hired the designer who created the notification system for Palm's webOS. And Apple, through patent filings, has shown interest in creating always-in-sync widgets for touchscreen devices.

    Sources also told the site that Apple is pushing journalists to come to this year' show because "the software announcements will be huge." Apple's big changes with iOS 5 are expected to make up for the anticipated lack of hardware to be shown off at this year's event.
  2. #2  
    Could be another game changer. If this is true and it is implented well, multitasking will be one of the remaining big ticket items left as a weak point compared to other OSes.
  3. #3  
    I can't wait! So can we finally get a proper core calendar app? And a more informative home screen option? One pet peeve of mine is that you don't get a proper list of upcoming events. Unless you use 3rd party. And even then, you need to open the app. On both Android and RIM and even old WM, you get the list on the screen if you use that option. It may seem boring, but it's needed if you have appointments and tasks throughout the day.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  4. #4  
    Yuuuuup. And as much as I love love love webOS, as soon as all of the key features are part of other OS's (Along with the bomb hardware with good release schedules and enormous app catalogs that they already have)... Well... What's left to keep us?
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I can't wait! So can we finally get a proper core calendar app? And a more informative home screen option? One pet peeve of mine is that you don't get a proper list of upcoming events. Unless you use 3rd party. And even then, you need to open the app. On both Android and RIM and even old WM, you get the list on the screen if you use that option. It may seem boring, but it's needed if you have appointments and tasks throughout the day.
    Yep, I feel you. If this is true, widgets would possibly solve this conundrum. I really hope there's a suitable and customizable home/lock screen.

    I'll live without the custom lock screen if Apple hits a home run with notifications.
  6. klynn's Avatar
    Posts
    116 Posts
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    #6  
    uh oh, if true, this could be a deciding factor for me if I stay with webOS on Pre 3 or jump to iOS. The next two months are gonna be nerve-wracking!
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by klynngullo View Post
    uh oh, if true, this could be a deciding factor for me if I stay with webOS on Pre 3 or jump to iOS. The next two months are gonna be nerve-wracking!
    What about cards, "true multitasking" and synergy? That not enough to keep you on webos?

    You will now June 6 whether Apple has something or is it some and mirrors.
  8. #8  
    If I wanted a variation of widgets, I'd get an Android device and that's just all kinds of fail. Better notifications on iOS would be interesting to see. This would be interesting to me.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    What about cards, "true multitasking" and synergy? That not enough to keep you on webos?

    You will now June 6 whether Apple has something or is it some and mirrors.
    Speaking of "smoke and mirrors" ... true multitasking.
  10. #10  
    Widgets are not fail if they post the info you need on the screen for instant glance.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    If I wanted a variation of widgets, I'd get an Android device and that's just all kinds of fail. Better notifications on iOS would be interesting to see. This would be interesting to me.
    They're not for everyone, but for those that do enjoy them they can use them. Those that don't like them, can choose not to use them. That's the beauty of choice.
  12. klynn's Avatar
    Posts
    116 Posts
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    What about cards, "true multitasking" and synergy? That not enough to keep you on webos?

    You will now June 6 whether Apple has something or is it some and mirrors.
    We'll have to see what Apple comes up with. Just saying that as much as I love webOS I'm really on the fence about which OS will be better for me. Both systems have their pros and cons. WebOS is more elegant but missing some features--iOS is missing about as many so it's 50/50 right now. Kids both want iPhones so it makes sense to have the same type. But I have an emotional loyalty to Palm devices. So really torn right now. If iOS really WOWS, then I might jump. Just don't know--that's why June/July will be so nerve-wracking (contract up in July).
  13. #13  
    Meh. Unless the update changes a lot of things about iOS I don't imagine it will be very compelling for me at least. I'm just bored of it at this point.

    Not to mention that at the end of the day Apple is still Apple. If you like the way they do things, then yeah. Go with iOS. But I like my HP/Palm phones with root access out of the box and things like that.
    Last edited by FenrirWolf; 05/27/2011 at 05:30 PM.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Speaking of "smoke and mirrors" ... true multitasking.
    Ha Ha. I get your drift. That's why I put that in quotes.
    The current implementation on iOS works just fine for me, stopped me from jailbreaking again. However, I would like to load a webpage, switch to another app and come back and have the page loaded. iOS does not do that, but I live with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by klynngullo View Post
    We'll have to see what Apple comes up with. Just saying that as much as I love webOS I'm really on the fence about which OS will be better for me. Both systems have their pros and cons. WebOS is more elegant but missing some features--iOS is missing about as many so it's 50/50 right now. Kids both want iPhones so it makes sense to have the same type. But I have an emotional loyalty to Palm devices. So really torn right now. If iOS really WOWS, then I might jump. Just don't know--that's why June/July will be so nerve-wracking (contract up in July).
    Ahh emotion. I know what you mean. Was leery of switching to Apple, I have never owned anything Apple before. But moving from a Treo 700wx was no brainer, I could see winmo was going no where. My coworker was down on me for switching, we were both winmo users. Funny thing is, everytime he had a new cool app to show me on winmo 6, he always be in the middle of a reboot LOL. I left emotion behind, because it keeps you behind.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 05/27/2011 at 06:02 PM.
  15. #15  
    It’s not just iOS notifications that Apple needs to work on Macgasm

    Is not just iOS notifications that Apple needs to work on…
    Joshua Schnell
    Fri, Feb 11, 2011 @ 7:17 PM

    I’m pretty hardcore when it comes to products carrying an Apple logo. I pretty much own them all (Cinema Display, iPod touch, shuffle, iPhone, iPad, MacBook Pro, Mac Pro, and Mac mini). If that’s not drinking the kool-aid, I don’t know what qualifies today. Before I get a host of comments asking, every single one of those devices solves a very real problem in my life.

    But, spending 98% of my time on Apple devices gives me some credibility to say that iOS needs a lot more refining than just iOS notifications. Today it leaked that Apple’s looking at picking up a company to completely rebuild Push Notifications. Keep in mind that a little while back Apple also hired Rich Dellinger, the guy responsible for the fantastic notification system built into webOS.

    If you’re not sure what notifications are, ask yourself this, “have I every been interrupted by a blue popup while using my iPhone?” If the answer is yes, then you’ve seen a Push Notification. If the answer is no, consider yourself lucky. They’ve been driving most of us absolutely nuts since they were released.

    We’re going to leave the prognosticating about notifications to others today (there’s a lot of it currently). In my opinion, the problem here isn’t iOS notifications on a whole. It’s afterthought additions to iOS. If you remember, Push Notifications were Apple’s original answer to multitasking. According to Apple, iPhone users didn’t need multitasking because we’d be able to manage information from other applications with Push Notifications.

    Push Notifications had a lot of problems. Apple announced them on June 9, 2008, and expected to release the technology in September 2008, but the release kept getting delayed. 2008 turned into 2009, and by the time it was finally released, it was September 2009. It turned out that Apple had to completely rebuild the APNS services because of scalability problems.

    Apple thought Push Notifications would solve battery problems associated with background processes. Turns out they were wrong. Apple introduced multitasking soon with iOS 4.0.

    Starting to notice a pattern here yet? Apple has a history of solving new problems and giving people what they want, while forgetting about the technologies of the past. Multitasking was introduced because people kept asking for it, and Apple seemed to abandon Push Notifications. Now that people have multitasking, people are complaining about Push Notifications.

    Apple keeps providing patch jobs because people ask for them, instead of taking the time to sit down and design the best solution available.
    Folders and multitasking are just as bad as Push Notifications

    Folders and multitasking fit into the same category as Push Notifications. All three of the technologies are afterthoughts, and all three are seriously lacking the polish they need. iOS’ handling of folders is laughable, and completely unintuitive. I don’t know about you, but most of my apps in folders get lost in a vortex never to be seen again. If an app finds itself being shunted to a folder, I might as well be telling it, “it was nice knowing you,” because once it’s there, it rarely makes an appearance again.

    Multitasking was a pretty lame attempt at quieting the complainers. Can someone please explain to me why we need applications remaining in a hidden toolbar that have no business multitasking? Out of the hundreds of applications I’ve seen go into the multitasking bar, about 1 percent of them have any business being there. Again, multitasking was a patch job. It wasn’t well thought out, and it’s a joke. Why can’t we turn multi-tasking on and off like a notification on an app per app basis? Heck, if there’s no reason for an application to multitask to begin with, why is it even going into the multitasking bar? If an app isn’t built to take advantage of multitasking, why’s Apple letting it rear its head in the multitasking bar? Let’s fix this already.
    Afterthoughts

    Are you seeing what I’m seeing? Most of the dropped balls that have come as a result of iOS are being dropped on the back of functionality being added because of customer pressures. Apple didn’t spend time optimizing either of these other processes, just like they didn’t get iOS notifications right. Apple set out to quickly quell the tide of complainers instead of fixing the problems properly.

    The problem doesn’t end with iOS either. There’s a pretty long list of OS X functionalities that were added, and then abandoned. Most notable for me: Spotlight. Apple heralded Spotlight as a game changer. Filesystems were dead, and Spotlight was going to find our files for us. What’s been done to Spotlight since its release? Alfred, Quicksilver, and other 3rd party applications and launch bars already do a better job than Spotlight.

    It’s happening a lot more than I’d like, and it’s nice that Apple’s finally doing something about notifications, but I hope that they’re not abandoning the giant honey-do list of problems that still exist. It’s easy for Apple to innovate—they excel at it—but lately the sustaining isn’t going so well.

    New and shiny is easy—tried and true not so much. We need a little more focus on the latter moving forward.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Speaking of "smoke and mirrors" ... true multitasking.
    Indeed.

    Maybe Apple will actually let iOS do it this iteration.

    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Folders and multitasking fit into the same category as Push Notifications. All three of the technologies are afterthoughts, and all three are seriously lacking the polish they need. iOS’ handling of folders is laughable, and completely unintuitive. I don’t know about you, but most of my apps in folders get lost in a vortex never to be seen again. If an app finds itself being shunted to a folder, I might as well be telling it, “it was nice knowing you,” because once it’s there, it rarely makes an appearance again.
    I found a solution to that folder issue, put all apps into folders. Then you're always forced to run through folders based on whatever abbreviation you used to mark what's in them to find your app!
    Last edited by Orion Antares; 05/27/2011 at 06:00 PM.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Itís not just iOS notifications that Apple needs to work on Macgasm

    Is not just iOS notifications that Apple needs to work onÖ
    Joshua Schnell
    Fri, Feb 11, 2011 @ 7:17 PM snip..
    Great article. It would be more compelling if iOS was a failing system. As it stands, with all of the glaring inadequacies, it appears the end user is not that concerned.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Great article. It would be more compelling if iOS was a failing system. As it stands, with all of the glaring inadequacies, it appears the end user is not that concerned.
    Often times when the end user is a consumer, they don't really check to see if there is anything better. Hype can be a very powerful tool.
  19. #19  
    That guy in the article's comment about folders is soooo wrong!! It organizes and cleans up the "too many homescreens" issue I had. And yes, the apps see the light of day again.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Often times when the end user is a consumer, they don't really check to see if there is anything better. Hype can be a very powerful tool.
    You're using logic. Logic doesn't always sell. The world is full of end users. It seems a lot of people attribute the success of iOS to hype, marketing, brain washing, sheep mentality etc.
    If Apple is that powerful, to hype people of all races, creed, demonetizations, countries into buying a product that is inferior, than there are bigger problems than no notifications, mediocre multitasking etc.

    Webos could stand to use a few more sheep, otherwise known as the end user. Can't hurt.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    That guy in the article's comment about folders is soooo wrong!! It organizes and cleans up the "too many homescreens" issue I had. And yes, the apps see the light of day again.
    Correct. The author's comment on folders is a personal user issue.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 05/27/2011 at 08:51 PM.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions