Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    i think you'll never see widgets but eventually you'll see different notifications.
    yeah. i was right. lol.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    yeah. i was right. lol.
    Not necessarily. And I can't say much more than that, publicly.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    iPhone Multitasking: Press Home twice and flickthrough the cards for your open apps: Apple Multitasking Cards Video.

iPhone Just Type: Swipe right on the iOS home screen to bring up iPhone Spotlight and just type to search the device apps and internet (customize).

I am no fan of the iPhone but it already does these things.
    I think this is being a bit generous toward iOS. You don't flick through "cards" in iOS multitasking at all - you flick through much-smaller app icons in a small runway on the bottom of the device. They're not live. It's functional, but I wouldn't call it superior (or even equal) to webOS in any sense.

As for the search function in iOS - that's all it is. Search. Just Type functions like type to SMS, email, tweet, calendar, etc. are not yet duplicated on any platform I'm aware of. And iOS makes you take another step (or steps) to get to the search screen, if the home screen you're on isn't the left-most one.

I'm not an iOS detractor (I enjoy my iPad), but the features you mentioned are really not as similar as you suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by genearch View Post
    Well that seals it! Engadget's resident WebOSFanboy chimes in.
    Uhm. You mean Boy Genius Report?
    Testing the developer version huh?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Scott Forstall offhandedly mentioned something about flicking through apps with new multitasking gestures in iOS 5. I'm guessing that's not in the first beta though.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Scott Forstall offhandedly mentioned something about flicking through apps with new multitasking gestures in iOS 5. I'm guessing that's not in the first beta though.
    It's enabled by default on the iPad 2 using the 4-finger swipe to swipe between apps, close an app and also show the multitask drawer. The same thing on the iPhone, however I believe they're working on other/new gestures for it.
    Is the iPad implementation similar to Lion, where apps open into full screen Spaces and you just flick between them?
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Is the iPad implementation similar to Lion, where apps open into full screen Spaces and you just flick between them?
    No. It's the exact same as what was seen in iOS 4.x (that was enabled by turning developer mode on). However, it does seem gestures are more of a focus in iOS 5 so I wouldn't be surprised to see some changes/additions in the coming betas.

They said fall release, so we're still looking at a solid 2 months for things to change.
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    I think this is being a bit generous toward iOS. You don't flick through "cards" in iOS multitasking at all - you flick through much-smaller app icons in a small runway on the bottom of the device.
    With iOS you can flick through smaller graphical representations of apps until you find the one you want. Note how the cards look when you flick them the apps. (From apple.com)

Switch between apps quickly.
    The multitasking user interface allows you to quickly switch between apps. Just double-click the Home button to reveal your recently used apps. Scroll right to see more apps, then tap one to reopen it. No need to wait for the app to reload.

And pick up right where you left off.
    Apps can remember where you left off. So when you return to the app, you can jump right back into playing your game, reading the news, finding a restaurant, or whatever you were doing.
    ...It's functional, but I wouldn't call it superior (or even equal) to webOS in any sense.
    I did not say iOS was superior. I said that you can press Home twice and flick through your open apps. I do not feel that iOS is superior.
    As for the search function in iOS - that's all it is. Search. Just Type functions like type to SMS, email, tweet, calendar, etc. are not yet duplicated on any platform I'm aware of.
    Apple says they include text, email, calendar, etc.:
    ...On the main Home screen, flick your finger to the right, then type what you’re looking for in the search field. Search looks through everything on your iPhone — app names, contacts, calendars, songs, email and text messages, notes, and more. From there, a single tap takes you where you want to go.

iPhone Voice Control let's you just talk instead.

Tell iPhone who to call...just say “Call Elliot” or “Call 555-1234,” and iPhone makes the call....

Request some music....ask iPhone to play a specific album, artist, or playlist...

Android also has Search, Voice Search, and Voice Actions
    Tap Search to just type but that is illegal when you are driving in 30 states. It is faster to long press Search and say something like:
    - • text Bill Byrne let's meet at 6 o'clock on fifth avenue outside the guggenheim museum
    - • listen to Jimmy Buffet
    - • call John Chase at home
    - • email Ted McKee Confirming our meeting with John at 1 PM
    - • note to self Find paperwork for John
    - • navigate to Olive Garden in _____ (town names)
    - • go to wikipedia

I am confident that webOS will be able to do this.
    ...I'm not an iOS detractor (I enjoy my iPad), but the features you mentioned are really not as similar as you suggest.
    I did not say they are similar. I just told how they worked.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 06/08/2011 at 08:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    With iOS you can flick through smaller graphical representations of apps until you find the one you want. Note how the cards look when you flick them the apps. (Form apple.com)

Switch between apps quickly.
    The multitasking user interface allows you to quickly switch between apps. Just double-click the Home button to reveal your recently used apps. Scroll right to see more apps, then tap one to reopen it. No need to wait for the app to reload.

And pick up right where you left off.
    Apps can remember where you left off. So when you return to the app, you can jump right back into playing your game, reading the news, finding a restaurant, or whatever you were doing.

I did not say iOS was superior. I said that you can press Home twice and flick through your open apps. I do not feel that iOS is superior.

Apple says they include text, email, calendar, etc.:
    ...On the main Home screen, flick your finger to the right, then type what you’re looking for in the search field. Search looks through everything on your iPhone — app names, contacts, calendars, songs, email and text messages, notes, and more. From there, a single tap takes you where you want to go.

iPhone Voice Control let's you just talk instead.

Tell iPhone who to call...just say “Call Elliot” or “Call 555-1234,” and iPhone makes the call....

Request some music....ask iPhone to play a specific album, artist, or playlist...

Android also has Search, Voice Search, and Voice Actions
    Tap Search to just type but that is illegal when you are driving in 30 states. It is faster to long press Search and say something like:
    - • text Bill Byrne let's meet at 6 o'clock on fifth avenue outside the guggenheim museum
    - • listen to Jimmy Buffet
    - • call John Chase at home
    - • email Ted McKee Confirming our meeting with John at 1 PM
    - • note to self Find paperwork for John
    - • navigate to Olive Garden in _____ (town names)
    - • go to wikipedia

I am confident that webOS will be able to do this.
    I did not say they are similar. I just told how they worked.
    Opps LOL. And thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Not necessarily. And I can't say much more than that, publicly.
    well i probably shouldn't have said never. But at least so far i'm right. I still don't know about widgets though. I'm still saying they won't happen though.
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    I think this is being a bit generous toward iOS. You don't flick through "cards" in iOS multitasking at all - you flick through much-smaller app icons in a small runway on the bottom of the device. They're not live. It's functional, but I wouldn't call it superior (or even equal) to webOS in any sense.
    i was listening to the iphone live podcast and they mentioned how apple has already fixed several issues, multitasking and notification being one of them. They seem satisfied with it. I think the huge majority of iphone users think multitasking works just fine and is a solved issue. They don't care if it's not "superior." Really, I think the only people complaining about ios multitasking are webos users that don't buy iphones anyways.
    Multitasking is just a weird argument to me because...you know...it works. I can have email pushed to me while I'm routing a trip using the GPS while I'm listening to music. It just works for me and it has since iOS 4 was released.
    there are lots of weird arguments to me now. Especially in the context of how i bought my Pre. When i walked into the Sprint store i never considered how many megahertz the cpu was or if the screen had gorilla glass. I didn't know what that was. I still don't exactly know what amoled means and don't really care. It never occured to me to even google how much ram the pre had. Like i don't get the spec wars arguments. I'm not saying specs are unimportant just that big picture once you get most of what people want many things become less important. LIke now you want hd video recording but most people aren't going to freak out if it's not 1080p. (Personally i want 1080p but i think the average consumer will just be happy it's really clear. But I liked the pre, i bought it, it may not have done everything, but at the time i did enough, and it had enough features to satisfy me at the time. i didn't freak out about the details. I think lots of consumers are like that. Things may not need to be perfect and at a point many things are good enough. Like PCs may not be as pretty as macs but they are cheaper and do the same thing and for most people (and businesses) it's good enough. Multitasking is good enough for the people that like ios. sure it could be better. Maybe they'll change it but i don't hear the ios people complaining about it and haven't on any podcast since it was introduced. So i just think multitasking was what the pre hung it's hat on and people that like the pre so still want it to be something that they "win" on. But my reading is that game kinda is over.
    Some good press for webOS besides the imminent Touchpad launch. http://m.bgr.com/2011/06/08/apples-i...-still-better/

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
    Thanks, I posted it here and then I think someone else made a thread for it also:

http://forums.precentral.net/other-h...ml#post2985752
    That was a good read. Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by JPDVM2014 View Post
    Some good press for webOS besides the imminent Touchpad launch. BGRApple's iOS 5 notifications are great, but webOS is still better

Lol...oops. Guess I should have searched first.

<<threads merged with the magical merging fingers>>
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    i think you'll never see
    widgets
    but eventually you'll see different notifications.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast