Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    It's amazing to see such anti-iOS rhetoric in the above post (by bluenote) from a self-proclaimed 'credible' Apple fan. His arguments are moot, in the most sensible form.

Apple thought Push Notifications would solve battery problems associated with background processes. Turns out they were wrong. Apple introduced multitasking soon with iOS 4.0.
    Is he claiming here that push notifications in place of a background task that polls x seconds/minutes doesn't save on battery consumption? If so, he may want to reevaluate things or reword this altogether if he means something different.

Can someone please explain to me why we need applications remaining in a hidden toolbar that have no business multitasking? Out of the hundreds of applications I’ve seen go into the multitasking bar, about 1 percent of them have any business being there. Again, multitasking was a patch job. It wasn’t well thought out, and it’s a joke. Why can’t we turn multi-tasking on and off like a notification on an app per app basis?
    This clearly shows his lack of understanding of how the lower-level architecture of iOS works. There are in-app settings of particular applications that let you toggle certain background tasks on/off. Those apps listed in the drawer serve two purposes: fast task switching and the ability to completely kill a task (more like remove from memory since a majority aren't technically running).

Apple (particularly Steve) has made it very clear they pay attention to customer needs/demands but that doesn't dictate the direction that Apple ultimately wants to take things.
    i think you'll never see widgets but eventually you'll see different notifications.
    They say that imitation is the highest form of flattery....
    Last edited by netwrkr9; 05/28/2011 at 11:39 AM.
    The folder's in iOS are the most aesthetic pleasing and practical as well. Notifications do need a major overhaul and I don't see a problem with iOS multitasking. I miss a lot of webOS features though. Especially having phone settings in the upper right hand corner
    iPhone Multitasking: Press Home twice and flickthrough the cards for your open apps: Apple Multitasking Cards Video.

iPhone Just Type: Swipe right on the iOS home screen to bring up iPhone Spotlight and just type to search the device apps and internet (customize).

I am no fan of the iPhone but it already does these things.
    I am very excited to see what Apple has in store for us at WWDC. If they can fix the notifications and add widgets, as this would suggest, then I'm going to make the switch. I love my Pre, but HP hasn't been 'there' for us, and I am not comfortable standing behind them anymore. This is my opinion for now. IF HP can pull off some brilliant marketing for their new 'ecosystem', then perhaps I'll reconsider.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    i think you'll never see widgets but eventually you'll see different notifications.
    Honestly, I'll be surprised if widgets is in iOS 5, but a new notification system is definitely coming. That's a given. However, MG Siegler is pretty confident and he's never really been one to post on rumors in the past, so I take it in good faith that he knows something others don't (obviously).
    Quote Originally Posted by shanshor View Post
    I am very excited to see what Apple has in store for us at WWDC. If they can fix the notifications and add widgets, as this would suggest, then I'm going to make the switch. I love my Pre, but HP hasn't been 'there' for us, and I am not comfortable standing behind them anymore. This is my opinion for now. IF HP can pull off some brilliant marketing for their new 'ecosystem', then perhaps I'll reconsider.
    The Pre 3 release will happen this year. You are so close why not just wait. Besides, from the rumors, the Pre 3 may be released by ios 5 or a new iphone.

From reading a lot of comments here, people moving from webos to iphone are generally not happy. That of course is just my take on it.
    I am happy switching over for now. The apps looks a lot better, more apps of course & the OS is more refined aesthetically & with more options right now. But I do hope webOS continues to flourish because I would love to get a Touchpad or Touchpad 2 most likely.
    Quote Originally Posted by draztikrhymez View Post
    I am happy switching over for now. The apps looks a lot better, more apps of course & the OS is more refined aesthetically & with more options right now. But I do hope webOS continues to flourish because I would love to get a Touchpad or Touchpad 2 most likely.
    Wait for June 6
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Wait for June 6
    WWDC?
    that, and hp will be holding an event from june 6-10
    Here's something wild from the NYTimes. Pogue made a trip to the Genius Bar with his friend to help her figure out how to conserve battery life on her rapidly draining iphone.
    The Genius bar person told them to close background apps, apparently not as easy as it seems.

Here below is the relevant piece from the Pogue article and it seems as if he posted instructions to delete apps, not to close them.
    As an aside, if you do delete an app accidentally you can get it back via tethering to itunes.

"Background apps. Nicole the Genius discovered that my friend had a huge number of apps open — maybe 40 of them. She maintained that they were using battery power, too, in the background.

Now, I kept my mouth shut. But I’d been led to believe that background apps are generally frozen into suspended animation precisely so that they don’t use battery power. In fact, Apple was criticized when it introduced “multitasking” in the latest iPhone software, precisely because apps don’t actually keep operating in the background. Only a few sanctioned features keep running in the background (Internet radio playback and GPS tracking, for example).

Even so, Nicole quit all 40 of the apps that were still open. (To do that, double-press the Home button to open the multitasking app switcher. Hold your finger down on any icon until they all start wiggling. Tap the little X close boxes to manually quit open apps.)"

Four Ways to Make Your Battery Last Longer - NYTimes.com
    iOS and Android seem similar in that respect. The apps are suspended but still eat a bit of the memory(and I guess battery too) to stay in the background. I end up shutting down a lot of stuff on both platforms, though a little less on iOS.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Topolsky got a leak this morning--here's the gist of what he says:

"This one is a doozy, and will strike a crazy blow to RIM if true. The word is that Apple is readying its own MMS / SMS protocol which will be a native part of the phone. We’re not entirely clear on how this would work, but apparently it will be able to automatically identify iOS users and route the message accordingly.

Notifications will now be handled in drop down located at the top of the screen...similar to webOS...Not only will this screen house your recent notifications, but it will tout proper widgets like weather, stocks, and more. (you have to swipe down on menu to see these)

Surprisingly, Apple is making significant changes to the lock screen as well. There will now be notifications shown on this screen with a small icon to the left of each notification..."

iOS 5: BBM-style messaging, Android-style notifications, widgets, and more? | This is my next...
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Just shown ar WWDC.... Notifications blow WebOS away....

Can't get ESPN scores on WebOS
    Just shown ar WWDC.... Notifications blow WebOS away....
    Well... until now, I saw the samething that I have in Android...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    BGR's Zach Epstein:
    WebOS notifications are better than Apple's improvements for iOS 5

Apple's iOS 5 notifications are great, but webOS is still better
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    BGR's Zach Epstein:
    WebOS notifications are better than Apple's improvements for iOS 5

Apple's iOS 5 notifications are great, but webOS is still better
    Well that seals it! Engadget's resident WebOSFanboy chimes in.
    There's still plenty of time for Apple to change something anyway.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast