1.    #1  
    Hi all

I looks as if Skype WON'T support other platforms! I'm not surprised. However, I think this will also spur other firms to step into the void.

Take care,

Jay

Microsoft Skype breaks open-source partnership
    By Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols | May 25, 2011, 9:15am PDT

Microsoft Skype breaks open-source partnership | ZDNet

Summary: What a surprise! The pre-Microsoft purchase Skype will no longer let Digium include Skype functionality in its open-source Asterisk telephone services server.

I told you so. I knew that Steve Ballmer could talk all he wanted about how Microsoft would continue to support non-Microsoft platforms, but that there was no way he’d actually do it. The first proof is here. Digium, the company behind the popular open-source Asterisk private-branch exchange (PBX) program, has announced that Skype has unilaterally ended its deal that allowed Asterisk to work with Skype.

Digium’s letter to its Asterisk users reads:

Skype for Asterisk will not be available for sale or activation after July 26, 2011.

Skype for Asterisk was developed by Digium in cooperation with Skype. It includes proprietary software from Skype that allows Asterisk to join the Skype network as a native client. Skype has decided not to renew the agreement that permits us to package this proprietary software. Therefore Skype for Asterisk sales and activations will cease on July 26, 2011.

This change should not affect any existing users of Skype for Asterisk. Representatives of Skype have assured us that they will continue to support and maintain the Skype for Asterisk software for a period of two years thereafter, as specified in the agreement with Digium. We expect that users of Skype for Asterisk will be able to continue using their Asterisk systems on the Skype network until at least July 26, 2013. Skype may extend this at their discretion.

Skype for Asterisk remains for sale and activation until July 26, 2011. Please complete any purchases and activations before that date.

It doesn’t require a genius to see what the Microsoft and Skype are doing. This summer Microsoft will be launching the Microsoft-hosted version of its Lync unified-communications server, aka Lync Online. Asterisk is a direct competitor to the entire Lync line. Need I say more?

While Microsoft still hasn’t explained how they’re going to integrate Skype’s rickety peer-to-peer (P2P) infrastructure with its server-based Lync server or its cloud-based Lync Online, it’s on their to-do list. What isn’t on MicroSkype’s to do list is supporting non-Microsoft owned and controlled platforms.

Skype’s Response:

Jennifer Caukin, a spokeswoman for Skype, has a different slant. Caukin said, “Skype made the decision to retire Skype for Asterisk several months ago, as we have prioritized our focus around implementing the IETF SIP [Session Initiation Protocol] standard in our Skype Connect solution. SIP enjoys the broadest support of any of the available signaling alternatives by business communications equipment vendors, including Digium. By supporting SIP in favor of alternatives, we maximize our resources and continue to reinforce our commitment to delivering Skype on key platforms where we can meet the broadest customer demand.”
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 05/25/2011 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Title clarified
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    It's reasons like this that Apple used Facetime as the official integrated option in iOS. Although closed source leaves out tons of people it means you don't have to worry about things like this.
    integrate this with googles video chat service and I'm set. Skype would be great, but googles video chat isnt too bad.
  4.    #4  
    Hi all,

HP has designed it's own. However before MS bought Skype it was thought to be for HP sales staff but now who knows?

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

HP has designed it's own. However before MS bought Skype it was thought to be for HP sales staff but now who knows?

Take care,

Jay
    True, last year they bought some video conferencing company after Palm acquisition
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by darkzone View Post
    True, last year they bought some video conferencing company after Palm acquisition
    Hi, we may have to deal with that system ourselves.

Take care,

Jay
    Wait...i think there is some confusion.

Skype is on platforms still that Skye supports...i think their open source plug-ins are going away.
    i fully expect to still see skype on ios, android and even webos. Skype might become more closed but that doesnt mean we wont see it off windows devices
    Quote Originally Posted by dcbo89 View Post
    i fully expect to still see skype on ios, android and even webos. Skype might become more closed but that doesnt mean we wont see it off windows devices
    How does focus on a SIP client option make Skype more closed? Maybe I'm misreading what they say their reasons are.
    Well Skype just got reversed engineered and released freely...
    Who can/will recompile it and port it to webOS?
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    yea i think we he said they would support other platforms the main concern was Mac or ios or android or other software platforms. Allowing it to continue to be a plug in for other direct competitors isnt going to fly.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    yeah, just open source stuff, if u license from skype u wont see a change
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    They have not killed the open source partnership. They've actually opened it up in some ways. With Skype for Asterisk there was a specific interface into the Digium distribution of asterisk. They are now opening it up to generically work with SIP. SIP is the standard by which many voice over IP services operate. In fact it is the basis for much of Asterisk in general. This means that people using Asterisk can easily connect to Skype. What Digium has lost is the direct connection to their implementation of asterisk and they are unhappy because they no longer have that product to sell. On the other hand people who are using any asterisk based implementations can connect using SIP. This includes those using the Digium distribution. It also means that anybody who has a different SIP based voice over IP system can also connect.