Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

My Fiancée needs to have foot surgery and will be laid up for at least 3 months. I was thinking about getting her an e-reader, to help occupy her time, as she is an avid reader.

Do any of you have any suggestions, as to which brand you prefer?

I thought about getting her a pad but she has a Netbook, so she doesn't want one.

She also doesn't want a smart phone under any circumstances. She feels mine is fine for the both of us.

Thanks for any input.

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Is she interested in any of the ones just released? They aren't bad. I'd go with the Barnes and Noble one myself. Big library. There's the Kindle with it's huge library. The Sony eReader is supposedly pretty open, believe it or not. It seems to be pretty well made also(tested one at Best Buy). Which formats is she using?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I would suggest the Nook for one reason: I read that they support something that allows them to check books out from the public library. Of course you will need to verify that, but if that's the case then I consider it a knock out differentiator from the Kindle, which apparently doesn't do that.
    The Kindle is great! The newest & cheapest model is only $114 and it is so portable. There are hundreds of free books (new and old) and the e-ink is supposed to be the best out there.
  5.    #5  
    Hi all,

Thank you to all of you for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I would suggest the Nook for one reason: I read that they support something that allows them to check books out from the public library. Of course you will need to verify that, but if that's the case then I consider it a knock out differentiator from the Kindle, which apparently doesn't do that.
    The Kindle will also allow checking books out of the public library before the year is out.

It will work in Library systems that use a software called "Overdrive". My county's library's system doesn't use Overdrive, however Amy's county does, (we still live apart as she still has about 3/4 or a year left on her lease).

(I never looked into the issue of the library having books available for downloading nor did I know of "Overdrive" until now. As I listen to the Library Of Congress' Nation Library Service for the blind or disabled talking book program, (LOC/NLS). If you belong to LOC/NLS we are given a digital book player that works with LOC/NLS proprietary encoded downloadable books).

Thanks again all,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    nook...it supports overdrive. (well, adobe epub anyway! I used to work at overdrive. I love the tech. I've been bugging a few of the people there trying to get OMC for webos!

check out search.overdrive.com to find libraries and books near you.
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    My Kindle 3G barely weighs anything while a friends Nook Color felt very heavy to me. I can read my Kindle's e-ink for hours without fatigue, but when I pick up where I left off in a book using my Xoom's Kindle app I tend to read for much shorter periods. everyone's experience/needs are different, and I don't think there's a bad choice out there - good luck to you both!

Clarice
    Edit: i was referring to eye fatigue, not arm, from the weight-although my Xoom is a brick and does wear out my arms when reading!
    Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    Kindle is my first choice for the 3g and the amazon store.

But june 10th nook has a great looking new reader coming out.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    My wife and I have a Nook 3G and my wife loves it! (So much, that I really don't get to mess with it.) It does have very good support for a variety of formats, except the Kindle format and the instances where I've put .pdf files on it, I've been happy with the results.

As mentioned, there is a new Nook version forthcoming. Also, according to Engadget, B&N is putting the B&W wifi version on eBay for $99.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by shrxwin View Post
    My Kindle 3G barely weighs anything while a friends Nook Color felt very heavy to me. I can read my Kindle's e-ink for hours without fatigue, but when I pick up where I left off in a book using my Xoom's Kindle app I tend to read for much shorter periods. everyone's experience/needs are different, and I don't think there's a bad choice out there - good luck to you both!

Clarice
    Edit: i was referring to eye fatigue, not arm, from the weight-although my Xoom is a brick and does wear out my arms when reading!
    Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    It's been stated by those who read digital a lot that e-ink is always better. I've looked and can see why. Much less strain, you focus on the print. The backlight on LCD can be distracting.

i don't really know much about the ereaders but i saw today on the news that there is a new nook out so i figured i'd post this link Barnes & Noble announces new touch-enabled Nook for $139 (video) -- Engadget

haven't read it. Don't know if they say it sucks. it's just the first link i recognized when i google "new nook"
    Kindle, hands down. I spent months researching e readers before deciding on the kindle. small, lite, easy, simple to understand and handle, plus they had the best selection on the type of books i read.
    I love my Kindle! It is so light. It also holds up when I get into one of my bad(or good) reading moods. That's when I read non-stop except for maybe 8-10 hours sleep between 6pm on Friday and 2am on Monday. If I have a full charge when I start on Friday, I don't plug it into the charger until I go to bed on Monday.
    I just picked up a Kindle from woot ($95) with 3G for my parents. I've been looking at it for a while now and I think both the Kindle and the Nook have their strong points. It basically boiled down to this comparison for me:

Kindle:
    Advantage:
    - Longer than Nook battery life (3 to 4 weeks, vs a few days)
    - Amazon (I find this a huge plus since I really like Amazon)

Nook:
    Advantage:
    - More titles available
    - Expandable memory
    - 3G and WiFi (both) model is cheaper... (though I think not by much)

Both of these can be had by shopping around properly for around $100 (give or take 10 or 15).
    I would not count out the Sony eReaders. They are a bit more expensive, but they have touchscreens, use the newer e-Ink Pearl technology, are Overdrive compatible, and have several sizes to choose from. Plus they are lighter than either the Nook or the Kindle when comparing similarly-sized screens, and are cased in aluminum. My choice would be the Sony Reader Daily Edition, since I would want a larger screen for reading manga. At $300 it's quite a bit more expensive than either a Nook or a Kindle, but considering its screen size... A Kindle DX has an even larger screen, but it's $379 and is twice as heavy as the Sony.

If you don't want the bigger screen, the Sony 6" reader (same size as a Kindle) is $229, and they also have a "pocket" 5" reader for $179.

Overdrive would be very important to me.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Got the gf a kindle, got the $139 version though, not a fan of ads. So easy to read on, I probibly use it more than her

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
    Palm prē-ist.
    She'll love whatever reader you get her if she's an avid reader, but the Kindle also allows you to download audio books directly to your device (from audible.com). Amazon bought audible and I read digital books, but also listen to audio books when I'm in the car, cleaning, cooking etc.

I love my kindle and I'm amazed by all the stuff I use it for. I send my word docs and etc to it so that I have copies of my Bible reading plans, material I'm writing, shopping lists, etc. It costs nothing to send the document over Wi-Fi and you can delete it whenever you like.

I think the ability to have a touch screen like the Nook would be good, but I don't think it would be worth the ability to read in any light (sunlight) and hours on end w/o eyestrain. Thus, although I like the idea of the other stuff, I went with the Kindle. An avid reader wants to read.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post

I think the ability to have a touch screen like the Nook would be good, but I don't think it would be worth the ability to read in any light (sunlight) and hours on end w/o eyestrain. Thus, although I like the idea of the other stuff, I went with the Kindle. An avid reader wants to read.

HI,

Thank you!

1. I didn't realize that the new Nook touchscreen didn't use e-ink....as e-ink is supposed to be easier on the eyes.

2. I emailed Amazon to see which of the library download formats Kindle will be supporting. So far I have discovered that there is Overdrive & Bookmyne. My county just started supporting Bookmyne not overdrive. Her county supports Overdrive.

3. Amazon doesn't have a specific date other than sometime this year. However they did tell me they will be supporting the OVERDRIVE format.

Take care,

Jay
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    I suggest you browse around the MobileRead Forum:

MobileRead Forums

They have a comparison spread-sheet so you can look at the features side-by-side. You can also see what owners like and dislike about their choice of readers.

The eInk technology is really good for reading. I have a (pre-kindle) reader I got in 2007 that I'm still using. It lasts months on a charge (8000 page-flips) and the text is close to a physical book. I charge it up before I travel, and I don't even bother to bring the charger along. I could never replace it with a device using LCD technology, I would get read-fatigue too early.

Gary
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast