Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    I am also a Kindle 3 wifi user and really enjoy it.

E-Ink is the only way to go for an e-reader so for me the Nook was a no go. With amazon supporting e-pub in the very near future I consider that a non-issue (overdrive and bookmyne). I would really only consider the Sony and the Kindle.

My Kindle battery lasts for weeks of use (2-3 solid weeks, reading 3 or 4 books during that time) and has been very stable and enjoyable.

One thing to note about Overdrive or other library sponsored epub checkout systems. The users only have access to the number of copies the library has. What I have heard is that you can wait weeks on a list then when you get the book you have two weeks to read with no renewal capability if someone is next on the list. We have all been to a library where it takes a while to get a book - going to be no different here.

Good luck
    Dan
    I chose Nook for several reasons and I love it. (I'm talking about the original one; the new one is not out yet.)

The Nook supports the ePub format which is widely available and is available for public library check-out (Overdrive). Barnes and Noble has the largest collection of eBooks available. In addition, if she likes classic literature, Project Gutenberg has a huge collection of free copyright-free books in ePub format.
    Online Book Catalog - Overview - Project Gutenberg

The other reasons I chose the Nook at the time were that it had the capacity to add storage. My Nook came with 2 GB on board and I added an 8 GB microSD. The other was that it had a user-replaceable battery. I have not kept up with the market, so I am not sure about the current version of the Kindle.

As djmcgee said, you'll need to check with your library to see whether they support eBooks and if so, how many they have. Unfortunately, my library has only 300 titles so far.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 05/26/2011 at 06:35 AM.
    The Sony readers use an e-Ink touchscreen. Not certain, but I don't think any other readers have that. Most either are e-Ink screens with button inputs, or they are LCD touchscreens. The Sony also comes with a stylus, which you can use to highlight or take freehand notes on the screen.

And of course, being fully Overdrive compatible, it also supports ePub. It comes with 2GB storage built in, and up to a 32GB SD card can be added.

The only downside to the Sony is the somewhat higher cost, as far as I can tell. But hey, it's still cheaper than a tablet. And I know there will probably be a lot of disagreement here, but an e-Ink reader IMO is gobs more useful than a tablet. Tablet is a nifty look-at-me gadget, but an e-Ink reader lets you read books.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Sony Readed Pocket Edition

it has a touch screen
    bright e-ink display
    library checkout
    ePub, PDF, .doc and many other file supports
    it is well made and solid

it is pocketable and wel priced
  5.    #25  
    Hi all,

1. I have a correction to make, Bookmyne isn't a competing software to Overdrive it is an app for the Iphone and soon for Android.

2. My county has just signed a contract with Overdrive.

Take care,

jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Hey Jay,

I just got my Amazon Kindle (2nd Gen) for under $100. It is truly amazing. e-Ink is great for reading! Kindle also has text to speech. I'm listening to a book while I type this right now. . It's super convenient. I also downloaded an ebook manager (Calibre). It automatically converts any book format into any other format. I chose the kindle over the nook because of battery life. Also: The Kindle is built with brushed aluminum (at least in the back). It's a VERY solid build (Doesn't feel like cheap plastic, like it actually looks like in pictures). It's very light and easy on the eyes. The screen may seem a bit small, but it's very nice and actually adequately sized after some use. Also a plus: The Kindle uses micro-USB so the Pre Chargers work on it. .

I'm a huge fan of these e-readers. I got it for my parents because I'll be getting a touchpad with the Kindle app, but I'll be EXTREMELY jealous of the e-ink screen. I would strongly support the Amazon Kindle, if anyone is considering an e-reader. It's a steal at under $100. For the ad-supported version ($114) I've read and seen that the ads are entirely unobtrusive and are actually ads for things on Amazon (so if you're an Amazon shopper, they might actually be worthwhile!).
  7.    #27  
    Hi, Thank you I didn't realize there was software to convert one talking book format to another. Sadly that won't work for me. I listen to talking books and have for almost 19 years now. However, these are recorded by the Library Of Congress' National Library Service for the Blind & Disabled, (LOC/NLS) in a proprietary format federal law prevents non member from even buying the playback equipment.

Federal law also prevents any software firm using or converting to or from the (LOC/NLS) format, (this b/c under the federal copyright law books are to me recorded for the blind and disabled free of any royalties.

Although the new head of the (LOC/NLS) recently told me that Congress and the copyright office will be hammering out a deal which will allow the conversion of non (LOC/NLS) prerecorded books in other formats to the (LOC/NLS).

Currently only prerecorded audio books recorded in CD format is allowed to be encoded in the (LOC/NLS). Soon that will change to allow what ever formats that are used by Audible, iTunes etc....

However that will be a one way street, (LOC/NLS)....the public will at large will not be allowed to listen to (LOC/NLS) format books. (LOC/NLS) books cannot be played on computers so to prevent them from being rerecorded in another format, since software to do only exists at (LOC/NLS).

Currently we are supplied with a desktop player and we are on our own to buy a portable unit, there are about 3 or 4 brands and they run approx $350 each.

They all use a security token, which has to be activated by (LOC/NLS). There will eventually be software that will allow us to avoid buying these $350 players, (I'm pleased since that is $350 x 3 (my Mom, My Fiancée and myself)).

We will be able to listen to then on Ipods etc...however again it will be a one way street, as they will have authentication security software for ipods and other brands as well, that will prevent non members from using the (LOC/NLS) download server or to convert to and from the (LOC/NLS).

This will be great for travel, as I won't have to schlep my smartphone, my Victor Stream Reader, an MP3 Player and what ever charging equipment I have to have for each.

Thanks agaon, & Take care,

jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    All the newest generations of eReaders, including the new touchscreen Nook and touchscreen Kobo player, have the latest generation (Pearl) eInk. Kindle is the only one that currently does not support library lending through OverDrive, though that is expected "later in the year" (whatever that means).

I have a Kindle and an older Sony eReader...I love the Kindle for its 3G access to the Kindle store (though my wallet hates me) - I was able to buy & download the last book of a trilogy while on my cruise in the middle of the Caribbean last week! I like my Sony eReader because it is immensely smaller than the Kindle and solidly built, but the older generation of Sonys have less sharp ink, and no WiFi. And, the touchscreen actually gets annoying after awhile - more movement required to flip a page vs. keeping your hand stable & pressing a well-placed button while in bed.

Here's a good comparison of the Readers from Engadget: Nook WiFi and Kobo eReader Touch Edition assault the Amazon Kindle fortress: a chart -- Engadget

Good luck with your search!! I never thought I would love my Kindle as much as I do.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12