Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Sorry for the dumb question but i cant find anything online to just show me basically how to handle multitasking on android. I'm thinking of switching to android, can someone please tell me how to multitask on android?
    Sure.

When you're in an app and want to switch to another one running in the background, you can either:

1) Hit the Home button and then go to the app launcher to manually find the app you're looking for and run it, or

2) Press and hold the Home button to launch the app switcher. A window pops up showing you your 8 most-recently-used apps. You select the one you want to return to.

Neither is foolproof - sometimes Android will close apps in the background if you're doing something memory-intensive in the foreground, so sometimes apps will need to re-load. This is similar to returning to a long-dormant browser card in webOS, where the page needs to be reloaded.

IMO, the Android method is far clunkier, but it does the job.

EDIT:

Jump to the 40-second mark in this video to see the app switcher. This is a dated example, but it's essentially the same today in 2.2 (just prettier):

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by VCI_Cell; 05/23/2011 at 05:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    Sure.

When you're in an app and want to switch to another one running in the background, you can either:

1) Hit the Home button and then go to the app launcher to manually find the app you're looking for and run it, or

2) Press and hold the Home button to launch the app switcher. A window pops up showing you your 8 most-recently-used apps. You select the one you want to return to.

Neither is foolproof - sometimes Android will close apps in the background if you're doing something memory-intensive in the foreground, so sometimes apps will need to re-load. This is similar to returning to a long-dormant browser card in webOS, where the page needs to be reloaded.

IMO, the Android method is far clunkier, but it does the job.

Hope this helps!
    good summary.

i want to hark on the closing of background apps for a bit because its quite confusing for even me (an android user).

When you are switching apps, you never really know what to expect when you return to one of your recent app. There is no way to predict which app will be closed in the background, and when an app is closed, there is no indication it has happened.

This is pretty frustrating. for example: There are times when i'm making progress in a game, take a call or text, then switch back to my game, only to find that all of my progress was lost and i'm back to the opening screen.

Other times i'll switch back to the same game without issue. It seems almost random.

One of my major gripes with android is the number of queries you have to answer in order to get simple tasks done, but this is a situation where i wouldn't mind a simple "RAM usage is critically high, which app would you like to close"
    ^ I agree entirely with that post.
    Quote Originally Posted by mozzarella72 View Post
    Sorry for the dumb question but i cant find anything online to just show me basically how to handle multitasking on android. I'm thinking of switching to android, can someone please tell me how to multitask on android?
    It doesn't. Mwuahahahahaaa... >

LOL. I kid. I REALLY dislike it compared to webOS but it's better than WP7 (i.e. Nothing)
    Glad to see you got an answer, but why wouldn't you ask this on an Android forum?

-Skippy
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy07 View Post
    Glad to see you got an answer, but why wouldn't you ask this on an Android forum?

-Skippy
    how is the "other handhelds" section not a reasonable place to ask? maybe he wants an answer from the perspective of people who are familiar with webOS and Android, and his probability of getting such an answer is higher here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    how is the "other handhelds" section not a reasonable place to ask? maybe he wants an answer from the perspective of people who are familiar with webOS and Android, and his probability of getting such an answer is higher here.
    Never said it wasn't reasonable to ask here in the "other handhelds" section.

He never said that he would like to know how to multitask on Android from a WebOS users perspective. He simply said he would like to know how to multitask on Android.

I don't have a problem with the question being asked and answered here. I just know that if I wanted to find out how Android worked, I would go where there's a lot of users of that platform. That would be the Android forums.

-Skippy
  9.    #9  
    I looked to post in the android forum first, but saw that i needed to make a new account. At least i think i did? anyway thanks for the info. Yea it doesn't seem like i can deal with that kind of multitasking after already experiencing webos.

One more question though. How do you close apps in android? is there a way you can close them from the app switcher screen?

He never said that he would like to know how to multitask on Android from a WebOS users perspective. He simply said he would like to know how to multitask on Android.

I don't have a problem with the question being asked and answered here. I just know that if I wanted to find out how Android worked, I would go where there's a lot of users of that platform. That would be the Android forums.

-Skippy
    Inertia. He has an account here - why not use it. If the info was poor, incomplete, etc. he would still have the option of doing what you say - but at the incrementally lower cost of not creating an account on a forum he isn't sure he wants to use yet.
    Just buy this app and you will have webOS card multitasking on your android

app is called itching thumb
    And here is your new wave bar

@Vyruz Reaper neither of those apps work well on my epic 4g. i had to take itching thumb off because it ran so poorly. i still use wave launcher despite it being sluggish at times. its pretty neat because you can use it to access your recent apps.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I agree with your assessment of itching thumb. I have tried it several times on my epic wanting it to work well but it doesn't even come close to the actual webos experience.
    I looked to post in the android forum first, but saw that i needed to make a new account. At least i think i did? anyway thanks for the info. Yea it doesn't seem like i can deal with that kind of multitasking after already experiencing webos.

One more question though. How do you close apps in android? is there a way you can close them from the app switcher screen?
    well most of the time i don't bother with actually closing apps. I just return to the home screen and go about my business until i forget i ever had the app open. with the poor memory issues that seem to afflict the apps i use, the app is usually closed as soon as i open 1-2 more.

When you bring up your recent apps by holding the home button, an option to open the task manager comes up. here you can force close background processes, just like on your PC.

note: i just learned by fooling around with the task manager that opening angry birds or firefox browser pretty much force closes anything else you had open, which explains why i lose progress sometimes.

mileage may vary with different phones and applications though...

-Skippy
    there are PLENTY of android users here. more specifically android users who are familiar with both platforms. a great resource.
    This long press crap needs to be phased out of UI navigation. The only thing it's really good for is moving icons around...
    Agreed. The long-press breaks my flow in the worst way.
    It's not a dumb question at all. And I think that it is great that you are asking it in the Other Handhelds forum. Here you will get a answers from the perspective of a webOS user.

With Android you just open the app again as you normally would and it is right where you left off.

Android apps are left open as long as it can hold them open. For instance the first time you open Google Maps might take 2 or 3 seconds. From then on, until you reset, Maps is held open taking less than a second to open.

I have never had an email close that I was working on or anything else close in the middle of something.

I have heard these stories and asked the scenario so that I could try to replicate them but have never been able to replicate them.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 05/24/2011 at 01:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    It's not a dumb question at all. And I think that it is great that you are asking it in the Other Handhelds forum. Here you will get a answers fromt he perspective of a webOS user.

With Android you just open the app again as you normally would and it is right where you left off.

Android apps are left open as long as it can hold them open. For instance the first time you open Google Maps might take 2 or 3 seconds. From then on, until you reset, Maps is held open taking less than a second to open.

I have never had an email close that I was working on or anything else close in the middle of something.

I have heard these stories and asked the scenario so that I could try to replicate them but have never been able to replicate them.
    what you are speakin of is not multitasking, its saved states. some apps particularly stock apps utilize this feature. However it is not an example of Android managing multiple processess running at once. instead its upto the developers to tell android what to do once a process is restarted. from my experience many 3rd party apps do not use it, and no 3d games use it. once those processes are closed by Android, they are restarted from scratch the next time you use them.

saved states are more than adequate for simple tasks like email, but not practicle for more intensive applications.
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 05/24/2011 at 10:26 AM.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast