Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mozzarella72 View Post
    So one of my favorite features on my pre is that i can go to website, quickly swipe out of it, then check my facebook or something while the website is loading. THen i can go back to the browser card and the page will be fully loaded.

Can i not do this on android since it uses saved state technology instead of multitasking? or did they incorporate true multitasking into the browser app?
    Everyone I know with an Android phone does this and a lot more all day long and never loses their place. You might:

• Listen to music while you...
    • Start an email but need to cut and paste something from a website
    • Open another browser card and another and another
    • Keep getting texts and reponding to them
    • Get a Calendar notification and snooze it
    • Go back through the browser cards and copy what you need into the email
    • Use Google Maps to navigate
    • Get more texts, look at photos they sent and the YouTube link
    • Do a hundred other things while you keep working on the email
    • Finally go back and finish your email

It's just another hour in your life. People just expect their phones will be able to do that. The only thing their phones will never do is ring.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 05/25/2011 at 10:28 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    This boggled my mind with my Evo as well. I used to think, last summer, "Why does my top-of-the-line superphone with specs out the wazoo feel as laggy as (or more laggy than) my year-old Pre-?"

A year later, same question.
    I just bought the GSM version, HTC Desire HD/Inspire in the US. Your answer: too much crap keeps starting up in the background, lol! System Panel(not the task manager) says stuff I never opened keeps running on reserve. I had to shut down about 10 apps last night. I wonder what started up today that I never asked for. I had a similar problem on the Intercept but not this many apps opened, maybe due to lack of memory on that phone. Or maybe it's HTC specific. I see they have some Sense specific apps.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I just bought the GSM version, HTC Desire HD/Inspire in the US. Your answer: too much crap keeps starting up in the background, lol! System Panel(not the task manager) says stuff I never opened keeps running on reserve. I had to shut down about 10 apps last night. I wonder what started up today that I never asked for. I had a similar problem on the Intercept but not this many apps opened, maybe due to lack of memory on that phone. Or maybe it's HTC specific. I see they have some Sense specific apps.
    You know, I think you're 100% right. Every time I open my Evo's task manager (even after a fresh boot), I see apps running that I never opened, and have no reason to be running in the background.

+1 on the Sense thing too. I think I would have liked my Evo so much more if it had shipped with stock Android. Sense just bogs everything down, without much added functionality in return aside from widgets (which, like everything else, are laggy and inconsistent). Plus, I can't stand the Sense keyboard. Every time I tried a different KB, though, it would force close at least twice a day.

Really, the only Android phones that remain appealing to me are those running stock. Skins are for the birds, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Everyone I know with an Android phone does this and a lot more all day long and never loses their place. You might:

Listen to music while you...
    Start an email but need to cut and paste something from a website
    Open another browser card and another and another
    Keep getting texts and reponding to them
    Get a Calendar notification and snooze it
    Go back through the browser cards and copy what you need into the email
    Use Google Maps to navigate
    Get more texts, look at photos they sent and the YouTube link
    Do a hundred other things while you keep working on the email
    Finally go back and finish your email

It's just another hour in your life. People just expect their phones will be able to do that. The only thing their phones will never do is ring.
    notice you listed a bunch of stock applications. dumbphones can pretty much do all of what you described, as saved state is nothing new. as far as multitasking goes, Android is adequate when it comes to these simple tasks, but adventure beyond that, and the experience is pretty pitiful. perhaps i'm in the minority, as a smartphone user who expects my phone expensive phone to be able to handle a little more than the messaging phones.

PS the youtube app will have lost your place in the midst of all that, as it has just happed to me.

sent from my samsung epic 4g
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 05/25/2011 at 02:08 PM.
    You know, I think you're 100% right. Every time I open my Evo's task manager (even after a fresh boot), I see apps running that I never opened, and have no reason to be running in the background.

+1 on the Sense thing too. I think I would have liked my Evo so much more if it had shipped with stock Android. Sense just bogs everything down, without much added functionality in return aside from widgets (which, like everything else, are laggy and inconsistent). Plus, I can't stand the Sense keyboard. Every time I tried a different KB, though, it would force close at least twice a day.

Really, the only Android phones that remain appealing to me are those running stock. Skins are for the birds, IMO.
    What exactly does Sense bog down? I've run a stock build on my Evo and it was no faster or slower than stock. In fact, i'm not currently using a Sense based Rom because i liked sense more than stock.

What keyboards are you trying? Never had force closes with my keyboard...i'm using the gingerbread keyboard right now.

Sense does add things if you use them...the People's app is 10x better than just about every other phone outside of Windows Phone 7 if you use twitter and facebook. Additionally, the HTC facebook implementation in many ways outpaced the official facebook app.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    fair enough, but can't help but wonder why my epic 4g with 512MB ram wimps out with a game and browser open while my pre- with 256MB of RAM can run more intensive processes without failing..
    True, but on my Sprint Palm pre it would get low memory errors constantly (which i will attribute to memory leaks).

But even then my usage has always been within 4 apps around the same time...so i've never had issues with android based multi-tasking...though I do wish the youtube app let you back out without restarting the video. But then again, the youtube app is literally night and day vs. the webos youtube app even with that flaw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    What exactly does Sense bog down? I've run a stock build on my Evo and it was no faster or slower than stock. In fact, i'm not currently using a Sense based Rom because i liked sense more than stock.
    You're right; I should be more specific. I'm just referring to the feel and responsiveness of my Evo (running Sense) compared to several Nexus S devices I've handled (some friends, some demos) and a friend's Evo running a Cyanogen Gingerbread build - both of the latter examples positively flew compared with my Evo. Similar app loads on both.

What keyboards are you trying? Never had force closes with my keyboard...i'm using the gingerbread keyboard right now.
    BetterKeyboard is what I was trying to use for a while. Come to think of it, the force-closes may have been happening due to ADWLauncher or LauncherPro (which I was using to try to get away from Sense). They were better, but the device still lagged badly.

In particular, about 60% of the time, the device was lagging so badly that it couldn't keep up with my typing, and I was getting a lot of punctuation in the middle of words, where the system was interpreting taps as long-presses.

Sense does add things if you use them...the People's app is 10x better than just about every other phone outside of Windows Phone 7 if you use twitter and facebook. Additionally, the HTC facebook implementation in many ways outpaced the official facebook app.
    Different strokes. I used the People hub and the Sense-based Twitter and Facebook widgets for about two weeks, but I couldn't stand them. I think this boils down to personal preference, as I can't site concrete examples of inferiority.
    True, but on my Sprint Palm pre it would get low memory errors constantly (which i will attribute to memory leaks).

But even then my usage has always been within 4 apps around the same time...so i've never had issues with android based multi-tasking...though I do wish the youtube app let you back out without restarting the video. But then again, the youtube app is literally night and day vs. the webos youtube app even with that flaw.
    well, i just had a big old response typed up. i switched apps a few times to check the validity of it, came back to the browser and my big message is gone .
    basically in the midst of testing the youtube app, typing a reply here, downloading and listening to the lastest palm cast, making a few calls, and answering a few texts. i lost my place in the youtube video,lost my place in the palmcast (after having the soundplayer app removed from my recent apps list altogether) and lost my reply....

i'm sorry, that is NOT multitasking as it should be. i would much rather have my phone tell me i'm biting off more than i can chew (TMC error) than take everything from me. Seems like the only thin Android does in the background is close apps before i'm done with them.

well, i just had a big old response typed up. i switched apps a few times to check the validity of it, came back to the browser and my big message is gone .
    basically in the midst of testing the youtube app, typing a reply here, downloading and listening to the lastest palm cast, making a few calls, and answering a few texts. i lost my place in the youtube video,lost my place in the palmcast (after having the soundplayer app removed from my recent apps list altogether) and lost my reply....

i'm sorry, that is NOT multitasking as it should be. i would much rather have my phone tell me i'm biting off more than i can chew (TMC error) than have it take everything from me. Seems like the only thing Android does in the background is close apps before i'm done with them.
    Are you on CDMA? Did the data get shut off while on the call? Maybe it clears out everything, if so. Just speculation.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    What browser are you using? My form boxes don't get erased when i leave the browser.

But again, honestly there are probably people that use multi-tasking a bit more indepth so i could see some of these issues annoying. But my multitasking comes in the form of my emails/SMS/Browser/Music/Twitter/facebook 90% of the time.

Other than that i'm usually just in one app and one app only.
    Are you on CDMA? Did the data get shut off while on the call? Maybe it clears out everything, if so. Just speculation.
    Common misconception is that CDMA does not permit data and voice. It does. EVDO doesn't but SVDO does. SVDO is rolled out but not widely deployed on the phones yet.

UPDATE: Granted on all Pre's currently in circulation (Pre, Pre Plus, Pre2) there is no SVDO support that I am aware of. My understanding is that this is a hardware limitation of the chips used and only newer phones with SVDO chips can leverage this.
    yeah, i'm using sprint. I don't think this is the problem though because my Podcast was completely downloaded as was the webpage. This could explain the youtube issue, but why couldn't it just pickup where i left off?

What browser are you using? My form boxes don't get erased when i leave the browser.

But again, honestly there are probably people that use multi-tasking a bit more indepth so i could see some of these issues annoying. But my multitasking comes in the form of my emails/SMS/Browser/Music/Twitter/facebook 90% of the time.

Other than that i'm usually just in one app and one app only.
    I use firefox mostly, and i admit, the stock browser doesn't have this issue, i just hate the UI. And to clarify, the form boxes don't get erased when i leave the firefox browser, UNLESS Android decides to kill the process while i'm away from it. So, i never really know what to expect when i switch back .

As i said earlier, when i limit myself to stock apps i dont have any problems really, but for that, i feel like i might as well get a dumbphone.
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 05/25/2011 at 05:04 PM.

256 not 512 - maybe not necessary to have memory leaks. There are an awful lot of things left in ram all the time by webOS for core function (Phone, email, etc.) with not a lot left for apps on the original Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    ...I use firefox mostly, and i admit, the stock browser doesn't have this issue...
    Yes, Firefox has issues and it does appear that the developer is not intersted in fixing them.

What is the game and the apps that you are having problems with?

I am also wondering what else you are using that is making you laggy. I looked through your phone's forums and see that everyone is having a good experience like my son does. There are specific apps that do not do well really on any phone.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 05/25/2011 at 08:12 PM.
    Yes, Firefox has issues and it does appear that the developer is intersted in fixing them.

What is the game and the apps that you are having problems with?

I am also wondering what else you are using that is making you laggy. I looked through your phone's forums and see that everyone is having a good experience like my son does. There are specific apps that do not do well really on any phone.
    angry birds, hex defense and chalk ball are the games i'm playing now. I do have good experiences with this phone, but I am often disappointed by it. Probably because i heard so many good things about android before i got i and my expectations were too high. Had this been the first phone i got after i my samsung instinct, i'd probably be madly in love with it.
    This boggled my mind with my Evo as well. I used to think, last summer, "Why does my top-of-the-line superphone with specs out the wazoo feel as laggy as (or more laggy than) my year-old Pre-?"...
    I have been trying to research your EVO problem and mhunters problems on his Epic with lagginess.

I have a Pre and an EVO. My son has an Epic. Even after all this time the Epic is so much faster than the Pre (even at 1 GHz) it is hard to compare. The EVO is almost as fast as the Epic. The EVO has 151 apps on it. The Epic has 122 apps. Both are stock.

Google Maps and Facebook open so fast on the Epic and EVO you can't time them but with the Pre you feel like you can go get a cup of coffee. I went back through testing everything I could think of and the Epic and EVO are significantly faster than the 1Ghz Pre at everything.

Last fall dozens of webOS, CrackBerry, TiPb, and AndroidCentral users did a series of speed tests and got the same results over and over.

I have been on Epic and EVO forums trying to find anyone else with your problems. And there are. The solutions are the same as what we do to help people here.

We have all helped countless Pre users who said their Pre's were ridiculously slow. Invariably there was a rogue process or app that was stealing CPU cycles. In a lot of cases we just have them remove things until we find the culprit. In some cases we have had them do a factory reset and then carefully start adding apps back in until we found it.

Maybe post your problem in those forums at AndroidCentral so that others can help debug. I think that both of you are at the point of a full factory reset back to stock and then slowly adding apps. It will take an evening but you will find your problems.
    I have been trying to research your EVO problem and mhunters problems on his Epic with lagginess.

I have a Pre and an EVO. My son has an Epic. Even after all this time the Epic is so much faster than the Pre (even at 1 GHz) it is hard to compare. The EVO is almost as fast as the Epic. The EVO has 151 apps on it. The Epic has 122 apps. Both are stock.

Google Maps and Facebook open so fast on the Epic and EVO you can't time them but with the Pre you feel like you can go get a cup of coffee. I went back through testing everything I could think of and the Epic and EVO are significantly faster than the 1Ghz Pre at everything.

Last fall dozens of webOS, CrackBerry, TiPb, and AndroidCentral users did a series of speed tests and got the same results over and over.

I have been on Epic and EVO forums trying to find anyone else with your problems. And there are. The solutions are the same as what we do to help people here.

We have all helped countless Pre users who said their Pre's were ridiculously slow. Invariably there was a rogue process or app that was stealing CPU cycles. In a lot of cases we just have them remove things until we find the culprit. In some cases we have had them do a factory reset and then carefully start adding apps back in until we found it.

Maybe post your problem in those forums at AndroidCentral so that others can help debug. I think that both of you are at the point of a full factory reset back to stock and then slowly adding apps. It will take an evening but you will find your problems.
    Thanks for the detailed reply.

I've been there and back with the Evo - have done a wipe and a restore to stock twice (one time due to a hardware swap HTC did for me because my first Evo constantly rebooted for no reason, even after a wipe and restore).

I agree with you on application launch speed being superior on the Evo and most Android sets in general. I'm talking specifically about lag in the mundane elements of the UI (swiping between homescreens is inconsistent - rarely is it buttery-smooth; most of the time it's Jumpy McTakesHisTime), and the very annoying keyboard lag that leads to mis-types entirely due to the system literally not being able to keep up with my keystrokes. And I'm not much faster than average.

And then there are the force-closes.

I don't mean to be saying Android is inherently worse than webOS; it's just that the 'grass is always greener' impulse has led a lot of folks to believe that all these dazzling spec sheets on the Android jumbophones always translate to amazing performance. And when some of us make the jump to Android, our expectations are unreasonably heightened, and instead of finding a superstar, we find an OS with a user experience that really isn't much improved from webOS. In a lot of ways, in fact, it's worse ... and when we find our way back to webOS, the relief is palpable.

YMMV - I've taken this thread too far astray already.
    For the keyboard, use SwiftKey, trust me. Others swear by Swype. The stock keyboard is OK, but personal word prediction is so much faster and better.

I don't have the screen transition problem, but I did read HTC threw in more RAM on the GSM version. But I didn't need to install Launcher Pro this time around and to tell you the truth, that program may be a hindrance on this particular type of phone. Because the Sense stuff runs continuously in the background it seems. So you have 2 homescreen programs running.

I still love LP though, just think it's unnecessary on the Evo/Desire HD.

I appreciate the help, but I've been there. I don't have these problems all the time, but when they do arrive, its pretty frustrating. its the force closes that really get me. Just the other day, i was coming from a fresh reboot, when i got a gtalk message, couldn't open it though because "google framework has closed unexpectedly" (or something like that). I then started getting the same message for my phone app and messaging app, so i had to reboot again. uggghh!

and i guess my true frustration stems from the fact that my expectations were too high. i would complain about my Pre, and people would say, "ditch it go android, look at how fast my evo is." And I bit. But in reality, over the course of the day, i'd say i spend more time waiting on my android phone than I did on my Pre thanks due to the mulitasking (whether it be the home-screen loading, the applications list loading, or reloading an app that closed before i expected it to). And the unresponsiveness i've run into immediately after getting this phone i didn't see on my pre until about a 10 months later.

...but google maps is awesome on here!
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 05/30/2011 at 08:36 AM.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast