Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Picked up an Samsung Infuse for my girlfriend this weekend. In the process I visited three AT&T stores. (Two were packed) Anyhow, I spoke with a few store managers about the Veer and they all said the same... "we haven't sold a single one" (These were high volume Southern CA. locations)

Why is HP/Palm taking this direction? I agree that the phone is just too darned small. We actually went the complete opposite direction and bought the Infuse, huge 4.5" screen. That phone doesn't really feel that big in your hand, and it's so light and thin. Granted, it's not for me, she will keep it in her purse anyhow.

Does HP really think this phone will get any traction?
    Quote Originally Posted by genearch View Post
    Does HP really think this phone will get any traction?
    Yes
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    Yes
    Seriously?

It seems to be the best kept secret.

I'd bet that the iPhone 3GS is outselling it 10-1 right now. OS may be neat, but too small is a huge issue.
    They haven't sold a single one because no one knows about it yet. Once HP's marketing efforts kick into high gear (the trickles have already started on the NYT back page and the subway wraps in NYC) and stores start receiving more stock, the phone will sell.

Will it be a blockbuster? No. But it will definitely fill a niche and may help to capture some of the dumbphone upgraders.

I also saw the Infuse (when I went to buy my Veer) and couldn't agree with you less - I think the thing's a hilarious abomination. Just because you and I happen to disagree doesn't mean either of the devices we're enthused about will "flop." It means they're targeted differently.
    It's not to small for some. Choice is good.

Was the Moto-RAZR was too thin?
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    It's not to small for some. Choice is good.

Was the Moto-RAZR was too thin?
    Fair play, different strokes indeed.
    Were it on Sprint, I'd consider it.

My primary phone is a Blackberry. The screen size is about the same. I do not play games on my phone. Nor do I do a LOT of web surfing.

I'd be very serious about it. Small is an asset in my case.
    Seriously?

I'd bet that the iPhone 3GS is outselling it 10-1 right now. OS may be neat, but too small is a huge issue.
    I don't work in marketing so I can't state reasons any decision is made. I can go from my personal thoughts and experiences in life.

You don't always have to be the first out the gate to win the race. First day, week, month sales don't always indicate how well a product or platform will do. Many devices have had spectacular and at the time record setting sales within the first 24 or 48 hours yet these products didn't all due tremendous in the end.

Slow in steady wins the race, the turtle did beat the hare when it was all said and done.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Seriously?

HP really did a soft launch. Until they start to market the phone, people won't know about it. If in a month no one is buying one, then you have a point.
    Yes
    That's all that needs to be said.
    Does a "tiny" phone really make sense?
    It makes as much sense as a "giant" phone.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    It makes as much sense as a "giant" phone.
    True.. but since HP is in the business of selling phones, will it sell?

I'd bet the Infuse (The largest current phone display) outsells it many times over.

The all mighty $ speaks to success or failure, let's see where this goes
    Just because HTC is putting out huge phones, doesn't mean that's what everyone wants. I think this will be niche you will see other manufactures go after also. Everyone used to only want to purchase huge cars too, but Toyota started offering smaller cars when manufacturers and enthusiasts said no one would want them. The rest is history.
    Anyhow, I spoke with a few store managers about the Veer and they all said the same... "we haven't sold a single one" (These were high volume Southern CA. locations)
    If they're like the AT&T stores in my area, it's probably because they've kept them in the back and don't have any displays set up at all.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Just because HTC is putting out huge phones, doesn't mean that's what everyone wants. I think this will be niche you will see other manufactures go after also. Everyone used to only want to purchase huge cars too, but Toyota started offering smaller cars when manufacturers and enthusiasts said no one would want them. The rest is history.
    True, the Infuse wasn't for me. My preference would be around 4" ,Though I have no complaints with my current Hi-Res display of the iPhone4
    Last edited by genearch; 05/24/2011 at 09:09 AM.
    HP really think this phone will get any traction?
    Yes
    That's all that needs to be said.
    I'll third that!
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    But does niche equate to success?
    I disagree. This phone is so small the screen hinders use. The pre is a small smartphone and the only complaints were that it was to small not big. People may be interested in it and go look at it but its not going to sell well at all. Its too small if you ask me.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    I disagree. This phone is so small the screen hinders use. The pre is a small smartphone and the only complaints were that it was to small not big. People may be interested in it and go look at it but its not going to sell well at all. Its too small if you ask me.
    The funny thing is that people have been buying them and then reporting in here how much they like them. Somebody needs to tell them they have been tricked!
    I checked it out last night. As cute as it is, and I love how well it fits into a pocket -- when its open, its very comfortable to hold and feels bigger. But at 40+ I just can't see the screen.

If I hold it away from my face to read it, it is too far away to read. If i bring it near, I can't read it without glasses, but I don't always have my reading glasses, unless I am reading.

If I wasn't using it as a smart phone, it wouldn't matter. But if I wasn't using it as a smartphone, I would want a feature phone. (and that plan that goes with it)
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast