Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    As I stated in some other posts, dumbphone users in general love their dumphones. They love animated hearts popping out screen when someone call them, they love animated emoticons and animated backgrounds, they love sound profiles. they love easy organizers, reliable alarm clock. They don't have to reset phones every second day to improve performance, are not used on TMC errors, not interested in hacking... Webos UI and features are not to attractive at first glance so it should be redone for Veer. Also, dumbphone users are buying phone regarding its price, design/size and features it has right out of box. They don't dig app store concept - "if you ned something, you can buy it from store" (which don't work too well for webos).
    HP should took far more serious approach to dumbphone users.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    As I stated in some other posts, dumbphone users in general love their dumphones. They love animated hearts popping out screen when someone call them, they love animated emoticons and animated backgrounds, they love sound profiles. they love easy organizers, reliable alarm clock. They don't have to reset phones every second day to improve performance, are not used on TMC errors, not interested in hacking... Webos UI and features are not to attractive at first glance so it should be redone for Veer. Also, dumbphone users are buying phone regarding its price, design/size and features it has right out of box. They don't dig app store concept - "if you ned something, you can buy it from store" (which don't work too well for webos).
    Couldnt have said it better myself. Everyone just assumes that everyone out there WANTS access to their email 24/7, web access, streaming music
    -unfortunately a good chunk of this is the older generation.....i say unfortunately because much of the younger generation is already obsessed with Apple products. My little 5 year old cousin told me the other day that my phone sucked because it wasnt an iphone.....really?! hes FIVE and already brainwashed by all the i-products...
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    Which dumbphone has animated hearts pop out? That I'd like to see.

Sony Ericsson had some dumbphones with animated themes and amazingly for 3rd party Flash themes, yes you did have to hack the phone. And there are apps for dumbphones, getjar.com(java based apps I believe)

Dumbphones are getting to be more like smartphones every day. Some now have built in apps, big screens, HTML browsers, plus getjar.com
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Which dumbphone has animated hearts pop out? That I'd like to see.

Sony Ericsson had some dumbphones with animated themes and amazingly for 3rd party Flash themes, yes you did have to hack the phone. And there are apps for dumbphones, getjar.com(java based apps I believe)

Dumbphones are getting to be more like smartphones every day. Some now have built in apps, big screens, HTML browsers, plus getjar.com
    Which is why I loved Sony Ericsson dumbphones. This is a video I made 2 years ago displaying those. (Don't mind the camera work, I was using my Playstation eye and I was trying to focus.)

Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Hmmm, how often do you hear about iphone user that they can't pocket their phone, bending, running, sitting? I have my iPhone in my front pants pocket, and i have no issue what so ever. People do complaint about alot of smartphone, but the size of the phone is the rarest complaint.
    None of my iphone4 friends carry it in their front pockets, especially with the bumper around it. I carry my palm pre- in my front pocket, but it is still noticeable there. Anyone can cram a large cell phone down their front pocket, but the question is whether or not its comfortable?
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    None of my iphone4 friends carry it in their front pockets, especially with the bumper around it. I carry my palm pre- in my front pocket, but it is still noticeable there. Anyone can cram a large cell phone down their front pocket, but the question is whether or not its comfortable?
    It all about how big your pockets are. If you're wearing those skinny jeans that you can see the face of a dollar bill through your back pants pocket then you probably have no room for much else.
    Not sure if the Veer has much of a chance in our local Best Buy. Finally got to check it out and located a small endcap display with a Veer dummy unit and a real unit just to its right. I call this a small display compared to the onslaught of Android phones/tablets/35" TV mock examples standing 2 or 3' away.

The Veer real unit was unplugged and dead, so I plugged the Magnetic charger back in and began the reload process. Best Buy needs someone in their departments making sure it charges successfully over night...since it is too easy to disconnect the Mag Charger on the display unit.

Id almost suggest gluing the charger on, but that would also defeat the purpose and convenience of the Mag Dock interface. Either way, for the Veer to be successful, it will need a display setup near the Touchpad units and provide easy touch to share presentations, show the Veer as the perfect combo for tablet users, and provide it a chance to succeed on its own merits.

Also, how can a Veer succeed when Best Buy places one of those Huge Security Cables and Dongles right on the front screen. The front dongle alone cover 1/3 of the display again defeating the purpose of it usefulness. The could have just as easily placed the dongle on the back, but as usual Best Buy does think about the considerations or maybe they have an agenda.

Also hard for Veer to succeed when their sales staff already see it as a fail. I spoke with a lady I've known since the Pre- release in 2009 and she asked "so what do you think of the new Veer?" and "I hope Palm has fixed the software issues." I also still say Palm and mentioned that the newer units like the Pre2 and webOS is much better and should had mentioned HP taking over at the Helm.

I also mentioned to her the hardware/slider getting a HUGE overhall and the Veer looking pretty Rock Solid (I really like the new slider!) I also mentioned wanting the Pre 3 and she shrugged her shoulders and said she'll believe it when she sees it.

Best Buy needs a prominent display for the Veer, Touchpad, and Pre 3 when it comes out and some good training on how things have changed with the Hardware and Software if for no other reason but to remove the sour taste in their sales staff mouths. Sorli...

Quote Originally Posted by genearch View Post
    Picked up an Samsung Infuse for my girlfriend this weekend. In the process I visited three AT&T stores. (Two were packed) Anyhow, I spoke with a few store managers about the Veer and they all said the same... "we haven't sold a single one" (These were high volume Southern CA. locations)

Why is HP/Palm taking this direction? I agree that the phone is just too darned small. We actually went the complete opposite direction and bought the Infuse, huge 4.5" screen. That phone doesn't really feel that big in your hand, and it's so light and thin. Granted, it's not for me, she will keep it in her purse anyhow.

Does HP really think this phone will get any traction?
    Last edited by sorli; 06/05/2011 at 07:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Not sure if the Veer has much of a chance in our local Best Buy. Finally got to check it out and located a small endcap display with a Veer dummy unit and a real unit just to its right. I call this a small display compared to the onslaught of Android phones/tablets/35" TV mock examples standing 2 or 3' away.

The Veer real unit was unplugged and dead, so I plugged the Magnetic charger back in and began the reload process. Best Buy needs someone in their departments making sure it charges successfully over night...since it is too easy to disconnect the Mag Charger on the display unit.

Id almost suggest gluing the charger on, but that would also defeat the purpose and convenience of the Mag Dock interface. Either way, for the Veer to be successful, it will need a display setup near the Touchpad units and provide easy touch to share presentations, show the Veer as the perfect combo for tablet users, and provide it a chance to succeed on its own merits.

Also, how can a Veer succeed when Best Buy places one of those Huge Security Cables and Dongles right on the front screen. The front dongle alone cover 1/3 of the display again defeating the purpose of it usefulness. The could have just as easily placed the dongle on the back, but as usual Best Buy does think about the considerations or maybe they have an agenda.

Also hard for Veer to succeed when their sales staff already see it as a fail. I spoke with a lady I've known since the Pre- release in 2009 and she asked "so what do you think of the new Veer?" and "I hope Palm has fixed the software issues." I also still say Palm and mentioned that the newer units like the Pre2 and webOS is much better and should had mentioned HP taking over at the Helm.

I also mentioned to her the hardware/slider getting a HUGE overhall and the Veer looking pretty Rock Solid (I really like the new slider!) I also mentioned wanting the Pre 3 and she shrugged her shoulders and said she'll believe it when she sees it.

Best Buy needs a prominent display for the Veer, Touchpad, and Pre 3 when it comes out and some good training on how things have changed with the Hardware and Software if for no other reason but to remove the sour taste in their sales staff mouths. Sorli...
    Man that's a lot of work and effort to get a phone sold. With so many other devices to be sold, if the Veer can't stand on it's own without all the babysitting, and the webos enthusiast constantly educating the sales staff, it's chances seem slim. The effort needs to come from HP.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Man that's a lot of work and effort to get a phone sold. With so many other devices to be sold, if the Veer can't stand on it's own without all the babysitting, and the webos enthusiast constantly educating the sales staff, it's chances seem slim. The effort needs to come from HP.
    Yes I agree completely...that's why I'm hopeful the recent news from Best Buy training, displays, and misc may come true. I guess we'll just have to wait and see and glad I can do my part.

What's interesting about my Best Buy exchange related to the software problems and comments. I asked her point blank "do Android user not have software problems?" Her reply was simple, she just smiled and said yes. No platform is perfect and we as humans only remember the bad times with most things. It should get interesting. Sorli...
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    I think they're on to something to be honest. I know if I had a 7-8" tablet I'd be using it like I use my Pre 2 and therefore would only want a small phone as a backup and to make calls. I'd be all over the Veer if it let me change the battery and was on Verizon.
    All I can say is that my personal real world experience with owning a tablet and a smartphone shows me I need a big screen on my smartphone.
    My tablet is not always with me. If I stop at BB/Radio Shack/Game Stop on my lunch and need to look up product info, game rating info etc, I want a larger screen device to do this on.
    This is just one example of why a small screen size won't cut it for me, the tablet is not always going to be with you. People need to think of how much is the tablet actually going to be on your person.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    All I can say is that my personal real world experience with owning a tablet and a smartphone shows me I need a big screen on my smartphone.
    My tablet is not always with me. If I stop at BB/Radio Shack/Game Stop on my lunch and need to look up product info, game rating info etc, I want a larger screen device to do this on.
    This is just one example of why a small screen size won't cut it for me, the tablet is not always going to be with you. People need to think of how much is the tablet actually going to be on your person.

True...so true...how often will we have our tablets with us especially when there 10" and weigh 1.5 lbs. I love the Veer size, but want to switch back to a larger screen if and when I need a larger phone. I guess that is the advantage of ATT, swap the SIM out, switch phones, and continue mobiling along. Or can you not do that anymore? Sorli...
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234