Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Me: 'Why are you carrying two tablets?.'

Him: 'I'm not, one of them is my phone?'

Me:
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    If I wasn't using it as a smart phone, it wouldn't matter. But if I wasn't using it as a smartphone, I would want a feature phone. (and that plan that goes with it)
    Feature phones and smartphones share the same plan options.

Do you mean a dumbphone or flip phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    So, what's the real benefit of a smaller smartphone like the Veer? More space in your pocket or purse? Eliminating the bulge in your pants? Beyond cuteness, what is the advantage of a smaller phone?
    Being able to carry it in your front pants pocket without needing a jacket, belt clip, and feeling comfortable moving around, bending, running, sitting, without it jabbing into your hip.
    Size. Not everyone wants to have to use a tablet phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Being able to carry it in your front pants pocket without needing a jacket, belt clip, and feeling comfortable moving around, bending, running, sitting, without it jabbing into your hip.
    Hmmm, how often do you hear about iphone user that they can't pocket their phone, bending, running, sitting? I have my iPhone in my front pants pocket, and i have no issue what so ever. People do complaint about alot of smartphone, but the size of the phone is the rarest complaint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Size. Not everyone wants to have to use a tablet phone.
    I agreed for 4.5 inch phone. But iPhone size? Nobody out there is calling iPhone is too big. How about Pre Plus? did you guys ever think it's too big to carry it around? Why do they need smaller than Pre Plus size smartphone?
    Will Tablets continue to become a larger part of the office meeting? How about Real Estate Agents; showing a property, or back at the desk arranging her notes?
    How about so many professionals who will incorporate the Tablet for their day to day activities?

HP has said it; The Veer will be the companion to the Tablet.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    I agreed for 4.5 inch phone. But iPhone size? Nobody out there is calling iPhone is too big. How about Pre Plus? did you guys ever think it's too big to carry it around? Why do they need smaller than Pre Plus size smartphone?
    You need to remember that their primary target at the moment isn't really people that already have smartphones, it's people that still use dumbphones and feature phones. Feature phones especially since it's an easy move up and still can use the same plan without difficulty.

That being said I'm sure there are a couple people that also have larger phones that would prefer a smaller smartphone. Especially if they have or plan to get a tablet, which makes an extremely large phone a bit redundant.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    It's not to small for some. Choice is good.

Was the Moto-RAZR was too thin?
    Did the RAZR's thinnest hinder its usefulness?

The RAZR being thin did not effect the keypad being smaller than normal or the screen size being smaller than normal, not having to carry around adapters.

Not to mention the RAZR was a successful device!!
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    I think that it is a smart "counterprogramming" decision --- like how ABC was showing new episodes of Desperate Housewives and Fox was showing new episodes of American Idol against NBC's olympic coverage.
    Actually the size of smartphones put me off for many years. I was unwilling to consider a smartphone until I found the Pre. The Pre was just small enough to entice me. The Veer - had it been available on VZW back then would have gotten my attention - particularly at a low price point.
    Ok, new approach. Can we agree that there are (at least) 2 markets for smartphones.....one for larger smartphones and one for smaller smartphones?

NOW answer this, which market would you say is bigger? The one for larger smartphones, or the one for smaller smartphones?
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    Did the RAZR's thinnest hinder its usefulness?
    Yes. People had never held such a thin, wide device before. For some, it was uncomfortable compared to more robust, earlier phones. It was also nearly impossible to hold in the crook of one's shoulder.

The RAZR being thin did not effect the keypad being smaller than normal or the screen size being smaller than normal, not having to carry around adapters.
    The keypad was a metal membrane that had poor tactile response. It was also effectively impossible to feel out the keys when driving, due to the stylized design.

The external screen was the size of a postage stamp and effectively useless for people with poor eyesight.

Users did need to carry an adapter or a special set of headphones with the RAZR, as there was no built-in headphone jack.

Yet, in spite of all of this ...

the RAZR was a successful device!!

Any more comparisons you'd like to make?
    this is like talking religion or politics. everyone has their wants and beliefs. they are spending all their time trying to convince others that their wants and likes are the best.

and then you have the haters that come in here to just talk ca ca.

the droid masses will come here a talk trash, the iPhone zombies will show they are haters.

they are the same that talk ca ca on AOL.

well they do provide some entertainment, dinner and a show here on Pre Central
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Let's revisit this thread in 6 months... time will tell.

No excuses... HP needs to market this device, no blaming the carriers.

Prediction: Veer will be a huge failure
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    Yes. People had never held such a thin, wide device before. For some, it was uncomfortable compared to more robust, earlier phones. It was also nearly impossible to hold in the crook of one's shoulder.
    Anecdotal evidence is just that....
    And you think a phone as tiny as the veer will work great when trying to hold it the crook of your shoulder?

The keypad was a metal membrane that had poor tactile response. It was also effectively impossible to feel out the keys when driving, due to the stylized design.
    Regardless of material it was made from and how you felt about the pad, it was of normal size if not bigger than a normal keypad.

The external screen was the size of a postage stamp and effectively useless for people with poor eyesight.
    Nice try except most phones with front screens at that time had postage size front screens.

Users did need to carry an adapter or a special set of headphones with the RAZR, as there was no built-in headphone jack.
    You got me there but as you mention you could purchase headsets with the jack built in alleviating the need to carry around an adapter.

And all in all the RAZR was sold for what 7-8 years with hardware rev's along the way. I got money says the veer never makes it past 2 years then its canned.
    Quote Originally Posted by cnote1287 View Post
    Ok, new approach. Can we agree that there are (at least) 2 markets for smartphones.....one for larger smartphones and one for smaller smartphones?

NOW answer this, which market would you say is bigger? The one for larger smartphones, or the one for smaller smartphones?
    You know what's ironic is that for years and years, phone makers were striving to make smaller phones and smaller meant better/newer/cooler. back in 1998, Nokia made phones the size of Evo/Infuse. It was big but that's all we had and technology to make it smaller wasn't there. Then in 1999, 6110 (and variants) arrived. It was much smaller. Whoa, how popular that was. In 2003, I remember a friend getting a tiny tiny slider 0-9 Panasonic phone on Tmobile. It must've been Veer-size or even smaller. Ok, granted, some of us made fun of him b/c the phone seemed so girly but you couldn't deny the coolness of a phone being that small.

Fast forward some years and now small is out, and (ridiculously) big in in.
    I have never read any review of the iPhone that said it was too big.

The rumor is that the iPhone 5 will have an nearly edge-to-edge display. Eventually that would allow Apple to increase the iPhone display to 5" while keeping the iPhone 4 form factor. Yes, 5". (SQRT(4.5^2+2.31^2) Comparison. More realistically, the iPhone 5 would use the new LG 4" edge-to-edge display. A 5" display in the same iPhone 4 form factor is still 18 months away.

Samsung and LG are already sampling 4.3" edge-to-edge LED displays too. That is why they are saying the Samsung Galaxy S 3 this Christmas will be 4.3" but may be nearly as small as the iPhone 4. Samsung is also sampling a 4.5" edge-to edge SAMOLED Plus display. Expect to see those phones all over CES next January. They don't need backlights so they can be thinner and need less power.

The push was to smaller feature phones and bigger smartphones.

Now we are seeing thinner phones and smaller bezels. Display sizes will keep increasing but phones will not need to be any bigger. In fact they will be smaller.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 05/25/2011 at 01:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    You know what's ironic is that for years and years, phone makers were striving to make smaller phones and smaller meant better/newer/cooler...
    That is exactly it!

When it was a phone, it just needed to be big enough for 12 number keys and a Caller ID display. It could be really tiny.

But our expectations have changed.

If you take group of kids on bus trips, four years ago most would have had feature phones for texting and listening to music. Now almost all have smartphones with bigger displays that make Facebook and browsing easier.

The big change I see this year is how many instead of listening to music are watching HD. Instead of sharing ear-buds to share each others music, they are sharing YouTube and movies.

So what is the right size for a phone? Tiny.

What is the right size for watching HD movies? Bigger.

And what is the one thing you will never hear on that bus today?

A phone ring.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 05/25/2011 at 12:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cnote1287 View Post

Yes, there are at least five smartphone markets:

XS <3"
    S 3"
    M 3.5"
    L 4"
    XL 4.3-4.5"+

It's like shoes. Pick what feels right to you. That's why each ecosystem needs options in each size.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 05/25/2011 at 01:44 PM.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast