1.    #1  
    I'm sprint gold, have been eligible for an upgrade since March but still holding on to my Pre-...

So I guess I'm late to the news but I just recently came across an app on Android called Itching Thumb. It's been posted and discussed here before. So I'm really liking what I see. It's a blatant ripoff of webOS but that's what's so great about it. Reviews however indicate that it's pretty buggy still and it's not functioning 100% in all devices.

Anyway, this has made me think. I wasn't going to switch carriers (my plan is pretty decent) so I really didn't have a plan in the event Sprint doesn't get Pre 3. Now i'm pondering... maybe putting Itching Thumb (assuming it'll get better) on a good device like Nexus S will be an acceptable experience for me? I recently bought a Galaxy Tab and so far I hate Android....

Anyone else thought about this?

Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    If task switching is the only real reason you like webOS over Android, then maybe that will do it for you. Personally, I hate other aspects of Android more, and adding in Itching Thumb wouldn't improve the experience significantly for me.

That being said, I am considering moving to an Evo 3D or Nexus S because of the individual app experiences (vs. the overall OS experience). We'll see if HP can sway me now to stay, or later to come back, with apps availability for webOS.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I have tried itching thumb a couple different times on my epic but it didn't last long either time. The concept is cool but it's no where near as polished as the cards in webos. It might work for you though. I will just continue to wait patiently for updated webos hardware on sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boregardo View Post
    I have tried itching thumb a couple different times on my epic but it didn't last long either time. The concept is cool but it's no where near as polished as the cards in webos. It might work for you though. I will just continue to wait patiently for updated webos hardware on sprint.
    I lost my "a" "s" and orange button functionality today. Waiting patiently has suddenly become more difficult. After that video I may go play with a Nexus S and see how I like it generally. I would effectively get 30 days for $35, which is roughly the same price as a decent condition used Pre on Ebay, and hopefully within a month there will be a release date set for the Pre3.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by howemi01 View Post
    I lost my "a" "s" and orange button functionality today. Waiting patiently has suddenly become more difficult. After that video I may go play with a Nexus S and see how I like it generally. I would effectively get 30 days for $35, which is roughly the same price as a decent condition used Pre on Ebay, and hopefully within a month there will be a release date set for the Pre3.
    Time to use the virtual keyboard patch! I've used it before when the keyboard gave out.
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    Time to use the virtual keyboard patch! I've used it before when the keyboard gave out.
    Cheers..that just might get me through. It's a testament to the awesomeness of webOS, I guess, the lengths people will go to stick with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    ...maybe putting Itching Thumb (assuming it'll get better) on a good device like Nexus S will be an acceptable experience for me? I recently bought a Galaxy Tab and so far I hate Android...
    If you miss cards, try Visual Task Switcher or Itching Thumb. The launchers such as Launcher Pro do the same thing and are more fluid though. But it does not take long before most people no longer use these.

The reality is that they are different approaches and each has it's fans. With webOS you keep cards open and stack them. Similarly with iPhone you double tap Home to go through your app cards.

With Android, you tap an app and it opens where you left off. If you want a reminder of what you have opened recently, long-press the Home key to see the last 8 apps. It feels weird at first to not keep cards opened and arranged. It is like going from a manual transmission to an automatic.

To help find everything in your Android Tablet, check out the Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android.

As to phones, check out the Phone Comparison. The Samsung Nexus S 4G is good phone and has Near Field Communication. The HTC EVO 3D is due in June for $200. Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Attain is coming next. The EVO 3D and S II have twice the RAM of the Nexus S, better displays, microSD, HDMI, DLNA, HD Record, and dual cores.

In the end, phones are like shoes. Get what feels right to you.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 05/23/2011 at 03:37 PM.
    You get used to Android after a few weeks.

Itching Thumb has never worked for me well. I just have my apps I use most and weather on two pages (launcher pro).

I just click home and hit app. It's as fast as cards and much faster than going to the app menu or even just type.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    my pre's touchscreen has become unreliable, so i decided to use an evo shift until they announce the pre3. so far, I HATE IT! i tried Visual Task Switcher, but it's just not the same as my beloved webos cards. i can't open the kb with one hand. it's slow to open even with two hands. kb is too wide to type with one hand. email notifications don't give me enough info - email for which acct? who's it from? what's the subject? ***? </vent>
    My journey: PalmPilotPro->PalmPilotIIIx->Treo300->Treo600->Treo650->Treo755p->Pre->FrankenPre2
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    imma wait till sept. i think sprint may pick up the unannounced slab device. im really dreading moving to android but i may not have a choice =\
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    My girlfriend just bailed for an Inspire (AT&T version of desire). She seems real happy, though there is a lot of getting used to (she kept trying to delete messages by swiping to the right, e.g.). Being free w/ contract was nice.

The hardware of the phone is evident, better that what I've been using. But I'm gonna hold out to see where the pre3 lands.
    Some where someone will have a Pre 3 and that's where I will be, Android is just not for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boregardo View Post
    i have the same issue on my epic. Also, you run into the same task switching issues present in Android. Basically, if the application you're trying to switch to is closed by Android prior to you getting back to it, then it MAY not be in the same state you left it in when you return.