Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So much for "open"...

http://m.engadget.com/default/articl...sic&postPage=1

I guess the days of "don't be evil" are behind us.

Side note: it bothers me they're still referring to Android as THE open platform. They're not even making honeycomb open source for crying out loud (they plan to do so "in the coming months").

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    i don't know that this issue is really one of "openness" but i find it funny that in their attempt to stop piracy, they end up encouraging it... if someone has a hard time obtaining legal copies of content, their just gonna get it illegally...
    They have to if they want to keep the right to stream the movies. I bet google doesn't want to.

Android will still be open sourced, just honeycomb isn't yet.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    I'm sorry but I have to agree that I don't like this. The article points out that jailbroken iPhones will still play iTunes and Netflix content.

In the AC article, someone said Netflix runs fine on rooted phones too.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    It just means that Apple's security model is useless --- nothing more, nothing less.
    I don't know if I agree with that. Apple blocked iBooks once on jailbroken phones. That means they could crack down if they wanted to(or were ordered by the MPAA to). But they could certainly block their own hosted content if not Netflix.

Then explain why Netflix runs on rooted phones. No one apparently told them to block it, even though it was meant for a few phones. I'd easily believe the MPAA had something to do with this but Netflix is allowed to run. Also anyone can likely sideload a copying app or whatever Google fears on a non-rooted phone if they wanted to.

Maybe I'll wait to see if Netflix or iTunes rentals get a mandate too though. But so far, I think this was Google's doing.

When reading that article again, it appears as though the license won't be granted to rooted devices. How long before someone figures out how to trick the app?
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 05/23/2011 at 01:27 AM. Reason: added something.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    It's not blocking netflix ^ Just movies from the new Google Youtube/Android market.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    And what I'm saying is how come other sources run and aren't blocked?

Maybe because they don't need any hassles right now. Netflix is only allowed on certain devices.
    The Protect IP Act: Google's Eric Schmidt squares off against RIAA and MPAA -- Engadget

Yes but as I said, no blockage on rooted unapproved devices.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I don't have the answer, only speculation. With that said, I think right now Google doesn't have as much of a leverage, nor credibility when it comes to striking deals with music label companies, movie distributors, etc, as say .. Apple.

Many see Android as being "open" thus allowing consumers to do anything and everything they want with their devices and see Google standing behind it. You have Apple on the other hand, which is the exact opposite: a hole opens, they close it.

I could be completely wrong here.
    perhaps it has something to do with the hardware required for the netflix DRM. even if a phone is rooted and running netflix, the content is still protected. meanwhile the android market rentals dont require that level of drm and are open to attack...

i have no idea what i'm talkin about... just my peiced-together understanding of the situation.
    I still wonder why Google thinks no one can sideload a video capturing app. I don't know if there's one out there, but I think Google may be fooling themselves.

I still wonder why Google thinks no one can sideload a video capturing app. I don't know if there's one out there, but I think Google may be fooling themselves.
    The hardware in those 'select' devices might contain something similar to HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). The post two above has a good theory. Instead of providing the service only to select hardware, provide to all and exclude only those that are modified.
    You mean the select devices for Netflix? Maybe so. But they also have not blocked rooted devices. Unless they know nothing about all that going on... yet.

Actually I think they did something else looking at this.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7-20063197-251.html
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 05/23/2011 at 01:52 AM. Reason: mistake.

You mean the select devices for Netflix? Maybe so. But they also have not blocked rooted devices. Unless they know nothing about all that going on... yet.

Actually I think they did something else looking at this.

How to run the Netflix app on any Android device | Android Atlas - CNET Reviews
    What I'm getting at is: the reason Netflix may have chosen only to support the devices they support is because the hardware that's on the phone (the GPU for example) prevents video hijacking from being possible.

Edit: Yep. Just confirmed, the reason Netflix went the select-device route was because of device DRM. Only way for Google to lock down their movie market is to keep on non-modified systems.
    Last edited by barkerja; 05/23/2011 at 02:34 AM.
    Where's the link that confirms that? I missed that one. I'd be surprised if the Nexus One had that restriction since it was the most open Android ever.

18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    Maybe because they don't need any hassles right now. Netflix is only allowed on certain devices.
    The Protect IP Act: Google's Eric Schmidt squares off against RIAA and MPAA -- Engadget
    Actually, this makes sense. Google has been making many weird decisions with regard to media since they began getting seriously grilled by Congress several weeks ago. Personally, I would like to see them not be evil and fight for consumers, but you know what they say, live today to fight tomorrow.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Where's the link that confirms that? I missed that one. I'd be surprised if the Nexus One had that restriction since it was the most open Android ever.
    http://blog.netflix.com/2011/05/norm...us-x-none.html

The Market download will initially be available only on select phones that currently have the requisite playback support. [...] Because the platform has evolved so rapidly, there are some significant challenges associated with developing a streaming video application for this ecosystem. One of these challenges is the lack of standard streaming playback features that the Netflix application can use to gain broad penetration across all available Android phones. In the absence of standardization, we have to test each individual handset and launch only on those that can support playback.
    And that means HDCP?

I'm going to have to check about the Nexus One, seems against the openness of that particular phone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast