Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm going to be getting an iPhone 4 from VZW soon for my work cell phone. As a webOS user I'd like to understand how I can make it more like webOS with additional applications etc.

I do not wish to jailbreak this unit so any solutions that require jailbreak are probably not going to help me much.

Things I love about my current webOS setup:

• Notifications mind their manners. They stay out of the way until I am ready to look at them and sort through them.
    • Multiple apps can be navigated by gesture (I used advanced gesture mode).
    • Email Synergy allows all of my emails to be in one place but still allows me to back out and review them by mailbox if desired.
    • Contact Synergy allows me to use linkedin to get profile info for contacts that I keep up with through that method.
    Ask your employer to give you a phone allowance and keep using your webOS phone. The best way to achieve what you want....
    I read once that there is a jailbreak that adds the card metaphor to an iphone. Other than that, its going to work the way jobs tells you to it works.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    I'm going to be getting an iPhone 4 from VZW soon for my work cell phone. As a webOS user I'd like to understand how I can make it more like webOS with additional applications etc.

I do not wish to jailbreak this unit so any solutions that require jailbreak are probably not going to help me much.

Things I love about my current webOS setup:

• Notifications mind their manners. They stay out of the way until I am ready to look at them and sort through them.
    • Multiple apps can be navigated by gesture (I used advanced gesture mode).
    • Email Synergy allows all of my emails to be in one place but still allows me to back out and review them by mailbox if desired.
    • Contact Synergy allows me to use linkedin to get profile info for contacts that I keep up with through that method.
    If you want those things and don't want to jailbreak, don't get an iPhone.
    Just ask your boss to get yourself webOS phone. It like if you get Pre and ask people to make it look like Android or iPhone, it's not going to work. Different OS got different pro and con. I think you knew the answer before you asked. I think we know you like webOS and you think webOS is better, so do your best to convince your boss to get you a webOS phone.
    if youre not willing to jailbreak, youre not going to get any of those customizations.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahitz View Post
    If you want those things and don't want to jailbreak, don't get an iPhone.
    +1, first thing I did was Jailbreak. Don't let others decide what you are allowed to do with it.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by tungsten C View Post
    Ask your employer to give you a phone allowance and keep using your webOS phone. The best way to achieve what you want....
    Sorry but not an option. By using a corporate sanctioned phone I also get access to internal email, contacts, calendar, etc.
  9.    #9  
    Folks - while I appreciate the advice so far what I have heard is: Use a Pre, Jailbreak. Neither is an option.

If there is no way to do this - so be it. But please stop telling me to do these things - they are not possible in this circumstance.
    Folks - while I appreciate the advice so far what I have heard is: Use a Pre, Jailbreak. Neither is an option.

If there is no way to do this - so be it. But please stop telling me to do these things - they are not possible in this circumstance.
    There is no way without jailbreaking.. Its the apple way or bust

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Who in your IT department is so single-minded that the only device they have approved is an iPhone? No Android or WP7 phones? That's just silly. That tells me you have a fan-male-young-person running your IT dept.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Who in your IT department is so single-minded that the only device they have approved is an iPhone? No Android or WP7 phones? That's just silly. That tells me you have a fan-male-young-person running your IT dept.

There is another choice - the other choice is Blackberry. Two years ago there was NO choice. There are regulatory considerations and security concerns with BYOD and every platform must be fairly locked down before connection to the corporate email is permitted. This company is huge and it steers like a glacier. Android may come in another year or two - but you can bet it will be limited to specific models and specific OS releases. webOS or WP7 could come if the market share grows dramatically or there is significant executive demand - but again the effort to certify and permit this would be more than a year in length.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    There is no way without jailbreaking.. Its the apple way or bust
    Are there any tips for how to minimize the transition shock? I'll have both for a while.
    Are there any tips for how to minimize the transition shock? I'll have both for a while.
    Use the force Luke..

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    "How can I make this dog behave like a cat?"

"It's a dog. If you want a cat, get a cat."

"I can not have a cat, I am allergic."

"Well, then, enjoy your dog the same way millions of dog-owners do."

"But I want it to be like a cat!"

"Well, you could train it to be like a cat."

"I can not do that, I would get in trouble."

"Then buy a cat."

"STOP TELLING ME TO GET A CAT!"
    Given that.... (no jb, and no Pre)

* Notifications mind their manners. They stay out of the way until I am ready to look at them and sort through them.*

This is subjective. Just turn them off; the sound, the preview. Look for the little red numbers above the text message or email. Not as slick as you get with Pre but I go hours without being interrupted.

*Multiple apps can be navigated by gesture (I used advanced gesture mode).*

You can't use gestures (yet) on iPhone, but clicking the button to bring up all your open apps and toggle back and forth is not too completely different and actually faster. Since the iPhone performs so much more quickly, I've never seen a Pre - even with its more elegant multitasking - switch between apps faster than an iPhone.

*Email Synergy allows all of my emails to be in one place but still allows me to back out and review them by mailbox if desired.*

This is standard on iPhone, so you don't miss anything here.

*Contact Synergy allows me to use linkedin to get profile info for contacts that I keep up with through that method.*

Can't help you there. I think Synergy is probably at the root of many of WebOS's performance problems but agree that would be slick if you use Linked In that way.

There is a Linked In app, that's free, but I don't use it. You can leave it open and access your LI info that way.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Given that.... (no jb, and no Pre)

* Notifications mind their manners. They stay out of the way until I am ready to look at them and sort through them.*

This is subjective. Just turn them off; the sound, the preview. Look for the little red numbers above the text message or email. Not as slick as you get with Pre but I go hours without being interrupted.

*Multiple apps can be navigated by gesture (I used advanced gesture mode).*

You can't use gestures (yet) on iPhone, but clicking the button to bring up all your open apps and toggle back and forth is not too completely different and actually faster. Since the iPhone performs so much more quickly, I've never seen a Pre - even with its more elegant multitasking - switch between apps faster than an iPhone.

*Email Synergy allows all of my emails to be in one place but still allows me to back out and review them by mailbox if desired.*

This is standard on iPhone, so you don't miss anything here.

*Contact Synergy allows me to use linkedin to get profile info for contacts that I keep up with through that method.*

Can't help you there. I think Synergy is probably at the root of many of WebOS's performance problems but agree that would be slick if you use Linked In that way.

There is a Linked In app, that's free, but I don't use it. You can leave it open and access your LI info that way.

Thank you. This helps.
  18.    #18  
    "How can I make this dog behave like a cat?"

"It's a dog. If you want a cat, get a cat."

"I can not have a cat, I am allergic."

"Well, then, enjoy your dog the same way millions of dog-owners do."

"But I want it to be like a cat!"

"Well, you could train it to be like a cat."

"I can not do that, I would get in trouble."

"Then buy a cat."

I think you missed the boat. I'm not allegic to a cat (or webOS). I'm not allowed to have my cat in the house (work email) because my employer doesn't have a way to keep the cat out of the pantry. My question was about how to interact with the Dog in a more catlike way - knowing that the dog is never going to be a cat. Of course I think webOS is more like a dog than a cat (more loveable) but that's another story.

Answers that are helpful:
    How do something similar but not the same.
    How to do a little thing that helps make up for the loss of feature x.
    That feature x can't be done without violating one of the key assumptions.

Answers that don't help:
    Your employer is stupid; your policies are dumb; you should make them do what you want. These are not at all helpful.

I'm not trying to turn rocks into cheese or squeeze blood from a turnip. I'm asking if there are options and setting limits on what acceptable means of getting those options working would be. You do not have to post just to tell me it can't be done - but that's better than posting to say I should change my requirements and restrictions.

I think you can program this dog to act like a cat, and then you will be all set:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_x9Eq7N0pQp...obot_dog_1.jpg

But that's not going to solve the OP's question.
    Keep your most used apps on the first page to keep from having to use the double tap command.

After a few weeks of using it you'll get more comfortable with it.

Make use of the good things like... push notifications and camera.

good luck

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast