Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

    Nokia's adoption of of Win OS hasn't done much to help MS percentage of the smartphone market. This may be different as time goes on....however we can't know how webOS, etc. will effect things as well.

    Please see the provided link for more info.

    Take care,

    Jay


    Smartphone Rankings: Google's Android and Apple's iOS continue to dominate the smartphone space, says Gartner, as competitors Symbian, BlackBerry, and Windows Phone jockey for the leftovers.

    By Eric Zeman InformationWeek
    May 19, 2011 11:33 AM

    Windows Phone At Bottom Of Global Smartphone Rankings -- InformationWeek

    Microsoft has made little headway in reclaiming its lost smartphone market share in the six months since the debut of Windows Phone 7. According to Gartner's latest numbers, Microsoft sold only 1.6 million Windows Phone 7 devices during the first quarter of the year, leaving it just ahead of HP's anemic webOS numbers (categorized by Gartner as "other"), but behind every other major platform.

    Microsoft has fumbled through the early months of 2011 with Windows Phone 7, which has seen delayed system updates, software glitches, and problems arising from the long-delayed updates. Microsoft is prepared to make a major WP7-based announcement on Tuesday, May 24, that will hopefully set it in a more positive direction.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  2. #2  
    "just ahead of HP's anemic webOS numbers (categorized by Gartner as "other")"

    ouch.
  3.    #3  
    Hi,

    that's just for now...I'm sure that webOS 3.0, HP's $ and marketing savvy, the Pre3 & the TouchPad will make a difference.

    Take care,

    Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  4. #4  
    I don't know about HP's marketing. The Veer is making mistakes, some even worse than the Pre IMO. How can about 90%(if not more) of AT&T and Best Buy people not know what they are supposed to be selling?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I don't know about HP's marketing. The Veer is making mistakes, some even worse than the Pre IMO. How can about 90%(if not more) of AT&T and Best Buy people not know what they are supposed to be selling?
    Hi,

    Let's hope this is the shake out cruise for the Pre3 & the TouchPad.

    Take care,

    Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  6. #6  
    If you consider that WP7 only barebly beat webOS when there was no real effort to sell webOS phones during that quarter, these numbers aren't bad. There will be a big push very soon, for the Veer, Pre3, and Touchpad. HP shouldpost decent numbers in the third quarter.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
    If you consider that WP7 only barebly beat webOS when there was no real effort to sell webOS phones during that quarter, these numbers aren't bad. There will be a big push very soon, for the Veer, Pre3, and Touchpad. HP shouldpost decent numbers in the third quarter.
    Hi,

    Thank You! I couldn't have said it better myself!

    Take care,

    Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  8. nhavar's Avatar
    Posts
    285 Posts
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I don't know about HP's marketing. The Veer is making mistakes, some even worse than the Pre IMO. How can about 90%(if not more) of AT&T and Best Buy people not know what they are supposed to be selling?
    As others have mentioned online, the Veer launch was a "soft" launch. They launch with no marketing and limited stock to select partners. They train a few stores and then collect data in order to refine the process, marketing materials, and training once the hard launch comes.
  9. nhavar's Avatar
    Posts
    285 Posts
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I'm trying to think of any consumer technology device that benefited from a second launch of the same hardware. Well, Verizon did relaunch the Kin phones.

    I guess "select partners" is one way to describe it. Based on reports, here, from the AT&T stores, "unsuspecting" would be more accurate.
    this happens more than you're aware. think "limited release" and "select markets". I don't know how many times I've gone into stores looking for a product that can be found easily online, but stores have never heard of it or think it's not been released yet, then walk into another store and they have a display and the sales staff know everything about it.

    being fans we're hyper aware of the lack of visibility as well as being hyper-critical of any perceived mistep.
  10. dv220s's Avatar
    Posts
    87 Posts
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    #10  
    WP7 is struggling to get a move on. I can say that Microsoft's overall share is decreasing slower than before with the increase in growth of WP7 and slowing decrease of WM. I believe that this will change as soon as MS starts rolling out Mango this September(I heard from someone who said that they went to a developers thing and they said it should start rolling out in September). I also hope we will get some sneak peaks at upcoming hardware. Anyways, HP needs to hurry up with the marketing because they should have had enough time before launch to get things ready. They've had months. HP better get their act together and stop. They have a race to win and are acting like they have the world at their fingertips. They don't more people would like to go to Android or iPhone because of the apps and everyones using one.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by arthur5461 View Post
    snip... They have a race to win and are acting like they have the world at their fingertips.
    How will the winner of the race be determined?
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi,

    that's just for now...I'm sure that webOS 3.0, HP's $ and marketing savvy, the Pre3 & the TouchPad will make a difference.

    Take care,

    Jay
    well this is a smartphone ranking so the touchpad good or bad would not change that.

    Quote Originally Posted by nhavar View Post
    As others have mentioned online, the Veer launch was a "soft" launch.
    Do you think they'll relaunch the Veer and sell a lot more then it currently is selling?

    Quote Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
    HP shouldpost decent numbers in the third quarter.
    HP just lowered guidance for the coming quarter and had a major warning? maybe you're referring just to phone sales but you didn't specify that so i'm gonna assume you mean the whole of HP. In my experience that just doesn't normally happen. Companies that are going to have a decent quarter don't normally slash guidance right before.
  13. nhavar's Avatar
    Posts
    285 Posts
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    well this is a smartphone ranking so the touchpad good or bad would not change that.



    Do you think they'll relaunch the Veer and sell a lot more then it currently is selling?


    HP just lowered guidance for the coming quarter and had a major warning? maybe you're referring just to phone sales but you didn't specify that so i'm gonna assume you mean the whole of HP. In my experience that just doesn't normally happen. Companies that are going to have a decent quarter don't normally slash guidance right before.
    With the money that MS & MS partners are putting into marketing their phones they should be miles away from webOS in the ranking. Compare MS mass marketing to webOS non existing marketing, and MS just isn't gaining any ground.

    Knowing where Ms stands, gives us possibilities for HP. 1) the market is inpenetrable and no amount of marketing will improve sales, it's a deadend. 2) the market takes time to warm to a new product, it will take a year to take hold (see g1) 3) the MS product just fails on it's own merits and has no relevance to how HP will do.

    I don't see much excitement for the ms offering. I don't know of anyone among my friends or family or coworkers that has one or plans to be buying one. Which seems odd to me, because the stats suggest I should know more ms users than webOS users.

    I think given the excitement I've seen from experienced webOS users and people new to the platform regarding the Veer, with solid marketing HP will increase sales. If the marketing hits while showing a product line versus a single product then HP stands a better chance of success.

    The real question is going to be if HP can keep shareholders from panicking as HP shifts it's business model from the traditional pc market to focus more on the cloud and mobile.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by nhavar View Post

    I think given the excitement I've seen from experienced webOS users and people new to the platform regarding the Veer, with solid marketing HP will increase sales. If the marketing hits while showing a product line versus a single product then HP stands a better chance of success.

    The real question is going to be if HP can keep shareholders from panicking as HP shifts it's business model from the traditional pc market to focus more on the cloud and mobile.

    Hi all,

    1. I haven't ever looked at the sister site of this one to see if the owners of MS based phones are as passionate about their phones and new platform as we are. I doubt it because, of the polling that was on the front page of this site a few days ago.

    Have any of you ever monitored the site for MS phones? If so, are the as enamored with their platform as we are?

    2. I Don't know anyone who has even looked at MS based smartphones let alone owns one.

    3. Your last point is a good one, how will the shareholders tolerate HP's shift to cloud and mobile products. Of course, HP has to change to keep up with shifts in tech, customer needs and tastes.

    4. Perhaps I'm in the minority, however I still think having webOS on all HP's new computers is a good idea. I think it may give people a chance to get to know a little bit about webOS..... perhaps some will try it an decide to adopt webOS based phones and other products....


    Take care all,

    Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by nhavar View Post
    As others have mentioned online, the Veer launch was a "soft" launch. They launch with no marketing and limited stock to select partners. They train a few stores and then collect data in order to refine the process, marketing materials, and training once the hard launch comes.
    The Veer is in stores NOW! Those who support webOS come in to ask, no one knows a thing or breaks any phone they have in stock in a couple of cases, because someone forgot to train them that the battery is nonremovable. I don't care about the "soft launch" excuse, they aren't selling these phones correctly! Why is the Veer even in stores when the salespeople know nothing about it and aren't selling it but are pushing the Infuse??
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I don't care about the "soft launch" excuse, they aren't selling these phones correctly! Why is the Veer even in stores when the salespeople know nothing about it and aren't selling it but are pushing the Infuse??
    Hi All,

    Ms Diva is correct...I can't figure out what HP is up to!

    Take care,

    Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by nhavar View Post
    With the money that MS & MS partners are putting into marketing their phones they should be miles away from webOS in the ranking. Compare MS mass marketing to webOS non existing marketing, and MS just isn't gaining any ground.

    Knowing where Ms stands, gives us possibilities for HP. 1) the market is inpenetrable and no amount of marketing will improve sales, it's a deadend. 2) the market takes time to warm to a new product, it will take a year to take hold (see g1) 3) the MS product just fails on it's own merits and has no relevance to how HP will do.

    I don't see much excitement for the ms offering. I don't know of anyone among my friends or family or coworkers that has one or plans to be buying one. Which seems odd to me, because the stats suggest I should know more ms users than webOS users.

    I think given the excitement I've seen from experienced webOS users and people new to the platform regarding the Veer, with solid marketing HP will increase sales. If the marketing hits while showing a product line versus a single product then HP stands a better chance of success.

    The real question is going to be if HP can keep shareholders from panicking as HP shifts it's business model from the traditional pc market to focus more on the cloud and mobile.
    I didn't even mention Microsoft. What you said may be true but i'm not really sure how that relates to anything i said.

    Hey you're entitled to you're opinion about the veer. But i'm with Diva. They aren't selling tha that phone right at all. That being said even best case I haven't seen a drop of interest outside of the veer section of the precentral forums. So honestly i don't expect anything to change with the Veer in the coming months, no pun intended. The Pre 3 is the big boy that has to sell big.

    But i think you're way way off with "HP shareholder panic" "business model change" talk. First off shareholders left for a very good reason, their earnings are failing and HP themselves said they'll be bad next quarter. people said the same thing when pre sell through fell and Palm earnings were down. there where people screaming buy the stock, at 8 dollars. In reality that was just wishful thinking because the facts pointed to a bad quarter. And it was. But HP is a company making money off imaging, and pcs where pcs are declining. And has an an enterprise business that's really profitable. But has way too many employees in unprofitable areas and is facing major issues in their services business. And that's an issue cause most of it's competitors in that area had no problems. HP blamed Japan. It's competitors didn't point to japan and said it wasn't an issue. I hope Leo can sort it out but it ain't happening this quarter. shareholders will come back when the stock is fairly priced based on it's earnings.. And it's down like 27% or something so it's getting closer to a bottom.

    But considering how big PSG is the pre 3 and touchpad would have to do like half the sales if not more then the iphone and ipad to have a material bump in the earnings of the PSG.

    And when HP itself tells you it's earnings are going down i don't think they are lying. I trust that they aren't ruining their stock for no reason.
  18. jeffmcc's Avatar
    Posts
    619 Posts
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    #18  
    I own(or did own untill my mom dropped it from the fith floor of an apartment building) a winmo phone. And when they first came out and they were the best phones on sprint i had my parents each buy a htc touch pro. Winmo 5 and 6(6.5) were awsome. U can still buy the hd 2 with winmo 6.5. With out a home screen setup like touch flow 3D it looks pretty bare. But other than being graphicly ugly it was a good OS. Winmo 7 on the other hand looks ugly and i dont understand why people would want it.


    Right now i have my old original palm pre without service. Im using an ipod 4g and a messenging feature phone. I am going to buy an unlocked android phone soon to give android a try.











    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

    1. I haven't ever looked at the sister site of this one to see if the owners of MS based phones are as passionate about their phones and new platform as we are. I doubt it because, of the polling that was on the front page of this site a few days ago.

    Have any of you ever monitored the site for MS phones? If so, are the as enamored with their platform as we are?

    2. I Don't know anyone who has even looked at MS based smartphones let alone owns one.

    3. Your last point is a good one, how will the shareholders tolerate HP's shift to cloud and mobile products. Of course, HP has to change to keep up with shifts in tech, customer needs and tastes.

    4. Perhaps I'm in the minority, however I still think having webOS on all HP's new computers is a good idea. I think it may give people a chance to get to know a little bit about webOS..... perhaps some will try it an decide to adopt webOS based phones and other products....


    Take care all,

    Jay

    NOT "HP webOS"!!!
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffmcc View Post
    I own(or did own untill my mom dropped it from the fith floor of an apartment building) a winmo phone. And when they first came out and they were the best phones on sprint i had my parents each buy a htc touch pro. Winmo 5 and 6(6.5) were awsome. U can still buy the hd 2 with winmo 6.5. With out a home screen setup like touch flow 3D it looks pretty bare. But other than being graphicly ugly it was a good OS. Winmo 7 on the other hand looks ugly and i dont understand why people would want it.


    Right now i have my old original palm pre without service. Im using an ipod 4g and a messenging feature phone. I am going to buy an unlocked android phone soon to give android a try.
    Hi and thank you for info on Win phone as I know nothing about them at all.

    Take care,

    Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  20. #20  
    It will be WindowsPhone and WebOS who are fighting it out to the death. Android, iOS, and blackberry (for now) are comfortable right now.

    Windows Phone has a nice UI. My girlfriend and my mom where both drawn to the HTC Arrive because of the simple pretty UI. I showed them the pixi but the screen was too small in both cases.

    Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions