Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I'm not sure what the future holds for webOS. I'm confident that HP will never have the market share iOS and Android battle for. Does this mean webOS is in peril? Who knows. If so, the combination of Nokia and WP7 is very attractive.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by leebae View Post
    I'm not sure what the future holds for webOS. I'm confident that HP will never have the market share iOS and Android battle for. Does this mean webOS is in peril? Who knows. If so, the combination of Nokia and WP7 is very attractive.
    Hi all,

I truly think having a portion of the market without the majority of the market can be still be a very positive arrangement for HP.

take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    You dOnt have to sign your name at the end of every post jay. Gets quite anoying after a while....

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    It will be WindowsPhone and WebOS who are fighting it out to the death. Android, iOS, and blackberry (for now) are comfortable right now.

Windows Phone has a nice UI. My girlfriend and my mom where both drawn to the HTC Arrive because of the simple pretty UI. I showed them the pixi but the screen was too small in both cases.
    I don't know that I would call Blackberry's position comfortable. They're one of the largest losers of market share, having lost 5%+ as of January 2011, most of which went to Android. Sales of the Playbook are dismal and returns have been reported as very high. At the same time they plan to stop supporting an OS they just released last year and make people re-buy all those applications because the new OS isn't backward compatible. Their more recent handsets are just rehashes of the same old stuff. They seem directionless right now and in much the same position Palm was in at one time... thinking they're on top of the world until it's too late to recover.

RIM is going to have to really hustle if they intend to stay near the top. Personally I think they have too much negative momentum and it will take a huge change in leadership to turn that boat around.
    They will be in the top 3 for another 2 years at least.

Quote Originally Posted by nhavar View Post
    I don't know that I would call Blackberry's position comfortable. They're one of the largest losers of market share, having lost 5%+ as of January 2011, most of which went to Android. Sales of the Playbook are dismal and returns have been reported as very high. At the same time they plan to stop supporting an OS they just released last year and make people re-buy all those applications because the new OS isn't backward compatible. Their more recent handsets are just rehashes of the same old stuff. They seem directionless right now and in much the same position Palm was in at one time... thinking they're on top of the world until it's too late to recover.

RIM is going to have to really hustle if they intend to stay near the top. Personally I think they have too much negative momentum and it will take a huge change in leadership to turn that boat around.
    You are quoting a BGR article with an unnamed source. (the big-box source wasn't bestbuy who have said the playbook far exceeded there expectations)

Hopeful Signals Emerge for RIM's PlayBook - WSJ.com

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    well this is a smartphone ranking so the touchpad good or bad would not change that.
    It could influence it though... As far as I know the TouchPad integration with receiving calls/texts from webOS phones is only available with HP's devices, so someone who has never heard of webOS could be lured in for this device combo integration alone. HP has got to market this feature though.

Come to think of it, if HP does what it says it will, there will be a percentage of people out there (albeit probably a small %) who buy an HP computer next year and wind up getting a webOS phone because of the integration it offers.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    They will be in the top 3 for another 2 years at least.

You are quoting a BGR article with an unnamed source. (the big-box source wasn't bestbuy who have said the playbook far exceeded there expectations)

Hopeful Signals Emerge for RIM's PlayBook - WSJ.com
    And you cite an article that doesn't have any firm numbers but a bunch of maybe's and might haves amid informal polling of unnamed retailers. It's quoting a bank that may well have a vested interest in propping up RIM in relation to its own investments. So it remains to be seen if either of us is right.

RIM's numbers aren't due out until the June 16th, but they've already warned about low sales numbers for Blackberry and a shift in sales of higher end models. They're mum on Playbook actual sales preferring to talk about shipments (which is not consumer sales, but how many units are sitting on retailers shelves waiting to be sold). They've also had to recall 1000 units due to improper software builds and they struggle with AT&T restrictions that hinder the use of Bridge.

Research In Motion Warns Earnings to Fall Short Amid Weak BlackBerry Sales – AllThingsD

Analysts originally predicted 4 million playbook sales for 2011, that was downgraded to 2 million. RIM stated that they have a better product than Apple. Assuming that analysts predictions of 250,000 for the first month for the playbook is accurate then they are way off target, since Apple sold 300,000 units in their first day and the estimates are between 45 and 50k for Playbook's opening day.

RIM may have low bar on PlayBook sales targets - MarketWatch

All of this hinges on what RIM and BB originally expected. It's easy to say they exceeded expectations if their internal expectations were already low. The question will be how do the sales stack up to analysts and stock holders expectations. RIM is losing market value quickly and is down around their two year low. Depending on how much cash on hand they have any further stock hit could start putting constraints on investments and create the need to consolidate product offerings. This will make it even harder to compete with the masses. Regardless of it's position in the market, companies like this can be squeezed by the shareholders pretty quickly to make decisions that could adversely affect the future of a company (see Nokia).

So BB COULD stay in the running for 2 years but look at how unexpectedly it got knocked from the #1 spot. My view is still that they need to do much more than what they are doing right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by nhavar View Post
    So BB COULD stay in the running for 2 years but look at how unexpectedly it got knocked from the #1 spot. My view is still that they need to do much more than what they are doing right now.
    I agree blackberry is in trouble. and I am sure they know that too.

Just saying Microsoft is HP's competition in the short term, both of which are trying to catch fleeing blackberry users.

But with RIM at 27.1% V.S. HP's 2.8% and Microsofts 7.5% (most of which are not winphone7) blackberry still has a huge buffer.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12