Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Looks like there might be some basis for the fan boy accusation after all:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computi...uroscientists/

And webOS fans are supposed to be most passionately in love with their OS? I'd like to see those brain scans...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    There is a difference between passion and fanaticism....
    <shakes head>

I guess this explains a lot. Every iProduct owner I know constantly tries to convert me to iProducts while users of other systems don't seem to care one way or the other what I use. Well, Androids are starting to lean that way too I suppose.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    And webOS fans are supposed to be most passionately in love with their OS? I'd like to see those brain scans...
    True. If that chart were to show Apple users more into their devices than those that use WebOS or Android, there would be a totally different discussions going on in that comments section, would there not?
    apple dogma: i think its created that way by purpose... or it happened accidently, but i know even in the 90s people like graphicans or publishers already loved their mac for what it was in a way that was at least partly a "strong believe" and... yes, "love"

i think a "passion" can be something different and something more earthed based or at least heavily connected to a real benefit you have from it and that it gives you happyness by using it not by obeying the brand and the philosophy as the main impulse.

i think apple needs that religious drive to hide some things from their sheep, like very often religion is used to blind one or another eye out there. but with the apple believers i think its part of the benefit for the user: some truths about technology and the responsibility you carry just by using a mighty tool and some fears of evil bits and bytes are "taken away" from you.

webos users must face what they are doing and they are willing to do so. so the benefit is not so much shelter from technology but the joy of using and controlling it. no need to set up a prominent "i believe" on top of the product.

still i think since webos lacks the potencial for fanatism it might always be behind of ios, but i like it that way because i dont wanna be brain washed.
    Quote Originally Posted by gnark View Post
    no need to set up a prominent "i believe" on top of the product.
    I am agnostic when it comes to electronics. Whatever works is fine by me....
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  8.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    I am agnostic when it comes to electronics. Whatever works is fine by me....
    I am sort of like that, except I avoid Apple products with a passion. I'm a Windows AND Linux fan (blasphemous, I know), but given Apple's policies which claim to "protect" users from themselves, especially with iOS, I will not be buying an Apple product anytime soon.

Also, I have to agree with stung. HP/Palm have been stringing us along with promises that new products will come "in the coming months" for a long time, and people continue to believe it.
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    That's another good one, the religion of the conspiracy theorists, which where that particular joke comes from.
    I've said it a million times. It's all about the marketing. It really is. Apple has a cult following thanks to marketing that was designed to create exactly that. Everything from the ads, the packaging, the stores... All designed to invoke an emotional, almost spiritual response from customers. I could probably write a masters thesis comparing the similarities between Apple's marketing and the marketing used by various religions.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  12.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I think we can agree that had this happened to an Apple smartphone launch, heads would roll.
    You mean like with the whole antennagate thing and with the white iPhone 4 being a hair's width thicker than the black one?
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    You mean like with the whole antennagate thing and with the white iPhone 4 being a hair's width thicker than the black one?
    You're thinking that Apple's foibles go by....what? Unnoticed?!

I think Untidy's point is right on: People trying to buy Veers right now (and Pre2s before them) are being treated like doo doo.

Do you disagree?

Sure there is the enlightened sales people that seems to know something about HP/Palm, but as demonstrated over and over again, most don't, and will try and sell you an Android.

So yeah, Apple brands the experience: the stores, the ads, the packaging, the CSR training etc.

HP should learn from that, not mock that.

(and to be fair I think *HP* thinks there are some big lessons for them here and are acting -- perhaps slowly -- accordingly)
    I don't know why the white iPhone being a bit thicker is considered bad, except for case makers of course. But I'm thinking it has something to do with the paint needing to be thicker to stay white or not chip or deteriorate.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Over the past week, some of Palm/HP's most loyal customers read the reviews of the Veer, walked into an AT&T or Best Buy store. Most were treated with indifference by sales people or pitched an alternative product. Those who persisted were rewarded with a device that wasn't set up or got no demo at all. An HP marketing exec visited this forum and acted like it wasn't that big of a deal that this happened. I'm guessing that the reason why HP doesn't have a cult following of customers is that they don't seem to care that much about what the customer experience is. I think we can agree that had this happened to an Apple smartphone launch, heads would roll.
    The real reason is their "cult following" lies in other things. They don't care about mobile, except for when they made their iPaqs long ago. That's too obvious. That marketing exec statement was a joke. Wait until other devices are released? What about the one you have out now?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    I've said it a million times. It's all about the marketing. It really is. Apple has a cult following thanks to marketing that was designed to create exactly that. Everything from the ads, the packaging, the stores... All designed to invoke an emotional, almost spiritual response from customers. I could probably write a masters thesis comparing the similarities between Apple's marketing and the marketing used by various religions.
    Actually, they built off of their "Outsider" cred from the '80s. You're right that they've had good marketing, but it's been built from the outsider status that made the "1984" superbowl commercial. "I'm a PC/I'm a Mac", etc.

As I've said many times, webOS is the newest installment of a decades-old tension between the Establishment and the Fan-<young men>. Betamax. BeOs. OS2. DOS. Amiga. (And my personal favorite, the Rendition line of graphics cards).

With every one of them, there was a devoted cadre convinced their tech was superior. In Apple's case, the company hung around long enough to get some mindshare, but more importantly, they hung around long enough for the next wave of anti-establishment gadget geeks to get into the mainstream. Their marketing could have been designed by a chimp.. the cultural change is what allowed them to succeed.
    I just think some refuse to see that HP really hasn't helped webOS to widespread advance as was hoped. The community here is a better marketer, far better. When the customers have to use word of mouth to advertise a product from a large company that should have it's own advertising, something's wrong.

And how can anyone buy that excuse from that "marketing" guy? Forget relying on the "ecosystem" for now. You have a released product on a carrier that overshadows everything with iPhone and now Android. Make sure they sell the phones you supposedly stand by!!

Quote Originally Posted by blinktreo View Post
    Actually, they built off of their "Outsider" cred from the '80s. You're right that they've had good marketing, but it's been built from the outsider status that made the "1984" superbowl commercial. "I'm a PC/I'm a Mac", etc.

As I've said many times, webOS is the newest installment of a decades-old tension between the Establishment and the Fan-<young men>. Betamax. BeOs. OS2. DOS. Amiga. (And my personal favorite, the Rendition line of graphics cards).

With every one of them, there was a devoted cadre convinced their tech was superior. In Apple's case, the company hung around long enough to get some mindshare, but more importantly, they hung around long enough for the next wave of anti-establishment gadget geeks to get into the mainstream. Their marketing could have been designed by a chimp.. the cultural change is what allowed them to succeed.
    The outsider "cred" was the goal of that ad. Again, marketing. Anyway, that was a long time ago. A lot of people that buy Apple products today--and probably the vast majority of them--don't remember that ad campaign or regard Apple in the way that ad intended them to. Most people today probably remember the iPod commercials with the dancing silhouettes most.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast