Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I was wondering who is Samsung's lead hardware designer. Who determines what all components can be brought together and how the final package would look. I know peter Silkman did that job at old Palm and John Ivy is amazing at iPhone. Wondering who is Samsung's lead guy and why doesnt H/P hire him?

Just saw Engadget's review of samsung's Galaxy Tab limited edition. It says this is the first competitor to IP-2.
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 Limited Edition review -- Engadget

Imagine they wanted to make the weight lesser than IP-2 so they put a bigger battery. 7000mAH. I would take one for TP.
    There's just no other way to say it: the iPad 2 finally has a real competitor
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    I don't see anything innovative about the Galaxy Tab other than it doesn't look as ugly as RIM's Playbook.

Maybe I'm missing something here?
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    It's thin! That's pretty innovating.

HP has had awful laptops until apple started making unibody aluminum macbooks and they had to actually try. So they bought Voodoo and focused them on a killer laptop both in design and power.

Samsung saw apple had a jaw dropping form-factor and knew to compete it needed to impress.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post

HP has had awful laptops until apple started making unibody aluminum macbooks and they had to actually try. So they bought Voodoo and focused them on a killer laptop both in design and power.

Samsung saw apple had a jaw dropping form-factor and knew to compete it needed to impress.
    Thats what I mean, the galaxy tab is almost perfect in hardware specs, bigger screen, bigger battery , thinner than IP-2. Wish TP was all that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    I don't see anything innovative about the Galaxy Tab other than it doesn't look as ugly as RIM's Playbook.

Maybe I'm missing something here?
    I don't see anything innovative about the TouchPad either except that it has webOS on it.

Let me ask you this, or someone please create a poll.

Let's say if every tablet on the market or soon to be on the market got same OS, webOS in this case. Which one will you buy?

1. iPad2
    2. Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
    3. PlayBook
    4. TouchPad
    5. Xoom
    6. Transformer

I think my first choice will be Samsung. Second will be iPad.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    I don't see anything innovative about the TouchPad either except that it has webOS on it.

Let's say if every tablet on the market or soon to be on the market got same OS, webOS in this case. Which one will you buy?

1. iPad2
    3. PlayBook
    4. TouchPad
    5. Xoom
    6. Transformer

First: Samsung
    2Nd: IP-2

1. iPad2
    3. PlayBook
    4. TouchPad
    5. Xoom
    6. Transformer

Completely agree. Touchpad is already an aged hardware when it's released. The only thing special about it is webOS. Hardware wise - form wise, it's thick and heavy. From purely a hardware choice, if i were to buy an >8" tablet, Galaxy Tab 10.1 would be choice 1, ipad2 choice 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post

Being thin is not innovative. It's just what Apple and now Samsung are doing. Copying is not innovating. Making it thin to compete is not the same as being innovative. It does have nice specs but that's a different war altogether that no one ever wins.

1. iPad2
    3. PlayBook
    4. TouchPad
    5. Xoom
    6. Transformer

I agree, nothing innovative about the TP either other than the OS. That's another point. No one is using the Pre, Pixi, etc because of the HW. They use it because of the OS. HTC has great hw but it still has Android (which is still clunky and still has a terrible UI).

Interesting question. However, not having held a TP, it's hard to insert it in this poll. Also, the poll would be biased as the most spec'd out hw would be chosen which is probably the latest one that has been released (Excluding HP because of they are so far behind). Given that information and my experience, I'd choose IP2 followed by the Samsung.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    I actually think the TouchStone looks really handy. Also the SMS and calls routing from phone to the TouchPad is nice. And if the speakers are actually any good (big if), I could definitely see myself sticking the thing on the TouchStone at my desk or in the kitchen and streaming some tunes.

But, you lose HDMI/DLNA/AirPlay and rear camera (not that I care about that)

1. iPad2
    3. PlayBook
    4. TouchPad
    5. Xoom
    6. Transformer

I agree, if we're going just on hardware I'd go Tab, iPad2, Playbook. But to me software is a MUCH bigger differentiator between all these tablets than hardware. Unfortunately, there seems to be an inverse relationship between how much I like a tablet OS and the selection of apps available for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahitz View Post
    I agree, if we're going just on hardware I'd go Tab, iPad2, Playbook. But to me software is a MUCH bigger differentiator between all these tablets than hardware. Unfortunately, there seems to be an inverse relationship between how much I like a tablet OS and the selection of apps available for it.
    This is the reason why I said if these tablets come with same OS, webOS. This way, we can actually judge the hardware. I doubt even hardcore HP/Palm fans here will pick TouchPad over other devices.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    This is the reason why I said if these tablets come with same OS, webOS. This way, we can actually judge the hardware. I doubt even hardcore HP/Palm fans here will pick TouchPad over other devices.
    I don't know, though. Thinking again about hardware, I might choose the chunky plastic TouchPad just to get Touchstone and Touch-to-share (and BEATSSsss!!!)

In the end it doesn't matter. It's not like you can buy a Samsung and put webOS on it, or throw iOS on a Playbook.
    I don't know, though. Thinking again about hardware, I might choose the chunky plastic TouchPad just to get Touchstone and Touch-to-share (and BEATSSsss!!!)

In the end it doesn't matter. It's not like you can buy a Samsung and put webOS on it, or throw iOS on a Playbook.
    This is the reason why I think HP should license webOS to company like Samsung, HTC, Acer and even Sony. I think webOS can easily dominate the market if HP take that road instead of making their own device. I think we can all agreed that webOS is far better than any OS in the market. HP should work on backend ecosystem, like enterprise solution with tons of webOS devices. Give a business total solution.
    I don't like the plastic, shiny look and probably what will feel like plastic on the TP. I would have rather had some durable, quality material. This is what I didn't like about the original Pre (the cheap backside of it). The TS back was much better for my Pre.
    I bought the 7" Galaxy Tab the other day from that AT&T refurb sale. I like the size. It's put together very well and feels sturdy. Not cheap. But it's also too fat and too heavy. But I accept that as a 1st gen hardware. The update to this one will be skinnier and lighter. Thin and light are innovations imo. They have to figure out a way to cram crap into a smaller space while improving on speed and hopefully battery life. That's innovation. And guess what, the thinner and lighter you go, you're more prone to impress the consumers. I held a Xoom. It felt too fat and heavy. Touchpad is even heavier!

But I will not blindly say I will go with better hardware. I'm still learning Android but so far I hate it. Ideally, HP's 2nd gen touchpad offerings will include a 7-incher too. And will be very svelte. Oh and c'mon, no rear camera? No HDMI out? We're now halfway into 2011 and HP is releasing last year's tablet specs?
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    This is the reason why I think HP should license webOS to company like Samsung, HTC, Acer and even Sony. I think webOS can easily dominate the market if HP take that road instead of making their own device. I think we can all agreed that webOS is far better than any OS in the market. HP should work on backend ecosystem, like enterprise solution with tons of webOS devices. Give a business total solution.
    ain't gonna happen
    ain't gonna happen
    I know it won't happen. But if it does happen, and you will get to see all the cool gadgets with webOS on it. That would be really cool. And I really have no doubt, webOS can take over the android domination.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    I know it won't happen. But if it does happen, and you will get to see all the cool gadgets with webOS on it.
    no, you wouldn't.

Sorry, but why would Samsung, Acer, Dell, Asus, etc. pay their biggest competitor to license webOS when Android is free? Would it be to appeal to the massive base of webOS users, or for access to the huge catalog of webOS apps?
    Last edited by ahitz; 05/18/2011 at 12:03 PM.
    [QUOTE=ahitz;2966122]
    I know it won't happen. But if it does happen, and you will get to see all the cool gadgets with webOS on it. QUOTE]

no, you wouldn't.

Sorry, but why would Samsung, Acer, Dell, Asus, etc. pay their biggest competitor to license webOS when Android is free? Would it be to appeal to the massive base of webOS users, or for access to the huge catalog of webOS apps?
    I don't know, maybe it's because webOS is better than Android. Just my guessing. As far as competitor, they are all interconnected. Apple and Samsung is competitor, but Apple is one of the biggest customer to Samsung.
  19.    #19  
    I think the reason why Samsung's design is so so so good, is they bloody make everything. If the Battery is tiny, they just put in a heavy density battery for the same space, wish H/P could use their muscle to get things like that
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    no, you wouldn't.

Android is free, except that it's not. Yes you can get stock Android, download it and install it for free. However, Samsung, Acer, Dell, Asus et al also have to pay licensing fees to Google for use of applications and services that tie into Android. Without those it's just another linux OS. Those licenses aren't free and they aren't cheap. So it would really be a bidding war. That's where Google is winning right now over other companies, offering value add (free Android) and lower cost licensing of a wide range of integrated services.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast