Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    This is the reason why I think HP should license webOS to company like Samsung, HTC, Acer and even Sony. I think webOS can easily dominate the market if HP take that road instead of making their own device. I think we can all agreed that webOS is far better than any OS in the market. HP should work on backend ecosystem, like enterprise solution with tons of webOS devices. Give a business total solution.
    Except that these companies can also license something from Microsoft --- and Microsoft is willing to give out big money to subsidize partner advertisements. And Microsoft is willing to give out big money to basically buy third party developers' attention.
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    Except that these companies can also license something from Microsoft --- and Microsoft is willing to give out big money to subsidize partner advertisements. And Microsoft is willing to give out big money to basically buy third party developers' attention.
    that's why Microsoft WP7 has bright future. I saw an article that WP7 has chance to catch up Android near future. My next phone will be Nokia WP7, if Verizon ever decided to release WP7.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nhavar View Post
    Android is free, except that it's not. Yes you can get stock Android, download it and install it for free. However, Samsung, Acer, Dell, Asus et al also have to pay licensing fees to Google for use of applications and services that tie into Android. Without those it's just another linux OS. Those licenses aren't free and they aren't cheap. So it would really be a bidding war. That's where Google is winning right now over other companies, offering value add (free Android) and lower cost licensing of a wide range of integrated services.
    Right - Google makes money from those services via advertising. Google could easily charge less for those licenses than HP charges for webOS, to the point where HP sees no profit in developing and supporting webOS for 3rd parties. HP has "no room for profitless revenue", at least for now.

I still see no reason other manufacturers would license webOS. There's no demand until HP creates it, and once/if they do, they'll want to keep the benefit to themselves.

HP does need to license/open-source Enyo, however, so that apps can work on other platforms (but still be most awesome on HP webOS).
  4.    #24  
    so anybody knows who is instrumental in designing this sleek and wonderful speced Samsung Tab?
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    It would be nice to know so that they could receive due credit but this is more about Samsung accepting these specs and agreeing to build them. Many engineers can design this type of hw. It's the company's responsibility to ok the project and do it in such a way that is cost effective. Again, nothing innovative here. Samsung saying yes to develop this tablet with these specs is more about the company and/or division than it is about the engineer(s).

Samsung did well with this hw (and time will tell if it is going to compete against the IP2 only considering HW) but these specs will be surpassed soon as the spec war can never have a clear winner, just short term wins in the current never-ending spec battle.

Nevertheless, well done Samsung. Competition is a good thing and according to reviews, you've upped the bar!
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  6.    #26  
    What I think about electronics is, its ok to bring one TP out a year or one phone out a year, but make that phone or tablet the best spec in market that no one has. If somebody came later and upped you, its fine as your specs are pretty damn good for an entire year. But if you start with specs that are already behind, then by the time TP comes out, they would be even further behind. So build one thing in year with the BEST possible specs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    Being thin is not innovative. It's just what Apple and now Samsung are doing. Copying is not innovating. Making it thin to compete is not the same as being innovative. It does have nice specs but that's a different war altogether that no one ever wins.

I agree, nothing innovative about the TP either other than the OS. That's another point. No one is using the Pre, Pixi, etc because of the HW. They use it because of the OS. HTC has great hw but it still has Android (which is still clunky and still has a terrible UI).

Interesting question. However, not having held a TP, it's hard to insert it in this poll. Also, the poll would be biased as the most spec'd out hw would be chosen which is probably the latest one that has been released (Excluding HP because of they are so far behind). Given that information and my experience, I'd choose IP2 followed by the Samsung.
    Given the manufacturing and design hurdles to make a device like a tablet, smartphone, laptop, etc. thin it is innovating. You may not appreciate or see it as innovation, but it certainly is.
    For me, isn't too important how thin tablet is, but for HP is. HP as one of largest IT companies, can draw attention by releasing attractive product. It certainly wouldn't harm HP.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    For me, isn't too important how thin tablet is, but for HP is. HP as one of largest IT companies, can draw attention by releasing attractive product. It certainly wouldn't harm HP.
    So the question is why dont they do it? And why does Samsung do it?
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I don't think that design is in the DNA of HP nearly as much as it is in Apple. Apple obviously thinks of design first over practically everything else. HP seems to focus on design when they feel a competitive need to. Companies like Samsung seem to be good imitators.
    Do you think, H/P is lazy or complacent thats why they dont think of design?
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    Do you think, H/P is lazy or complacent thats why they dont think of design?
    I think the TouchPad is almost a year old hardware design that has been waiting for its software to catch up. I expect the next iteration to be much improved in that department.
    I don't believe that TP is old design waiting for right OS. Simply, Jon and old Palm crew is still designing WebOs devices, and we all know how "Zen" they are.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    I don't believe that TP is old design waiting for right OS. Simply, Jon and old Palm crew is still designing WebOs devices, and we all know how "Zen" they are.
    I believe the TouchPad is the first HP design (as opposed to palm). They had a hardware design and were shooting for an early 2011 release, but waited until June for some reason. Maybe it was a finished, optimized webOS 3.0 and enyo apps. Maybe it was just to have the Veer and Pre3 out (seems unlikely). Maybe it was because they couldn't get any screens. Or, wishful thinking here, maybe it was for some other awesome partner or internal application to be finished.
    I am not sure that we ever answered the opening post question.

The answer is that Samsung is known to have at least 11 phone and tablet design teams who oversee their product groups. But each phone would have it's own lead designer so Samsung would have dozens.

This is why you sometimes see multiple Samsung smartphones come out at the same time. The Charge was delayed to the point where the Galaxy S II's are almost to hit.
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    I am not sure that we ever answered the opening post question.

The answer is that Samsung is known to have at least 11 phone and tablet design teams who oversee their product groups. But each phone would have it's own lead designer so Samsung would have dozens.

This is why you sometimes see multiple Samsung smartphones come out at the same time. The Charge was delayed to the point where the Galaxy S II's are almost to hit.
    Thanks, I guess the culture at Samsung and Apple is very different from the culture at H/P
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Think about how much money Apple makes and then think about the number of products they rely on for that entire amount - basically it's the iPhone, iPad, and some Macs. How important would you consider the iPad to be to Apple? 30% of the company? That's why they are so laser focused on design of every iteration of these devices. The future of the entire company depends on their success.

Can you imagine Apple letting a new smartphone show up in AT&T stores practically unannounced, without training, and have sales people clueless about its existence? I can't imagine they would stand for it. Of course, they even go as far as to build their own stores to sell them.

Ask HP execs about what happened with the Veer launch and they say, well, they've got more products coming i.e. the Veer isn't all that important in and of itself. Medium and Large are coming. And, there's a truck load of stuff that comes in from HP on a weekly basis. They don't seem to mind their most loyal customers walking into a store to see their new phone and being ignored.

That's the difference. What did Steve Jobs say to the CEO of Nike? "Get rid of the crappy stuff".

Steve Jobs: Get Rid of the Crappy Stuff - Carmine Gallo - Your Communications Coach - Forbes
    Just dont understand if you and me know the answer to succeed, then why doesnt a multi billion dollar company know the answer
    Just dont understand if you and me know the answer to succeed, then why doesnt a multi billion dollar company know the answer
    They value success differently. HP isn't a failure, but they've had plenty of products that have failed. Same with Apple, but on a different scale/level.
    Because they think its nothing wrong with TP design.
    Well, talking about the lead hardware designer then must be the same as other companies are bringing up in the market. Sales in the Samsung is rising up at a great rate and leading in the market will sustain until they have the designer.
    HP laptops are last on my list that I'd buy. Go to the typical retail outlets like BBuy, Costco, and Frys... they're usually thick, over-designed with tackiness in mind (shiny everything), and plain ugly. Plus its horrible reliability record doesn't help.

HP needs some help in the hardware design dept. They should steal some designers from Apple, Sammy, or Sony.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast