1.    #1  
    Android Central is reporting that the names for the Galaxy S II phones may have leaked out. The source is pocketnow.

pocketnow that first published these new names in March. pocketnow, AndroidGuys, and others are saying to expect the US Galaxy S II announcement May 24th. This would be similar to the Samsung Galaxy S Launch of the Captivate, Fascinate, Epic 4G, and Vibrant on June 30, 2010.

If Samsung is true to form, the Galaxy S II AT&T Attain 4G, Verizon Function LTE and Sprint Within 4G will then be released on June 7. Samsung tends to release 2 weeks after an announcement and the Galaxy S II is already shipping in the UK and Korea.

Basic specs are:
    4.27" Super AMOLED Plus Display
    033" Thick
    4.21 in³ Total Volume 4.93 x 2.59 x 0.33 (third smallest)
    4.09 ounces
    1.2 GHz Dual core
    1024MB RAM
    16GB Internal plus microSD
    HD Out: HDMI and DLNA
    Camera: 8MP, Autofocus, Dig. Zoom, LED Flash, HD Record 1080p
    Front Camera: 2MP
    Near Field Communication (device to device sharing of apps, URL's, etc.)
    (to connect a USB memory drive, etc.)

A detailed comparison with links is included here:
    Atrix, Thunderbolt and EVO 3D vs. HP Pre 3 and Veer
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 05/16/2011 at 11:19 AM.
    The phone specs sound awesome. But I just can’t get reved up about these big, flat rectangles. The Phonearena review of the GS II even commented on the fact that holding it is awkward.

I’d like to see a 4” version, with just a little bit more effort put into making the front/silhouette a little more original and not a blatant knockoff of the iphone4 shape.

-Suntan
    Yeah, not excited about these devices at all. Great for Android users though, at least they have new devices.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    The phone specs sound awesome. But I just can’t get reved up about these big, flat rectangles.
    +1. The slate is the most uninspired of form factors.

Also: sorry, but these product names are hilariously bad. The carriers are obviously running out of "impressive sounding" adjectives and verbs. The "Function?" "Within?" What?
    So excited for this phone! Definitely going to be my next phone purchase.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    ...Also: sorry, but these product names are hilariously bad. The carriers are obviously running out of "impressive sounding" adjectives and verbs. The "Function?" "Within?" What?
    The downside of having 100 new Android models a year is that you need 100 names a year. The names need to be something that they can trademark and it can't be anything from the past. The names have to work across cultures.

At least it was not a name that would have frightened any male away...
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 05/16/2011 at 06:02 PM.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    this and the pre3 are my next phones......Yes I am a geek and i have 2 phones.
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    See, with WebOS you buy the top end phone for the OS and you're guaranteed to have the top phone for the OS for a couple years.

For Android? maybe 2 weeks...
    Quote Originally Posted by aapold View Post
    See, with WebOS you buy the top end phone for the OS and you're guaranteed to have the top phone for the OS for a couple years.

For Android? maybe 2 weeks...
    So, a constant flow of top-of-the-line hardware is a bad thing?
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    The phone specs sound awesome. But I just can’t get reved up about these big, flat rectangles...
    The body size or Total Volume of the S II is 4.21 in³ = 4.93 x 2.59 x 0.33

The body size or Total Volume of the Veer is 4.20 in³

The Galaxy S II is three times the screen area but almost exactly the same volume in your pocket as a Veer.

If you had a cube of clay 1.3" on each side and squish it down and you could have the shape of a Veer. Keep flattening it out and you could have a Galaxy S II. They are all the same volume.

See the comparison:
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    The body size or Total Volume of the S II is 4.21 in³ = 4.93 x 2.59 x 0.33

The body size or Total Volume of the Veer is 4.20 in³

The Galaxy S II is three times the screen area but almost exactly the same volume in your pocket as a Veer.

If you had a cube of clay 1.3" on each side and squish it down and you could have the shape of a Veer. Keep flattening it out and you could have a Galaxy S II. They are all the same volume.

See the comparison:
    Forgive me, but that's an awful comparison. It's a bit like saying a long strip of receipt paper has the same utility as a page of legal-sized paper because they have the same area.

I carried the Evo for 9 months. I've carried the Veer for two days. Those two days have been heaven. It doesn't dominate my pocket and I can hardly tell it's there. I've actually had to fish around in a few pockets before finding it, more than once.

By contrast, carrying my Evo was like lugging a tablet around. Even something as thin as the new GSII series still has a massive amount of screen area filling all the space in your pocket.

Champion the monster slates all you like, but they don't need defending. The smartphone-buying public has somehow fallen in love with the brick again.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    ... I've carried the Veer for two days. Those two days have been heaven...The smartphone-buying public has somehow fallen in love with the brick again.
    I think that is really the key. HP needs to get people to put their phones in their pockets for a few days to let them see what they think. I still think that the best advertising dollars would be spent with internal store spiffs to let the sales reps win webOS phones. People sell what they know.

Phones are like shoes. You have to try them on and see how they feel to you. No one else can tell you what will feel best to you.

Right now the one phone model that outsells all others is the iPhone 4 with a total volume of 3.83 in³ so a lot of people do not want big phones.
    I find people’s fascination with phone “volume” a bit weird.

I personally favor how the phone fits in your hand, how easy it is to use without fumbling, and how big/small it “appears” when using it or feels in the pants pocket.

On a balance of all those reasons, the GS II loses because it’s too big, but at the same time the veer loses because it’s too small.

YMMV.

-Suntan
    I think we are the only group of people think Samsung Galaxy 2 is too big.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    I think we are the only group of people think Samsung Galaxy 2 is too big.
    Yep.

The Galaxy S II is a great size for me.

Sent from my HTC HD2
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.