1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI. BTW I have contacted them to see if they intend to support webOS.

Please see the link for the balance of the article.

Take care,

Jay

New App to Help Confused Wine Drinkers

By REUTERS, May 16, 2011

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2011/...gewanted=print

TORONTO (Reuters Life!) - A new mobile application allows less-savvy wine consumers to scan bottle bar codes to get instant tasting notes, scores and food pairings.

The free app, called Natalie MacLean Wine Picks & Pairings, works by snapping a picture of any bottle label's bar code to access a database of 150,000 wines at liquor stores across the United States and Canada.

"I know I would have a tough time choosing wines if I weren't tasting them all the time," award-winning Canadian wine writer Natalie MacLean, who launched the app, told Reuters from her home in Ottawa.

"The choice is overwhelming, the confusion is great and intimidation factor is huge, so that's the consumer problem I'm trying to solve with this app."
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    As far as I know, Barcode scanning doesn't work well with our software-mucked up "EDoF" cameras. Thus for any barcode scanning app to work, we have to wait for the Pre3, which has autofocus.

Plus, has Palm/HP released the photo database access APIs yet? About a year ago there was a webOS barcode scanning app that needed to upload barcode pictures to a server and then analyze the photo on the cloud just because of this stupid API restriction. Same with the Switcharoo wallpaper switching app: only the homebrew version can access on-device photos; the app catalog version had to upload photos to a server and then redownload them just to access them.
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    Its all BS anyway. WHen they did a study of wine tasting experts in a blind test they found that the same wine from the same bottle presented twice often had a huge variance in score. Why wine rating is flawed. Bottom line is try wines find ones you like based on whether you like it.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by aapold View Post
    Its all BS anyway. WHen they did a study of wine tasting experts in a blind test they found that the same wine from the same bottle presented twice often had a huge variance in score. Why wine rating is flawed. Bottom line is try wines find ones you like based on whether you like it.
    Hi,

you can't go by me...I having had a wine or any other kind of booze in over 25 years! I just posted it b/c I know other people are interested in wine.

Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group