Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30
  1.    #1  
    Yesterday afternoon my son decided to break my wife's flip phone into two pieces. It wasn't insured or under warranty, and the Sprint rep offered me the full discount (I guess they're offering this to folks as a concession for those who were eligible but lost it with the SP changes)...so we decided to give her my Pixi and I went ahead and got the Nexus 4G.

    I'll say it definitely takes some getting used to. It's cool, though. Very fast, great screen. I've never really played with Android, so there is a bit of a learning curve. It's not quite as user-friendly as webOS, but I'm getting the hang of it.

    The app selection definitely is a HUGE plus. I'm not talking about stupid and pointless apps. I mean certain apps I've been wishing I had for quite some time, like the USAA mobile app for my banking and insurance. Like the Trulia app for home searching. Like Bump, AutoCAD, and yes, Angry Birds Rio.

    Voice calling...so far so good. No complaints on sound quality, from my end or from those I've talked to.

    What I miss?:
    - The keyboard. The virtual keyboard isn't bad, but I do miss the physical one.
    - Cards.
    - Touchstone charging. This is bigger than I realized it would be. I got used to the convenience of just laying the phone down on the magnet.
    - The Facebook App on webOS. A little more user friendly.
    - Flashing LED notifications. Not a deal-breaker by any means, but it was nice to know immediately without hitting the power key that there was a message for me.
    - Not having to pay the $10/month smartphone charge. Now I'll have to pay it for both phones. It'll be interesting to see the bill next month.

    Maybe by the time my next upgrade comes up in a year I will have a webOS phone (or two or three!!!) to choose from. I certainly hope so. While I'm not anti-Android, I'm slightly more pro-webOS and would likely go back if the conditions were right.

    I still plan on checking in here frequently...to feed my envy and keep up to date on webOS since my wife now has my Pixi.
  2. #2  
    Angry Birds Rio is on webOS, there is even a free version...

    Glad you are having a good time
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Angry Birds Rio is on webOS, there is even a free version...

    Glad you are having a good time
    Not for Pixi, last I looked...but that was a week or so ago.
  4. #4  
    Never bought the pixi as my gut sense was that it would be less supported than the pre.

    I'm hanging around even though I have already been due for an upgrade for awhile. These are exciting times for webOS with the TouchPad and Pre3 coming in less than a month, maybe one of them even on Sprint.

    Would never touch a google phone, although would consider apple.
  5. #5  
    Almost always the answer is that there is an app for that. I think that these are most of the Applications you are looking for.

    - The keyboard. Try Swiftkey or one of the other keyboards. Predictions save you from typing.

    - Cards. There are a bunch of card apps listed. But once you get used to the operating system doing the multitasking for you, you may pull them off.

    - Touchstone charging. Check out the Powermat and other options.

    - Flashing LED notifications. Try one of the apps that use your camera LED for notifications.

    Also see the Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android.

    Note that the Samsung Galaxy S II is just being announced on May 24. That might be something to watch. And don't forget the EVO 3D. They have microSD cards, bigger and better displays, dual core, 1024MB RAM, etc.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 05/14/2011 at 02:19 PM.
  6. #6  
    I'm not going to berate you...but it borders on cheating...lol...i have the feeling you will be back...apps it's like a new **** you see...smell.taste..but the longing for the feel and abuse of WebOs will be calling you
  7. #7  
    I am glad you like it. I am still trying to get used to Android on my Epic 4g. I was going to buy a Pre3 but if it doesn't come EVO3D looks like a nice phone (same innards as touchpad).
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Almost always the answer is that there is an app for that. I think that these are most of the Applications you are looking for.

    - The keyboard. Try Swiftkey or one of the other keyboards. Predictions save you from typing.

    - Cards. There are a bunch of card apps listed. But once you get used to the operating system doing the multitasking for you, you may pull them off.

    - Touchstone charging. Check out the Powermat and other options.

    - Flashing LED notifications. Try one of the apps that use your camera LED for notifications.

    Also see the Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android.

    Note that the Samsung Galaxy S II is just being announced on May 24. That might be something to watch. And don't forget the EVO 3D. They have microSD cards, bigger and better displays, dual core, 1024MB RAM, etc.
    That LED thing...got a good example?
  9. aapold's Avatar
    Posts
    292 Posts
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    That's like a propoganda document... much of it is true, but still... when they're trying to tell me that android multitasking is superior to webOS because you don't have to deal with those pesky and annoying cards they kinda lost me. I felt like I was listening to the local announcers for a college football game.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    Yesterday afternoon my son decided to break my wife's flip phone into two pieces. It wasn't insured or under warranty, and the Sprint rep offered me the full discount (I guess they're offering this to folks as a concession for those who were eligible but lost it with the SP changes)...so we decided to give her my Pixi and I went ahead and got the Nexus 4G.

    I'll say it definitely takes some getting used to. It's cool, though. Very fast, great screen. I've never really played with Android, so there is a bit of a learning curve. It's not quite as user-friendly as webOS, but I'm getting the hang of it.

    The app selection definitely is a HUGE plus. I'm not talking about stupid and pointless apps. I mean certain apps I've been wishing I had for quite some time, like the USAA mobile app for my banking and insurance. Like the Trulia app for home searching. Like Bump, AutoCAD, and yes, Angry Birds Rio.

    Voice calling...so far so good. No complaints on sound quality, from my end or from those I've talked to.

    What I miss?:
    - The keyboard. The virtual keyboard isn't bad, but I do miss the physical one.
    - Cards.
    - Touchstone charging. This is bigger than I realized it would be. I got used to the convenience of just laying the phone down on the magnet.
    - The Facebook App on webOS. A little more user friendly.
    - Flashing LED notifications. Not a deal-breaker by any means, but it was nice to know immediately without hitting the power key that there was a message for me.
    - Not having to pay the $10/month smartphone charge. Now I'll have to pay it for both phones. It'll be interesting to see the bill next month.

    Maybe by the time my next upgrade comes up in a year I will have a webOS phone (or two or three!!!) to choose from. I certainly hope so. While I'm not anti-Android, I'm slightly more pro-webOS and would likely go back if the conditions were right.

    I still plan on checking in here frequently...to feed my envy and keep up to date on webOS since my wife now has my Pixi.


    for the led notifications. there is an app called no led in the app store. it works great you should try it out
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post

    Maybe by the time my next upgrade comes up in a year I will have a webOS phone (or two or three!!!) to choose from. I certainly hope so. While I'm not anti-Android, I'm slightly more pro-webOS and would likely go back if the conditions were right.

    I still plan on checking in here frequently...to feed my envy and keep up to date on webOS since my wife now has my Pixi.
    The only problem with that is that you'll also have new android phones to consider. You'll have invested into buying a number of android apps.

    Any new webOS phone will have to be worth losing all those apps or money invested. Or losing compatibility with any other android ecosystem devices you buy.

    So basically, if you leave webOS for iOS or android, you're not as likely to come back.
  12. #12  
    Glad you like it man! If you must leave the Android train, consider a path down the darkside ... With the HTC Arrive and Windows Phone 7. Its been fun for me!
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    That LED thing...got a good example?
    NoLED | AppBrain Android Market
  14. #14  
    you can't compare to the pixi. You need to compare to teh Veer. Veer can run angry birds rio I'm pretty sure.
  15. #15  
    I made the switch to android back in march. I went from a pre plus to a droid 2. While at first I was amazed at the huge catalog, after a while, at least for me, I went back to using my core apps. Facebook, twitter, newsroom, and internet browser. Mulltitasking in my opinion is terrible, webOS is way better and easier. Trying to get a info from the web then trying to copy and paste and send it in a text message was just way too frustrating. Not a bad moblie OS at all just not my favorite. Can't wait till the pre 3 comes out!
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    Tried it...but it didn't work. Changed every setting a few times, but no luck.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by bullonparade85 View Post
    I made the switch to android back in march. I went from a pre plus to a droid 2. While at first I was amazed at the huge catalog, after a while, at least for me, I went back to using my core apps. Facebook, twitter, newsroom, and internet browser. Mulltitasking in my opinion is terrible, webOS is way better and easier. Trying to get a info from the web then trying to copy and paste and send it in a text message was just way too frustrating. Not a bad moblie OS at all just not my favorite. Can't wait till the pre 3 comes out!
    Open web browser
    long press area, select text.
    Copy
    Go to messaging app
    paste
    send
    ?????
    Profit?
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    So basically, if you leave webOS for iOS or android, you're not as likely to come back.
    I would disagree with that.

    The only thing that has kept me in the running for a Pre3 is the fact that I got an Android tablet.

    Now that I have access to Android apps, the lack of apps on WebOS is somewhat easier to accept… Somewhat.

    I don’t need every app under the sun. Just a couple handfuls of good ones. Chances are, unless you’re an app *****, you could replace apps that you had on the old system and are available on the new system for about $20.

    That’s not enough to make me stay with one system or another.

    -Suntan
  19. jwinn35's Avatar
    Posts
    390 Posts
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    #19  
    I have now had android for about 4 months now with an evo. I stand even more firm and my opinion that android is not anywhere near webos in terms of looks or functionality. I so wish I could have webos on my evo, I love the phone but hate the operating system. I have seriously gotten to where I use about 10 apps or so and the rest just take up space. It is nice having the option to access all the apps but even that is just mess. I don't even like opening the app market cause its so ugly and clunky to try and find a app unless you know exactly what app your looking for especially since 99% of any app hitting the market is pretty much garbage. I still have an upgrade on my daughters line cause I just let her have my pre and if sprint gets a pre 3 then my little one might just get her an evo while I slide into a nice pre 3.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post

    What I miss?:
    - Cards.
    - Touchstone charging. This is bigger than I realized it would be. I got used to the convenience of just laying the phone down on the magnet.
    - Flashing LED notifications. Not a deal-breaker by any means, but it was nice to know immediately without hitting the power key that there was a message for me.
    .
    My wife had to get a new phone also and moved from the Pre Plus to an Android phone and she misses the items above also. but she is loving swype
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

    Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions