Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lost my phone last week and grabbed a Nexus S to try out for the 30. The hardware is extremely sweet. I still am not a fan of android(tried the Evo and shipped it back) but the screen and size are perfect on the Nexus S. If the processor was brand spanking new (not 6 months old) and it had webOS on it I would be in love.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    Yesterday afternoon my son decided to break my wife's flip phone into two pieces. It wasn't insured or under warranty, and the Sprint rep offered me the full discount (I guess they're offering this to folks as a concession for those who were eligible but lost it with the SP changes)...so we decided to give her my Pixi and I went ahead and got the Nexus 4G.

I'll say it definitely takes some getting used to. It's cool, though. Very fast, great screen. I've never really played with Android, so there is a bit of a learning curve. It's not quite as user-friendly as webOS, but I'm getting the hang of it.

The app selection definitely is a HUGE plus. I'm not talking about stupid and pointless apps. I mean certain apps I've been wishing I had for quite some time, like the USAA mobile app for my banking and insurance. Like the Trulia app for home searching. Like Bump, AutoCAD, and yes, Angry Birds Rio.

Voice calling...so far so good. No complaints on sound quality, from my end or from those I've talked to.

What I miss?:
    - The keyboard. The virtual keyboard isn't bad, but I do miss the physical one.
    - Cards.
    - Touchstone charging. This is bigger than I realized it would be. I got used to the convenience of just laying the phone down on the magnet.
    - The Facebook App on webOS. A little more user friendly.
    - Flashing LED notifications. Not a deal-breaker by any means, but it was nice to know immediately without hitting the power key that there was a message for me.
    - Not having to pay the $10/month smartphone charge. Now I'll have to pay it for both phones. It'll be interesting to see the bill next month.

Maybe by the time my next upgrade comes up in a year I will have a webOS phone (or two or three!!!) to choose from. I certainly hope so. While I'm not anti-Android, I'm slightly more pro-webOS and would likely go back if the conditions were right.

I still plan on checking in here frequently...to feed my envy and keep up to date on webOS since my wife now has my Pixi.
    Could not agree with you more. Your experience mirrors mine. I am loving the Nexus more than I thought I would. If I may offer you a little help.

-keyboard. you have to try swype. Go to beta.swype.com and download the installer. Puts it on your phone, it works awesome. I'm still not as good as with the physical keyboard but I just dont think it ever will be the same with the virtual keyboard. Bottom line for me, swype is awesome.
    -No LED notification, download NoLED (free) in app market. It uses your screen as a notification. Kind of like a screensaver. Each thing has its own icon. When I get a text for example, a green text icon pops up and moves around the screen like a screen saver.
    -Cards. I have heard there is something called "itchy fingers", but I havent personally missed the cards enough to install it yet. I will in the near future, just to try it out.
    -touchstone charging. Oh how I miss the touchstone. I knew I would and I do. I havent found anything to take its place yet. I will say my battery life averages 13 hours so I dont need it as much as I did with the Pre.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spade View Post
    Could not agree with you more. Your experience mirrors mine. I am loving the Nexus more than I thought I would. If I may offer you a little help.

-keyboard. you have to try swype. Go to beta.swype.com and download the installer. Puts it on your phone, it works awesome. I'm still not as good as with the physical keyboard but I just think it ever will be the same with the virtual keyboard. Bottom line for me, swype is awesome.
    -No LED notification, download NoLED (free) in app market. It uses your screen as a notification. Kind of like a screensaver. Each thing has its own icon. When I get a text for example, a green text icon pops up and moves around the screen like a screen saver.
    -Cards. I have heard there is something called "itchy fingers", but I havent personally missed the cards enough to install it yet. I will in the near future, just to try it out.
    -touchstone charging. Oh how I miss the touchstone. I knew I would and I do. I havent found anything to take its place yet. I will say my battery life averages 13 hours so I dont need it as much as I did with the Pre.
    I did get Swype, and I agree it's nice. Being new to Android...I'm still getting used to the virtual keyboards.

I tried NoLED, but nothing ever popped up...so I'm not sure if it was something I was doing wrong or if the app was messed up somehow. Maybe I'll try again...

Question: have you had any low-bar issues or 4G/wifi connectivity issues? I may be taking mine into Sprint today to ask a rep about it. I am only getting a weak 4G signal when hold the phone up to the window at my house...where I am currently getting 4 or 5 bars on my CLEAR modem normally. Same deal here at work. I'm also unable to connect to wifi...keeps trying, but the connection doesn't 'stick'.

Question #2: Is there anything harmful in using my old Palm charger cord to charge the Nexus? It uses the same micro usb connector, but obviously the transformer is not the same.
    Question #2: Is there anything harmful in using my old Palm charger cord to charge the Nexus? It uses the same micro usb connector, but obviously the transformer is not the same.
    No, you're fine. 5VDC is 5VDC regardless of the USB charger you get it from.

-Suntan
    You can not only use the cable - but you should be fine using the ac adapter as well. Any phone charged via USB should work with the Palm chargers and cables.
    Buy Swiftkey for your keyboard needs. You'll get a trial then you'll have to upgrade after it's over, but it was worth it for me to buy it.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwinn35 View Post
    I have now had android for about 4 months now with an evo. I stand even more firm and my opinion that android is not anywhere near webos in terms of looks or functionality. I so wish I could have webos on my evo, I love the phone but hate the operating system. I have seriously gotten to where I use about 10 apps or so and the rest just take up space. It is nice having the option to access all the apps but even that is just mess. I don't even like opening the app market cause its so ugly and clunky to try and find a app unless you know exactly what app your looking for especially since 99% of any app hitting the market is pretty much garbage. I still have an upgrade on my daughters line cause I just let her have my pre and if sprint gets a pre 3 then my little one might just get her an evo while I slide into a nice pre 3.
    That's not true about the apps. I found many useful apps just on the "Featured" and front page alone. There are also apps with duplicate functions but they are not junk. The new "Related" functions works well for sorting through duplicate function apps.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Tried it...but it didn't work. Changed every setting a few times, but no luck.
    Took me a few days of fiddling with the settings in NoLed, but it does work on NS4G.
    I completely agree with your assessment. The physical keyboard is definitely something I miss. However, Swiftkey3 keyboard is pretty good as it learns and provides words ahead of your typing to complete the word, this makes it pretty fast to actually type. Voice typing is also nice.

I have the Galaxy SII Epic 4g Touch with Sprint, but rooted the system so that I installed the Google OS (Nexus) version so that I can have the ability to configure things myself.

Nova Launcher is a big plus with the number of shortcuts you can put in the slider bar and if you want to load the screen up too.
    I however am missing the bar gestures, forward and backwards. The Samsung only has a backwards button.
    I do miss the card view and having it in the background, though I am getting used to the holding home button down to get to the minimized applications.

Apps which you have to get:
    Astro File Manager
    Nova Launcher
    Titanium Backup
    Visual Voicemail
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    i had swiftkey then switched to swype and never looked back. I updated to swiftkey 3 since it was available for free to those who previously bought swiftkey but have not given a shot.

I am jjust so used to swiping my finger now it feels slow to actually type now
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12