Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Android 0-click NFC sharing demonstrated in Ice Cream Sandwich (video) -- Engadget

It looks like android is getting their TTS share too, that will include youtube etc and API for developers.
    They don't even have to touch technically. Very cool. Now they need NFC tablets and phones out. HP can still has a lead with two phones and a tablet TTS ready.

I am excited about the future!

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    The problem is HP didn't use the NFC standard from what I understand. This means once again they are behind the curve before they leave the gate. There's already Android and Blackberry phones out with NFC chips, and I wouldn't doubt Apple jumping on the NFC bandwagon next. That means sometime after you'll see some form of TTS between said platforms and payments at NFC enabled merchants. Yes webOS will have a jump start with the tech but will soon be left behind by a more universal tech backed by the 3 largest OS's and a slew of merchant companies.
    Yet another instance of webOS innovations being cloned...

But when webOS does something another platform did first, it's a shameless boring copycat. When another platform does something webOS did first, the other platform is only smart and competitive while webOS sucks because it doesn't have something unique anymore. When webOS has features no other platform has (just type) those features are obviously stupid. When another platform has features webOS doesn't have, webOS is obviously stupid. Nothing new at all.

Except webOS 3 will apparently ship in about a month's time while Ice Cream Sandwich will only become available "in the coming months" - that's a joke, right? Right guys? Why did they even announce it then, right? What a huge FAIL to announce versions and features when they're not ready to ship, right?
    And with all the gleaming reviews of Honeycomb ("unfinished"; "imperfect"; "flawed") it's clear and obvious that ICS is gonna be fabulous and without any issues, right?

At least it's a given that all current and announced Android 3.0 tablets will get 3.1, right? Android has a brilliant history of every device getting the next minor software update, right guys? Guys?
    I "Thanked" you for the humor. I visualize you literally SCREAMING that at the screen!!

lol
    When HP anounced TP with TTS, we already knew some sort of TTS wil come to Android soon, because of NFC implementation in some Android devices. What we saw from HP, for now they mannaged web links share via TTS. Google demoed much broader use of NFC so it cant be called TTS copy.

HP will switch to NFC in some point, maybe with TP-II, if NFC becomes widely accepted.
    yeah to me this dosent mean much, we all know comp will take from each other. It comes down to how well that feature is executed, and right now with all the clones out there (this one, playbook) Webos still does it better. So everyone should be flattered, not worried.
    Is anyone surprised? Yet again (HP) Palm announce a 'killer' feature or bit of 'innovation' and in the huge delay in getting the actual products to market competitors either copy or improve on it. This continuing sorry cycle is why webOS will always struggle for marketshare. It is bad enough that webOS has lagged behind in hardware and applications but when you continually help to improve your rivals what chance do you have?
    From those mythical lands beyond the great USA...

It is a convergence device not mankind's disc/filmography.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teso Dos Bichos View Post
    Is anyone surprised? Yet again (HP) Palm announce a 'killer' feature or bit of 'innovation' and in the huge delay in getting the actual products to market competitors either copy or improve on it. This continuing sorry cycle is why webOS will always struggle for marketshare. It is bad enough that webOS has lagged behind in hardware and applications but when you continually help to improve your rivals what chance do you have?
    Do you REALLY believe that Google just heard of this concept at the HP event and thought "cool idea" and then rushed to get this implemented into future updates and devices?

Then, they quickly cobbled together this demo.......ALL starting from no idea of this feature to demonstration based upon seeing HP's TTS event?

Doubtful.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee2001 View Post
    Do you REALLY believe that Google just heard of this concept at the HP event and thought "cool idea" and then rushed to get this implemented into future updates and devices?

Then, they quickly cobbled together this demo.......ALL starting from no idea of this feature to demonstration based upon seeing HP's TTS event?

Doubtful.
    Exactly. HPalm didn't invent NFC...
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee2001 View Post

Doubtful.
    <<staff edit>> The fundamental point I made was that yet again (HP) Palm chose to run their collective mouth about a feature, neglected to actually release the product and now rivals have jumped on it. Who thought of it first or who was working on it behind the scenes is an irrelevance. The fact remains that yet again a key feature which differentiated webOS has now been lost before a single product has been sold. How do (HP) Palm expect to increase marketshare when they continue to 'innovate' for rivals? Their inaction will always leave them one step behind and give consumers little reason to chose webOS.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 05/11/2011 at 10:56 AM. Reason: removed insulting comment

I thought TTS was just a gimmick feature, I never considered as main key feature. You can only do TTS with TouchPad. How many people do you think will buy both webOS phone and TouchPad just because it can TTS, not many.
    <<staff edit>> The fundamental point I made was that yet again (HP) Palm chose to run their collective mouth about a feature, neglected to actually release the product and now rivals have jumped on it. Who thought of it first or who was working on it behind the scenes is an irrelevance. The fact remains that yet again a key feature which differentiated webOS has now been lost before a single product has been sold. How do (HP) Palm expect to increase marketshare when they continue to 'innovate' for rivals?
    It doesn't matter. NFC existed way before Feb 9th...
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 05/11/2011 at 10:56 AM. Reason: fixed quote
    "Don't play dumb."

Who's playing?..................................wait!

"The fact remains that yet again a key feature which differentiated webOS has now been lost before a single product has been sold. How do (HP) Palm expect to increase marketshare when they continue to 'innovate' for rivals?"

And, I say they did NOT "innovate" for their rivals. The rivals were working on this all along. In fact, HP got SOME pub by announcing / demoing it first. If they waited until release (by the way, the features shown by Android are NOT active now, either) then HP would have simply been "copying" the other guys.

It is a no win situation. If we new nothing about TTS right now, we would be whining about 'why does android get this feature and HP is sitting on their thumbs' and when it DID come out, we'd all be saying ' *yawn * Android had this and HP is just playing catch-up'
    The simple win situation, which everyone knows, is to announce then release. That gives you a window of opportunity where you have a product available that your rivals cannot match or better. Unfortunately HP is continuing the same tired Palm mistakes. As for TTS itself it is the main feature talked about or displayed in the media. HP made it a big thing. Now it is the 'norm' and one differentiating feature has been lost before a single device has been sold. Another opportunity lost.

Every day that ticks by without release of these devices, is another day lost. Had HP released the TouchPad/TTS a month ago, everyone would be 'ooing' and 'ahhing' over the webOS card system, not over the PlayBook. And everyone would have TTS in their mind before Google showed this off.

Now, it will be that HP copied BB and Google, due to webOS not being widely known. It's fine by me, but not good for HP. They need to be 'original'. Just can't wait for when I have my TouchPad in the airport and someone asks me if it's the 10-inch PlayBook
    The simple win situation, which everyone knows, is to announce then release. That gives you a window of opportunity where you have a product available that your rivals cannot match or better. Unfortunately HP is continuing the same tired Palm mistakes. As for TTS itself it is the main feature talked about or displayed in the media. HP made it a big thing. Now it is the 'norm' and one differentiating feature has been lost before a single device has been sold. Another opportunity lost.
    though people he does have a point. HP like Palm before does tend to drop the ball when it comes to new feature that their comp later takes up by not releasing a product that supports such feature. To me it would even be better that HP dosent mention what their products can do, until maybe a month before the product is released. That way when they do mention specific features they will not only be fresh in peoples minds, it will be available sooner then later.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    though people he does have a point. HP like Palm before does tend to drop the ball when it comes to new feature that their comp later takes up by not releasing a product that supports such feature. To me it would even be better that HP dosent mention what their products can do, until maybe a month before the product is released. That way when they do mention specific features they will not only be fresh in peoples minds, it will be available sooner then later.
    The only difference is perception. Announcing later would not have made the TTS or the TP come sooner. Nor would it have delayed Google from developing and announcing their version. The only difference would be the perception that HP swooped in and copied Google before they were able to bring it to market.

I'm not really sure which is better, and further more, this perception only exists in well informed tech people, who presumably know better (that both companies had been developing this technology independently of each other for a long long time).

(at least i assumed that people would know better....sigh)
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    The only difference is perception. Announcing later would not have made the TTS or the TP come sooner. Nor would it have delayed Google from developing and announcing their version. The only difference would be the perception that HP swooped in and copied Google before they were able to bring it to market.

I'm not really sure which is better, and further more, this perception only exists in well informed tech people, who presumably know better (that both companies had been developing this technology independently of each other for a long long time).

(at least i assumed that people would know better....sigh)
    I think you dont understand my point, of course stating a feature later dosent make the TP come sooner, you lost me on that point. What Im sayin is if they knew as they do that the touchpad for instance isnt coming until June, then the Feb event show off the touchpad, with things we all know about then in may show the touch to share feature and other features that we dont know about, and release it the following month. It dosent matter who has it first, what Im saying is its hard to deliever your product when you show off a feature then inbetween the time of its launch months later, your compeitiors show off a similar feature. It makes your device and feature not so grand anymore. Even if they announced that feature after Google the difference would be that HP is up to date with the times in terms of technology, thats what your missing. Palm did it with annoucing the pre 5 months before the release, killing off the hype by the time it reached the market. This is what companys like Apple has done for years announce a new feature then release the product within 30 days. IMO thats what Palm and now HP are fumbling the ball with understand.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    I think you dont understand my point, of course stating a feature later dosent make the TP come sooner, you lost me on that point. What Im sayin is if they knew as they do that the touchpad for instance isnt coming until June, then the Feb event show off the touchpad, with things we all know about then in may show the touch to share feature and other features that we dont know about, and release it the following month. It dosent matter who has it first, what Im saying is its hard to deliever your product when you show off a feature then inbetween the time of its launch months later, your compeitiors show off a similar feature. It makes your device and feature not so grand anymore. Even if they announced that feature after Google the difference would be that HP is up to date with the times in terms of technology, thats what your missing. Palm did it with annoucing the pre 5 months before the release, killing off the hype by the time it reached the market. This is what companys like Apple has done for years announce a new feature then release the product within 30 days. IMO thats what Palm and now HP are fumbling the ball with understand.
    isn't it better to lose a little momentum (because a competitor announced a similar feature in the interim) than to not have any momentum in the first place (because you are announcing a new product without any new features at all)?

Doesn't HP have an opportunity to be the first to actual put products with these features in the customers hands?

Again these are perception issues that few customers are even aware of. Most people don't know Google held an event, and have no idea what wen't on their.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast