Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    I guess with the above time line this threads done.
    I bet not.

The interesting thing is that HP and Google are both Sponsor Members of the NFC standards group. 16 months ago the NFC finally ratified the standard for the peer-to-peer stack. At that time the NFC standards committee specifically listed transferring website URLs, contacts, and initiating Bluetooth links as peer-to-peer uses.

It took Google this long to implement the NFC peer-to-peer standard...a standard that HP voted for 16 months ago...

If you read through the NFC standards from the past few years this is really just the tip of the iceberg.

By this summer you can expect to see Facebook add NFC so that you could touch phones to "Friend" each other. Foursquare showed NFC at Google I/O too. You will be able to touch phones and start playing a game.

So many incredibly cool things have been talked about forever.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 05/14/2011 at 03:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    I thought TTS was just a gimmick feature, I never considered as main key feature. You can only do TTS with TouchPad. How many people do you think will buy both webOS phone and TouchPad just because it can TTS, not many.
    is NFC sharing not also a gimmick feaure then.. ?
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    is NFC sharing not also a gimmick feaure then.. ?
    For now, maybe, but I think it has far more potential than Touch To Share just by virtue of being a standard. Being able to pay for my coffee at Starbucks by waving my phone seems far more useful than tapping my phone and my tablet together to copy a url.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    is NFC sharing not also a gimmick feature then.. ?
    There were not many NFC devices from 2004 until the Nexus S last year and not much to share.

All of the basic Google apps will have NFC for peer-to-peer tap to share this year:

Contacts: Swap business cards or transfer someone else's info
    Gmail: Transfer an email
    Messaging: Use NFC to forward a text that might include a photo or video
    Google Maps: Transfer a map or address you are looking at or have saved
    Google Docs: Share a doc, xls, ppt, or other files
    Camera/Gallery: Share a photo or video you just took or saved
    Google Browser: Share a page you are looking at
    Google YouTube: Share a video you are watching, right from the spot you left off

An app that already has a Share feature could share without a click if the phones have NFC. All Google apps and almost every major 3rd party app already let you share.

Google has made it so simple to incorporate NFC into apps that there is no reason for any developer not to add NFC at least to share the app. The NFC API's were first released last year and have been updated several times. As one reviewer pointed out adding a feature to Friend someone with NFC would be just as easy to add.

There are maybe a million Nexus S and Nexus s 4G but Samsung has promised investors that it will ship 10 million Galaxy S II's this year. All have NFC.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 05/15/2011 at 08:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    There were not many NFC devices from 2004 until the Nexus S last year and not much to share.

All of the basic Google apps will have NFC for peer-to-peer tap to share this year:

Contacts: Swap business cards or transfer someone else's info
    Email: Transfer an email
    Messaging: Use NFC to forward a text that might include a photo or video
    Maps: Transfer a map or address you are looking or have saved
    Docs: Share a doc, xls, ppt, or other files
    Camera/Gallery: Share a photo or video you just took or saved
    Browser: Share a page you are looking at
    YouTube: Share a video you are watching, right from the spot you left off

An app that already has a Share feature could share without a click if the phones have NFC. All Google apps and almost every major 3rd party app already let you share.

Google has made it very easy to incorporate NFC into apps. It is so simple, there is no reason for any developer not to add NFC at least to share the app. The NFC API's were first released last year and have been updated several times. As one reviewer pointed out adding a feature to Friend someone with NFC would be just as easy to add.

There are maybe a million Nexus S and Nexus s 4G but Samsung has promised investors that it will ship 10 million Galaxy S II's this year. All have NFC.
    Question: Theoretically speaking, would that mean a non Android device using the NFC standard, could share with an Android device?
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Question: Theoretically speaking, would that mean a non Android device using the NFC standard, could share with an Android device?
    Good question. Yes this is coming but right now only Android devices have demonstrated the peer-to-peer standards. As you would expect, you may not be able to share an app or something OS specific. You should be able to share a photo, song, message, event, money, friend, payment, or contact as Bump already does between iPhone and Android devices. In fact different OS devices could be able to even share an app as long as the same app is in the recipient phone's market as well. You really don't share the app, just where to get it in the app market.

The devices would have to follow the NFC standard that all the members have agreed to. It's like how a Bluetooth keyboard does not have to be made by the company who manufactured the phone. They just have to follow the Bluetooth standards in that case.

NFC will do for device-to-device connectivity what Bluetooth did for device-to-accessory connectivity. Apple will make people think Apple invented NFC when the next iPhone comse out.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 05/15/2011 at 08:39 PM.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123