Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Just to be clear....Android does NOT have this feature yet, either.

They are only announcing what will be a feature at some point in the future.

Neither "team" has the feature (in the hands of consumers) it has announced will eventually be available.

Timeline is more like:

webOS ANNOUNCES TTS (future)

Android announces 0-click (future)

*possible...even likely*

webOS makes TTS available to the consumer

Android makes 0-click available to the consumer
    understand that what is going to put HP apart from Google, IOS, and WP7 is how they handle the OS (cards). Other features like TTS, NFC, expandable storage, FF cam etc are just bells and whistles. When HP announces something that their devices can do that at a paticular time no other devices are doing they need to have the product ready ASAP. They cant delay and allow compeitiors to captialize on it, by announcing a similar feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    isn't it better to lose a little momentum (because a competitor announced a similar feature in the interim) than to not have any momentum in the first place (because you are announcing a new product without any new features at all)?

Doesn't HP have an opportunity to be the first to actual put products with these features in the customers hands?

Again these are perception issues that few customers are even aware of. Most people don't know Google held an event, and have no idea what wen't on their.
    no because momentum is what makes the difference between a million sales, and a few thousand. Look at other industrys like the one im in (music) if I announce that Im making a track, and say it will be a whole new concept, and people rave about, but I dont release the track for another 6 months meanwhile another artist drops a simliar concept it destroys my momentum, as well as my sales once I drop the track. Momentum is everything in the sales world believe me, and as for the Event I can almost guranntee everyone knew about, let alone every main site like engagdet, laptopmag and BGR had a half dozen individual post about each section.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    no because momentum is what makes the difference between a million sales, and a few thousand. Look at other industrys like the one im in (music) if I announce that Im making a track, and say it will be a whole new concept, and people rave about, but I dont release the track for another 6 months meanwhile another artist drops a simliar concept it destroys my momentum, as well as my sales once I drop the track. Momentum is everything in the sales world believe me, and as for the Event I can almost guranntee everyone knew about, let alone every main site like engagdet, laptopmag and BGR had a half dozen individual post about each section.
    we are talking in circles.
    lol we def are
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Yet another instance of webOS innovations being cloned...

But when webOS does something another platform did first, it's a shameless boring copycat. When another platform does something webOS did first, the other platform is only smart and competitive while webOS sucks because it doesn't have something unique anymore. When webOS has features no other platform has (just type) those features are obviously stupid. When another platform has features webOS doesn't have, webOS is obviously stupid. Nothing new at all.

Except webOS 3 will apparently ship in about a month's time while Ice Cream Sandwich will only become available "in the coming months" - that's a joke, right? Right guys? Why did they even announce it then, right? What a huge FAIL to announce versions and features when they're not ready to ship, right?
    And with all the gleaming reviews of Honeycomb ("unfinished"; "imperfect"; "flawed") it's clear and obvious that ICS is gonna be fabulous and without any issues, right?

At least it's a given that all current and announced Android 3.0 tablets will get 3.1, right? Android has a brilliant history of every device getting the next minor software update, right guys? Guys?
    +1

Being first to market with new technology or updated versions of your devices and OS does not always mean success.

I feel confident that "in the coming months” really means, let’s get our sh** together before we roll it out. I am confident that webOS 3.0 will be a more polished updated OS with hardware than all these "desserts" served up by Google.

Yes.

And the android circles are better and more feature rich than the webOS circles. Even though webOS announced their circles would be coming BEFORE android announced.

HP should save all "closed loop" geometric shape announcements to themselves until they have a shape ready for market!!

ETA: and, if Sprint does NOT get this circle...I AM LEAVING THEM FOR GOOD!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee2001 View Post
    Yes.

And the android circles are better and more feature rich than the webOS circles. Even though webOS announced their circles would be coming BEFORE android announced.

HP should save all "closed loop" geometric shape announcements to themselves until they have a shape ready for market!!
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee2001 View Post
    Yes.

ETA: and, if Sprint does NOT get this circle...I AM LEAVING THEM FOR GOOD!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    +1
    By reading the FCC documents, the Pre-3 is going to be a world phone on Verizon.
    About this subject, we have a pratical example:

=> The Apple was the last to launch a Tablet this year, but was the first to begin the sell - Same having only half dozen to sell, and is begining to sell in ROW.

Until now, we only can buy webOS devices in... what? Six? Eight countries?
    And the HP told nothing about spread the new devices...

The world is not only to the best, is to the faster, too...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    You can be late if you use an industry standard.

HP can't be late because they use a proprietary standard.
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    You can be late if you use an industry standard.

HP can't be late because they use a proprietary standard.
    Numbers? Examples? Doesn't have to be Rim or HP related, just curious to what your reference is.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Things like Nike+ipod which uses a bluetooth-ish proprietary protocol that competes with bluetooth low energy.
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    Things like Nike+ipod which uses a bluetooth-ish proprietary protocol that competes with bluetooth low energy.
    If this is the answer to my above question, sorry I don't follow your line of thought, could you elaborate?
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    About this subject, we have a pratical example:

=> The Apple was the last to launch a Tablet this year, but was the first to begin the sell - Same having only half dozen to sell, and is begining to sell in ROW.

Until now, we only can buy webOS devices in... what? Six? Eight countries?
    And the HP told nothing about spread the new devices...

The world is not only to the best, is to the faster, too...

Best Regards...
    For the Scandinavians I suspect it will be like the wait for the Pre. Presented in january, launched in october. Atleast this time we might be able to buy it directly from a local dealer instead importing it from Germany.

Noticed that some already imported the Playbook, it got hdmi out and can play video on your plasma while you surf.

I will get a new webos phone but no pad until video out.
    For the Scandinavians I suspect it will be like the wait for the Pre. Presented in january, launched in october. Atleast this time we might be able to buy it directly from a local dealer instead importing it from Germany.
    Well, our situation in Brazil is terrible: we are the only big country that has passed for global crisis without problem, we pay HIGH for all electronics here (our IPod, IPhones, Big Mac and other things are the most expensive in world! Serious), the Foxconn gonna install the first display factory in ocident here ($ 20 Bi), the IPhones and IPads gonna be manufactured here, our economy is only grows less than China... but the HP continue do ignore us.

And more, We have a incredible credit system, that happen is able to sell until sand in desert...

Best Regards...
    Last edited by Rnp; 05/12/2011 at 12:40 PM.
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teso Dos Bichos View Post
    Is anyone surprised? Yet again (HP) Palm announce a 'killer' feature or bit of 'innovation' and in the huge delay in getting the actual products to market competitors either copy or improve on it.
    Proximity Transfer Timeline
    • Prior to 2004 many proximity transfer patents but no mobile device plans
    • Jan 2004 NFC formalized - plans announced for mobile devices
    • Feb 2006 Nokia 6131 is the first NFC phone
    • Mar 2009
    • Jan 2010 NFC Peer-to-Peer Standards to transfer contact, URL, initiate Bluetooth, etc.
    • Sep 2010 BlackBerry phone tethering announced, rebranded as BlackBerry Bridge at CES 2011.
    • Nov 2010 November interview Android NFC first shown
    • Dec 2010 December interview Google gives plans-1st Android NFC phone
    • Feb 9, 2011 Third NFC upgrade in Android 2.3.3 - HP Announces TTS.
    • Mar 2011 Second Android NFC phone ships: Nexus S 4G
    • Apr 2011 BlackBerry Bridge released
    • Apr 2011 Third Android NFC phone ships: Samsung Galaxy S II
    • May 2011 Fourth Android NFC upgrade announced

So far Google has demonstrated NFC transferring a contact, app, URL, and video mid-stream. But Google still has far to go to fulfill the vision formalized by others in 2004.

Almost two years before Android NFC, Bump launched in 2009 and transfers contacts, songs, messages, photos, events, money, friends, and apps between iPhone, iPad, iPod, and Android devices.

On February 9, 2011, (HP) Palm announced TTS the same morning that Google was releasing it's third update to Android NFC.

None of them have fulfilled the vision from 2004 yet, but Bump, NFC, Bridge, and TTS will inevitably gain the full feature-set over time.

The one to really watch in this is Apple. They have almost as many NFC patents as Google.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 05/13/2011 at 11:42 AM.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    total genius.....show off features 7 months before they hit stores. that way your competition is sure to copy and beat you to the punch.....go hp!.
    Quote Originally Posted by bignoze View Post
    total genius.....show off features 7 months before they hit stores. that way your competition is sure to copy and beat you to the punch.....go hp!.
    On February 9, 2011, HP first announced Touch to Share and showed transferring a website URL. The first reference I can find to Touch to Share was this January 19, 2011 engadget article where it is called Tap To Share.

Four months earlier, BlackBerry first announced phone tethering on September 27, 2010 but then/rebranded it as BlackBerry Bridge at CES 2011, on January 7, 2011. BlackBerry Bridge allows the Playbook to share BlackBerry Messenger, Bridge BCowser, Calendar, Contacts, MemoPad, Messages, and Tasks with a BlackBerry phone.

A year before that, the NFC Peer-to-Peer Standards were finalized in January, 2010, for the transfer of contacts, website URL, etc. or to pair Bluetooth devices nearly instantaneously. The NFC first detailed "device-to-device" functionality in 2005 but it took 4 years before final standards were adopted. HP become a NFC Sponsor Member in 2006.

In 2009, Bump was launched in March 2009. Bump transfers contacts, songs, messages, photos, events, money, friends, and apps between iPhone, iPad, iPod, and Android devices.

The NFC standards committee copied TTS years before TTS was announced? Then HP became a Sponsor Member of the NFC?
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 05/13/2011 at 03:04 PM.
    I guess with the above time line this threads done.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 05/13/2011 at 05:06 PM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast