35 67.31%
  • HP will replace WebOS with Android

8 15.38%
  • There is room for only 3 OS and they Android, Windows 7 and iOS

9 17.31%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    I am seriously worried about the future of WebOS.

The way Google is shaping up is scary to say at the least, Apple will remain Apple and Microsoft have lots of money.
    Do you really think except for these 3 is there room for any other OS like WebOS and RIM.

I seriously don't know what WebOS is doing. Veer is a nice idea but they should have released atleast 4 to 5 phone till now.

Don't tell it is difficult to produce phone, Samsung releases 2 phones a month.

HP could have two separate departments, 1 for developing WebOS and the other manufacturing phones.

Right now only think lacking for Google and Apple is a dedicated Corporate model, when they crack this one I don't see how RIM(as they are king in this) and HP( they are not far behind) will even survive in this business.

HP can switch to Android but RIM will lose it edge. And anyways for HP $1.2 billion loss could be peanuts and they could switch to Android very easily.
    So What is all your guys opinion on this topic.
    after I saw Microsoft spend 8.5 billion dollar on Skype, 1.2 billion is really nothing to the big corporation. Because of the pride of HP, I doubt they will just dump webOS if they don't see any grow or market increase. However, they can still use the webOS on stuffs like printer, and jump on android or future Microsoft OS for their tablet line.
    This is a dumb poll IMO, I'm not voting.

1. There is not 'only room for three', there will never be 'only room for three'

2. HP will not replace WebOS with Android

Those two options alone dig under my skin..

..and there is no option for 'WebOS isn't strong enough to make it' or 'HP can't do it'?
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

I vote it will stagnate for a while. I know it's not on the poll but that's how I see it. TouchPad and Pre 3 are it's last hope. Unless it becomes a printer OS(not ideal IMO though). I honestly don't see the Veer helping it.

P.S. This is only for the near future. A year from now, who knows? It will depend on the TouchPad and Pre 3.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 05/10/2011 at 03:44 PM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    HP makes millions of laptops and PC's a year. Why do they need to pay a $20 to $100 fee for each unit to Microsoft? What does Windows do that webOS cannot do?

A PC or a laptop is your browser, email, Facebook, YouTube, movies, music, Word, Excel, PowerPoint...just like your phone.

Google Docs is quickly taking on all the features of Microsoft Office and is already just a browser function easy to wrap up into a webOS app. HP is already moving towards Google Cloud Print. There is no reason for HP to pay the Windows tax now that HP bought webOS.

Reread what then CEO Mark Hurd said about this. We freaked when we first read this headline in PreCentral but a year later it makes more sense:

HP CEO: 'We didn't buy Palm to be in the smartphone business'
    Hurd continued 'We didn't buy Palm to be in the smartphone business. And I tell people that, but it doesn't seem to resonate well.'
    Spending $1.2B to be number 5 in smartphones is not the same as buying an OS to save yourself from paying an estimated $400M a year for Windows.

And then suddenly there are 10 million reasons a year to develop for webOS. The obstacle is that they have Michael Scott of Dunder-Mifflin in charge of webOS. Get it out from under Jon and all is suddenly possible.

How many laptops, netbooks, desktops, or printers were Android or webOS last year? None.

How many could there be next year? Any of them. No one cares what the OS is, just that it has all the apps that can do everything you want.

Remember "Thin Client"? That was just "Cloud" before it was ready.

So in answer to your question, "What will be future of HP WebOS?"

Laptops, netbooks, desktops, printers, and smartphones.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 05/10/2011 at 04:23 PM.
    I'm still amazed that the koreans started building cars. There isn't room for more than 3 countries to dominate the car market. The germans/americans/japanese have it locked up. People have already bought millions of cars.

even mid-market american cars have bluetooth music/phone sync and apps that will automatically park the car.

can someone call those crazy koreans at Hundai and tell them they aren't really making a profit or selling all those cars because they came to the market so late?

thanks!
    ps, until you REALLY give the Veer a try... Hush.

it will grow on you if you let it.
    I think the notion of webOS becoming a PC platform is interesting but there are a lot of things Windows can do that webOS can't. Like running Office. Or being standardized across the enterprise. Or playing games. Or interacting with just about any device you would want to plug into your computer.

webOS could make for a nice lightweight netbook OS (a la Chrome) but when you start to do more than just email and web browsing, you'll run into the same problems that plague webOS on mobiles -- only on a much larger scale.
    I think I've discussed this in circles before and the conclusion I've come to is that WebOS will run side by side integrated with Windows......sigh
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    can someone call those crazy koreans at Hundai and tell them they aren't really making a profit or selling all those cars because they came to the market so late?
    A lot of those Korean and Japanese government policies are for "national building" purposes --- these big Asian conglomerates are in 100 different businesses and they shouldn't be in 90% of them. You end up with Toyoda owning a bunch of hotels and Sony owning an online bank.
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    I think I've discussed this in circles before and the conclusion I've come to is that WebOS will run side by side integrated with Windows......sigh
    I think Rubinstein has flat out said that's how it's going to work -- they're just going to turn webOS into a Windows application, similar to how the current webOS emulator works (only, I'm assuming, not sandboxed).
    ps, until you REALLY give the Veer a try... Hush.

it will grow on you if you let it.
    You know what else will grow on you if you let it?

..... Mold!
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    I love WebOS and my next phone could be Pre 3 or Pre 2, whichever is unlocked and comes at a decent price, but I am more afraid of Android than iOS.

Apple releases one phone at a time while Android are released every second day.
    Will Pre3 or Veer get lost in this crowd.

Btw I am also saving up for Touchpad, which I think will seriously rock. The advantage of multi tasking shows up in big screen and Touchpad will surely rock.

If Touchpad succeed we can surely say WebOS has a future. Btw I read on PreCentral touchpad and Pre 3 releasing in june that is definitely good news.
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    A lot of those Korean and Japanese government policies are for "national building" purposes --- these big Asian conglomerates are in 100 different businesses and they shouldn't be in 90% of them. You end up with Toyoda owning a bunch of hotels and Sony owning an online bank.
    I think you missed my point. The fact is that people buy more than one car in their lifetime, and the koreans are VERY successful in a market they came to very late. And there is room for many brands in the car market, just as there is in the mobile device market...
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    You know what else will grow on you if you let it?

..... Mold!
    Just call me Berd.
    I think you missed my point. The fact is that people buy more than one car in their lifetime, and the koreans are VERY successful in a market they came to very late. And there is room for many brands in the car market, just as there is in the mobile device market...
    Interesting, however there flaw in your car analogy. Anyone can make smartphone but how many developer will support more than 3 os. As you know, no developer support, no future on the mobile os. Let's say if you ask Honda to make gm, Toyota, Hyundai, Mazda and Nissan car at the sometime, and they all have different spec and size. Honda can not possibly built all of them. They probably have to pick couple of best selling brand and make the car, more profitable that way.
    Back to smartphone. It's really hard for a developer or a software company to support so many different platform. They have to pick the most profitable platform and support.

Sent from Tapatalk
    You are overthinking it. Goodyear supports all of them. So does Exxon. The point is that people will buy more than one smartphone in their life, so everyone with android or iphone today is a potential webOS customer.
    You are overthinking it. Goodyear supports all of them. So does Exxon. The point is that people will buy more than one smartphone in their life, so everyone with android or iphone today is a potential webOS customer.
    Good point. Hehe.

Sent from Tapatalk
    I posted this the other day: http://m.forums.precentral.net/hp-pa...p-s-webos.html
    It sounds like if developers are developing for iOS and Android, it may not be that difficult to port to webOS.
    I'm still amazed that the koreans started building cars. There isn't room for more than 3 countries to dominate the car market. The germans/americans/japanese have it locked up. People have already bought millions of cars.

even mid-market american cars have bluetooth music/phone sync and apps that will automatically park the car.

thanks!

You forget one point, they are cheapest available cars, gives good mileage an important factor now a days. WebOS devices are not cheapest models out there, what they are are really old models.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast