• It will survive and grow

35 67.31%
  • HP will replace WebOS with Android

8 15.38%
  • There is room for only 3 OS and they Android, Windows 7 and iOS

9 17.31%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    You forget one point, they are cheapest available cars, gives good mileage an important factor now a days. WebOS devices are not cheapest models out there, what they are are really old models.
    Refer to Post #17 above. I am claiming a new meme: You are overthinking it.
    Quote Originally Posted by KAPS View Post
    I love WebOS and my next phone could be Pre 3 or Pre 2, whichever is unlocked and comes at a decent price, but I am more afraid of Android than iOS.

Apple releases one phone at a time while Android are released every second day.
    Will Pre3 or Veer get lost in this crowd.
    Agreed.

And call me crazy but I find Google's Android strategy a little anti-competitive, the way they dangle the carrot in front of manufacturers to adopt their OS. They are beginning to corner the smartphone market in a very monopolistic manner. It's why I'll never buy an Android phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I'm still amazed that the koreans started building cars. There isn't room for more than 3 countries to dominate the car market. The germans/americans/japanese have it locked up. People have already bought millions of cars...
    I bought a Kia Forte last year. 36 mpg. Every bell and whistle including Bluetooth and USB. Uses the same gas and oil as the established market leaders. The Forte was $16k. To get even close to these features on a Chevy was $28k. The similar Toyota's and Honda's were $23k and $24.

The Korean Asus Transformer tablet is using the same strategy. At $399, it is half the price of the Xoom but uses the same 200k apps. It matches every spec, microSD, etc. and goes beyond (SD, USB mouse & memory, IPS display, etc.) plus it has a netbook option.

A Best Buy manager told me that if he could get in hundreds of Transformers, he could sell them all. If you have a Powerbook, HP, Toshiba, Sony, or Dell branded computer, it is likely an Asus. He said that since the Acer Iconia came in at $449 they have only sold 3 Xooms.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 05/11/2011 at 09:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    Agreed.

And call me crazy but I find Google's Android strategy a little anti-competitive, the way they dangle the carrot in front of manufacturers to adopt their OS. They are beginning to corner the smartphone market in a very monopolistic manner. It's why I'll never buy an Android phone.
    I agreed.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    Agreed.

You're not crazy, I completely agree. I definitely don't want one company owning every part of my life. Not just smartphones now, they want Android running your whole home, maybe your car, and who knows what else in the future. Sorry Google, but I want no part in your brave new world.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    You're not crazy, I completely agree. I definitely don't want one company owning every part of my life. Not just smartphones now, they want Android running your whole home, maybe your car, and who knows what else in the future. Sorry Google, but I want no part in your brave new world.

Yeah, their business strategy is quite scarey. Giving out stuffs for free, it sounds good but in a long run, they will put out so many competitions. This is total monopoly. I wonder if our government ever going to step in, i doubt it. They probably do that after it's too late.
    List of smartphone OS:
    • BlackBerry OS
    • Embedded Linux
    • Access Linux Platform
    • Android
    • Metano Linux ME/LX Set of operational systems for mobile phones by Metano GNU/Linux series
    • bada
    • Openmoko Linux
    • OPhone
    • MeeGo (from merger of Maemo & Moblin)
    • Mobilinux
    • MotoMagx
    • Qt Extended
    • LiMo Platform
    • webOS
    • iPhone OS (a subset of Mac OS X)
    • Palm OS
    • Symbian platform (successor to Symbian OS)
    • Windows Mobile (superseded by Windows Phone 7)

Narrowed down to current competitors:
    1. iOS
    2. Android
    3. BlackBerry Mobile
    4. Windows Phone 7
    5. WebOS
    6. Symbian
    7. MeeGo

Broken down into market %:

I don't like to way Android is affecting the market, either, but it's not a monopoly. I'd say it's more lazy hardware manufacturers TBH.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post

I don't like to way Android is affecting the market, either, but it's not a monopoly. I'd say it's more lazy hardware manufacturers TBH.
    I wouldn't say lazy. What else would you do? You can't pick iOS. Can't pick webOS. That's basically leaves Android or WP7. Unless you want to totally go off track and try developing your own OS and everything that entangles.

With android, the cost is in trying to differentiate it through skins or UI's. MS will come after you to license as well.

With WP7, the cost is a license to MS.

Buying or creating an OS is the most costly which is what HP elected to do in order to create products that require this kind of integration. This also means playing the app store game, bearing most of the marketing, building a platform, etc. IMO, i don't think HP will be able to make this type of transformation with little to leverage and a lack of total commitment. They're veering off track.

WebOS may stick around in some limited form at HP (maybe printers) but I predict they'll get back to basics with MS later for tablets and stay out of the phone business.
    Billed as a "very serious question" and I like the quality of the discussion.

But I don't find the question being posed on these forums "very serious" so close to launch. A "serious" analyst at that point in their process keeps their ears and eyes open for the unknown, they don't try to close it off with an answer to a theoretical question, to predetermine results as it were.
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Billed as a "very serious question" and I like the quality of the discussion.

But I don't find the question being posed on these forums "very serious" so close to launch. A "serious" analyst at that point in their process keeps their ears and eyes open for the unknown, they don't try to close it off with an answer to a theoretical question, to predetermine results as it were.
    I agree with you, the question right now is not that serious but we are having quite a good discussion.

I still don't know but Android is killing everyone including Windows phone 7.
    As all the phone manufactured for Windows phone 7 are also manufactured for Android having the same specs and nearly the same design.

I still don't get Microsoft approach, they don't have some great hardware to sell to people and they are not making low end phones to get the non smartphones users to start using their OS.

I hope that WebOS can be the fourth or if luck is with them the third best OS in the market. Only time will tell how it fares.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Apple vs Google vs Microsoft - I don't think HP is in the three-way race for dominance of technology in our lives. Apple has great hardware, software, and consumer mindshare. Google has mindshare and outstanding software. Microsoft has dominant software and now Skype, etc. All have incredible scale and existing presence in our lives.

HP may aspire to play in this league but they are more second tier with a bunch of other similar companies.
    Maybe that's true in the mobile space, but outside that HP is still a big player. Microsoft still needs HP if MS aspires to continue selling desktop versions of Windows.

Another point is that the Pre 3 & the Veer are Palm devices, not HP. We haven't even begun to see what HP is capable of doing yet....
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spudland View Post
    Another point is that the Pre 3 & the Veer are Palm devices, not HP. We haven't even begun to see what HP is capable of doing yet....
    It will be interesting to see how long they (HP WebOS devices) take to appear, and compare that with how long Nokia take to get out a WP device.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    I wouldn't get too worked up about market share. Sure Android is huge (market share). They offer their OS free to any manufacturer who wishes to utilize it. It is a means to generate more advertising dollars for Google.

HP/Palm should be more concerned with how they compare to Apple and RIM.
    Donít know if it was already mentioned but #4 should be: HP will take WebOS out of the consumer market and turn it into an OS specifically tailored to the professional products (printers, handheld scanners/receipt printers/etc., server access panels, etc.)

I see this being a likely option if they canít get significant traction in the consumer market for relatively little extra expense.

Whether they then decide to continue/re-enter in the consumer mobile market with android or W7 would be a separate issue.

Remember, everybody thought HP would have a cake-walk in the PDA market after they bought the (superior to HP PDAs at the time) iPAQ line of PDAs in the Compaq merger. But it didnít take them very long to make that whither and die from lack of support.

-Suntan
    Maybe that's true in the mobile space, but outside that HP is still a big player. Microsoft still needs HP if MS aspires to continue selling desktop versions of Windows.

For now, yeah. There's a reason why Windows 8 is going to be the first version of Windows to run natively on ARM systems though.

What is this suppose to mean, HP will just up and say no more Windows, even if the public/corps want that? Pipe dream.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12