1.    #1  
    So says All Things D. They believe that Apple will offer a low end phone with a less costly bill of materials and does not require the type of plan that the iPhone requires. Another requirement is that it doesn't compete with the iPhone. Maybe the Veer is not quite the Epic Fail that some predict and maybe HP is not as stupid as some believe.

WIll Apple make a lower-end iPhone | John Paczkowski | Digital Daily | AllThingsD
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Reptile View Post
    So says All Things D. They believe that Apple will offer a low end phone with a less costly bill of materials and does not require the type of plan that the iPhone requires. Another requirement is that it doesn't compete with the iPhone. Maybe the Veer is not quite the Epic Fail that some predict and maybe HP is not as stupid as some believe.

WIll Apple make a lower-end iPhone | John Paczkowski | Digital Daily | AllThingsD
    This is really old news. No fact on this rumor. They always had this rumor around for LONG time now.
    It is not possible to say this is not fact, mainly because Apple hasn't denied it yet. Think about this for a second... how many iphone 3GS's has Apple/ATT sold at 49 bucks? This is not so far off from reality...
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    It is not possible to say this is not fact, mainly because Apple hasn't denied it yet. Think about this for a second... how many iphone 3GS's has Apple/ATT sold at 49 bucks? This is not so far off from reality...
    this rumor was going around before Veer got announced. So even if Apple is thinking about going small and cheap, they are not veering.
    Semantics... the OP was just saying that if Apple is considering it, then HP isn't far off with the Veer.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

1: Does Apple ever confirm or deny anything until they are ready to release?

2: Apple releasing a small phone is not equivalent to HP releasing a small phone. Apple has a proven platform. In the mobile world, Apple is a trend setter. HP has yet achieve that.

3: The HP Veer is not the premier webos device. The $99 price tag says that. HP is doing a ctrl alt del and re-introducing webos on a entry level device.

Whether this will work I will wait and see.
    apple already has a low end phone. It's a $49 3Gs. And from the iphone live podcast i once heard them say they think the iphone 4 may continue as a low end phone when the iphone 5 comes out.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Reptile View Post

No, the HP Veer is epic fail and the new iPhone Mini will do very well. You should look at it man, it's sexy.

Precentral has even gotten their hands on it today and man do they like it!
    I'm just wondering if anyone really understood the difference. The rumor here is that Apple will release a low cost FEATURE phone that does not require a data plan. Instead of 90 or more a month, this phone would cost much less per month. This is one of the biggest reasons why feature phone users don't upgrade.

This is unlike the Veer. A feature phone size but at a smartphone monthly price.

After all, if you want to target feature phone users, then make a feature phone? I don't see Apple doing this unless this feature phone can be part of the iOS ecosystem somehow.
    HP has a proven platform as well. They're just catching up with the hardware.

I wonder what Apple's feature phone would have that would make people want to buy it. Would it just be an iPod nano with a cellular radio? I think it would at least need to be something that people can write apps for it to be successful. Most feature phones I see have some way to download "apps", but these are typically few and don't get new releases often, so if Apple can have an iPod nano phone with an SDK, maybe a way to quickly port existing iOS apps, I could see their feature phone being a hit.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I'm just wondering if anyone really understood the difference. The rumor here is that Apple will release a low cost FEATURE phone that does not require a data plan. Instead of 90 or more a month, this phone would cost much less per month. This is one of the biggest reasons why feature phone users don't upgrade.

This is unlike the Veer. A feature phone size but at a smartphone monthly price.

After all, if you want to target feature phone users, then make a feature phone? I don't see Apple doing this unless this feature phone can be part of the iOS ecosystem somehow.
    Most carriers charge the same data plan fees for their feature phones that they charge for their smartphones. The only phones not "requiring" those fees are the dumbphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Most carriers charge the same data plan fees for their feature phones that they charge for their smartphones. The only phones not "requiring" those fees are the dumbphones.
    Sorry, i use those words interchangeably. Featurephone, dumbphone...both mean the same to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post

But who would want a phone thats as powerful as a smart phone yet can't go on the internet?
    Isn't that the point of the iPod touch? It's more affordable and hooks people into iOS.