Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    Everybody was blaming HP for releasing their product so late. See RIM, which is in this industry for so many years can't even launch their product in time.
    And now RIM is planning to launch a 10inch a playbook even they get it that their 7inch playbook was a joke.
    If they launch a 10inch Playbook before the 4G model of 7inch Playbook, RIM will lose even the little credibility they have in the market.

RIM to debut 10-inch BlackBerry PlayBook; OS 7 Delayed? | BlackBerrySync.com - BlackBerry News and Reviews

There has been a few days when I wished my PlayBook had a bigger display, and it sounds like RIM is working on it. According to BGR, RIM plans to debut a larger 10-inch BlackBerry PlayBook tablet later this year, in the Fall time-frame to be exact. Speaking of waiting, RIM still hasn’t announced when they plan to launch the 4G PlayBook models of the current PlayBook tablet.

Another interesting rumor floating around is that RIM won’t be launching the recently announced (and ultra sexy) BlackBerry Bold Touch 9900/9930 until at least mid-August, due to some sort of delay. Not June/July as previously reported. And last rumor… The other un-announced BlackBerry smartphones such as the Torch 2, Curve Touch, and others won’t be getting officially acknowledged by RIM until the BlackBerry Developers Conference in October 2011. Ouch. Stay tuned for more info as well hear/see it.
    Well, at least they're holding off on announcing hones that won't be release for a long time. The Playbook was announced last year and only just became available. What was it, at least six months between announcement and availability?
    I would like to know what your beef is with RIM, seriously. You take delight in bashing them. If it's about webOS imitation, HP will likely sue if the PlayBook gets too big. But their phones don't contain webOS imitations, at least not yet anyway.

As for them not releasing phones, maybe they're retooling the specs and details. It would be about time. All their "new" phones end up being the same old phone models with better specs. This is OK for BB diehards but many consumers don't want to buy the same phone over and over.

RIM's not dead exactly yet, like stated in that other thread. They can still pull themselves out of a total mess. All they need to do is avoid Nokia's and SE's(before they went Android) mistakes. They were similar. Same phones released again and again, no true innovation or even inspiration, resting on laurels, etc.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I would like to know what your beef is with RIM, seriously. You take delight in bashing them. If it's about webOS imitation, HP will likely sue if the PlayBook gets too big. But their phones don't contain webOS imitations, at least not yet anyway.

As for them not releasing phones, maybe they're retooling the specs and details. It would be about time. All their "new" phones end up being the same old phone models with better specs. This is OK for BB diehards but many consumers don't want to buy the same phone over and over.

RIM's not dead exactly yet, like stated in that other thread. They can still pull themselves out of a total mess. All they need to do is avoid Nokia's and SE's(before they went Android) mistakes. They were similar. Same phones released again and again, no true innovation or even inspiration, resting on laurels, etc.
    I think this was not a bashing of RIM as you r thinking. I am just listing the fact and btw seriously dude RIM releasing a 10inch version of playbook before solving 7inch playbook issue will seriously dent RIM image in front of the normal consumer.

But I don't get you, why are you defending RIM. When people in this forum were bashing HP for delaying their product you did not speak up but now RIM is doing the same thing you feel I am bashing them.
    Get your mind right, I am just pointing the fact a big company like RIM, which in the mobile business for so long can make mistake so a company like HP, which is trying to enter the mobile market will certainly make more mistake.

I personally think HP will not sue RIM because RIM playbook UI is a cheap copy.

Let see RIM june result to understand how good or bad the company is progressing.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    RIM may be pretty big, but QNX is really small.

Also for a simple thing like cut and paste --- it ain't very simple in the RIM universe. RIM won't let you copy a corporate email and paste it into your personal email. Or something like taking a screen capture --- BES-policy can disable Playbook's ability to do a screen capture.

It's a million little "simple" features that are not really simple at all. You are comparing apples with oranges when you compare something like it takes x months for HP/Palm to do native email and it takes x+y months for RIM to do native email.
    [COLOR="Navy"]I would like to know what your beef is with RIM, seriously. You take delight in bashing them.
    I'm guessing it's because BlackBerry is the only platform he thinks webOS can beat.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I'm guessing it's because BlackBerry is the only platform he thinks webOS can beat.
    I agreed 100%

Sent from Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by KAPS View Post
    I think this was not a bashing of RIM as you r thinking. I am just listing the fact and btw seriously dude RIM releasing a 10inch version of playbook before solving 7inch playbook issue will seriously dent RIM image in front of the normal consumer.

But I don't get you, why are you defending RIM. When people in this forum were bashing HP for delaying their product you did not speak up but now RIM is doing the same thing you feel I am bashing them.
    Get your mind right, I am just pointing the fact a big company like RIM, which in the mobile business for so long can make mistake so a company like HP, which is trying to enter the mobile market will certainly make more mistake.

I personally think HP will not sue RIM because RIM playbook UI is a cheap copy.

Let see RIM june result to understand how good or bad the company is progressing.
    It just seems as though you want RIM to fail and go out of business. You take delight in seeing them falter.

RIM actually needs to stop releasing the same phone over and over, so in that case it's a plus. Now if the delay results in yet the same rehashed phones, then I'm on board that they are clueless.

As for HP and their waiting until June, I never agreed with that. I said that before. iPad has too much of a lead and now so do all these other tablets. Provided RIM doesn't get sued out the wazzoo by HP(don't count that lawsuit out, PlayBook is getting lots of press), normal consumers may mistake HP as the copycat.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    It just seems as though you want RIM to fail and go out of business. You take delight in seeing them falter.

RIM actually needs to stop releasing the same phone over and over, so in that case it's a plus. Now if the delay results in yet the same rehashed phones, then I'm on board that they are clueless.

As for HP and their waiting until June, I never agreed with that. I said that before. iPad has too much of a lead and now so do all these other tablets. Provided RIM doesn't get sued out the wazzoo by HP(don't count that lawsuit out, PlayBook is getting lots of press), normal consumers may mistake HP as the copycat.
    Hey there.. Take a look at a Hit the Nail on the Head take of what RIM is actually doing wrong..

By Joshua Topolsky

http://thisismynext.com/2011/05/05/b...are-confusion/

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Topolsky talked about how under-powered the BB handsets have been --- which is a very valid point. The Torch has a Palm Pre class CPU and it does not have OpenGL GPU. Doesn't matter how hard you are going to yell at RIM --- you ain't getting an OS update on that hardware, especially when part of the OS upgrade is about OpenGL graphics.
    Actually its more than that. They have basically have announced that they are going to be alienating more customers, by Killing OS 6 for OS7 (which wont be compatible with playbook or any other bberies so more recoding for devs) which will than be killed off for a QNX vers for smartphones..

He stated also that even OS6 had a chance had the hardware been better... (btw I wholehartedly believe the Torch is sufficient for OS6.. Its a great phone) at launch..

Now the delays of the release of the new phone lineup.. NO other bberry will be able to upgrade to 6.1/7.0

Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    But then it's damned if you do, damned if you don't. There is no possible way to keep continuing to sell BB6 handsets, and there is no possible way to hurry a major OS transition either.
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    But then it's damned if you do, damned if you don't. There is no possible way to keep continuing to sell BB6 handsets, and there is no possible way to hurry a major OS transition either.
    Smaller updates on OS6 broken up over a period of 6 months that add/improve features .. While working on QNX for smartphones.. Instead of wasting resources on OS7...

Or they shouldve waited to release OS7 instead of releasing OS6..

They wouldnt be in any worse shape if they did that, as updates for OS6 just finished rolling out for legacy devices just recently.. So had they waited on the torch, say release the Torch2 specs in January or Feb of 2011 (ignore the blogosphere and get your products ready) that way it would already have the OS7 and start releasing new devices running it..

Having 2 stop gap OS's plus a separate OS for Tablets (not even talking about legacy os's) isnt fair for consumers.. Doesnt attract devs, and doent fair well for RIm.

Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    But you can't add/improve features to phones with a 600MHz CPU and no GPU. And you can't sell smartphones in 2011 without minimal amount of 3D graphics.
    But you can't add/improve features to phones with a 600MHz CPU and no GPU. And you can't sell smartphones in 2011 without minimal amount of 3D graphics.
    Key word is "2011", OS6 was released in 2010..

And thats what I'm saying .. They should have never made the torch...

Ok to be clear
    In jan 2010 there where 2 bb os's floating around.. OS5 and remnants of os4..

BB couldve released updates to os5 for the rest of 2010 by adding features like better social integration and synergy services.. While not releasing rhe Torch & OS6...

FF january 2011 Ces, announce a bberry torch with 1ghz cpu more ram better graphics etc.. Running OS7 (market it as OS6)
    Launch by april..alongside PB, all the while working on QNX for smartphones..

They instead created a new profile system called bberry id that conflicted with the existing system.. Confusing users & reps alike .. Smh

Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    One of the problems of getting the native email onto the Playbook is actually the old PIN system and the whole NOC infrastructure --- so BBID is the future.

But you are not providing any solutions at all. The past is done. If they didn't release the torch last year, then their christmas quarter would have plunged. If sales are going to plunge anyway, I rather prefer the plunge to be in January when the shopping mall is empty.
    oh I wasn't intending to provide solutions , just to show where they went off.. It's going to be harder for them to boujce back in 201r than 2011
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    I understand that --- but you are also ignoring that many product developments were well in late stages when QNX was purchased. RIM bought QNX in April 2010 and the Torch was launched in August 2010.

It is going to be difficult --- no matter what year it is. This is a major OS transition like Apple did with os x.
    I understand that --- but you are also ignoring that many product developments were well in late stages when QNX was purchased. RIM bought QNX in April 2010 and the Torch was launched in August 2010.

It is going to be difficult --- no matter what year it is. This is a major OS transition like Apple did with os x.
    Regardless .. The torch was both announced and launched in august..

They shouldve skipped a product cycle.. Just like HP with palm..

And according to bberry ceo QNX already had a design before the purchase

http://m.bgr.com/2011/03/02/hp-calls...-rim-responds/

"But there was no intention and no preconceived notion that this is what we want to end up looking like. In fact, I think QNX had that design lined up before we even started working with them."

So (according to Rim, the groundwork was laid before acquisition) so skip a product cycle and come out strong with OS7 in Jan 2011.. Instead of juggling 3 OS's ..
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Palm missed products cycles left and right because they kept on laying people off. And by the time HP bought Palm, all those people were already handcuffed/hired by the Android team.

QNX made all sorts of technology demo's all the time. They ported QNX to an compaq ipaq pda in 2002/2003. They port Quake iii demo to QNX also at around that time (which they dug it up to put onto the Playbook). QNX made a tablet demo in 1998.

http://eqip.openqnx.com/?D=screen_shots

http://onqpl.blogspot.com/2011/04/ta...n-and-now.html
    Last edited by samab; 05/06/2011 at 02:01 AM.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast