Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    Palm missed products cycles left and right because they kept on laying people off. And by the time HP bought Palm, all those people were already handcuffed/hired by the Android team.

QNX made all sorts of technology demo's all the time. They ported QNX to an compaq ipaq pda in 2002/2003. They port Quake iii demo to QNX also at around that time (which they dug it up to put onto the Playbook). QNX made a tablet demo in 1998.

http://eqip.openqnx.com/?D=screen_shots

http://onqpl.blogspot.com/2011/04/ta...n-and-now.html
    I dont think your reading what I wrote.. I'm saying.. *sigh*....Its just to late at night right now..

Good night

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    I dont think your reading what I wrote.. I'm saying.. *sigh*....Its just to late at night right now..

Good night

After reading Jousha article I think Blackberry is more fragmented than Android.
    They should have skipped Blackberry OS7 instead of releasing a half baked product just like Playbook is. QNX is going to make or break their company.

Having 2 CEO is creating problem, it is better to have one leader one vision than multiple leader. You have heard the saying too many cooks spoil the cake.
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I'm guessing it's because BlackBerry is the only platform he thinks webOS can beat.
    I hardly care if WebOS beats blackberry. RIM will die it own slow death no need for WebOS do anything.
    RIM Playbook copied WebOS and now RIM will copy Palm fate and will be brought by Google.
    That will be poetic justice.
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    It just seems as though you want RIM to fail and go out of business. You take delight in seeing them falter.

RIM actually needs to stop releasing the same phone over and over, so in that case it's a plus. Now if the delay results in yet the same rehashed phones, then I'm on board that they are clueless.

As for HP and their waiting until June, I never agreed with that. I said that before. iPad has too much of a lead and now so do all these other tablets. Provided RIM doesn't get sued out the wazzoo by HP(don't count that lawsuit out, PlayBook is getting lots of press), normal consumers may mistake HP as the copycat.
    I think normal consumer are not that dumb for thinking HP copied RIM. They know that RIM stopped innovating a long time back. And people in US have a very good idea of WebOS.
    Whenever HP Touchpad will launch it would certainly be 100000000000000 times better than Playbook. As original are always better than cheap copies.
    iPad is going to be king but there is always room for prince in the kingdom. And I personally think HP Touchpad can be prince and hopefully it could be 2nd most successful tablet in the market after ipad.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KAPS View Post
    After reading Jousha article I think Blackberry is more fragmented than Android.
    Actually the funny thing is that when RIM put the "android player" on the QNX-based blackberry --- it has the potential to become the most favorite android platform for android developers because of the android fragmentation problem.

RIM is going to sell 50-60 million blackberries a year, with a limited number of models and doesn't add stuff like motoblur on top of android. Dalvik is under Apache 2.0 license --- which means that all RIM did was took Google's source code, ported it to QNX and kept the source code close.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    I hardly care if WebOS beats blackberry. RIM will die it own slow death no need for WebOS do anything.
    RIM Playbook copied WebOS and now RIM will copy Palm fate and will be brought by Google.
    That will be poetic justice.
    Poetic justice would be that --- Google the big giant evil company buying RIM, making it even more giant and powerful --- and crushing HP like an ant.

That's what you have been doing --- trying to find a way to ultimately crush HP.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post

Good night

I have read what you wrote and what that article wrote carefully. You misread the article --- the article specifically said that QNX had these designs BEFORE RIM started working with them.

All that article meant to say was that QNX had prototypes of these designs --- just like QNX had prototypes of how QNX worked on a ipaq 8 years ago. Just like QNX has a Corvette with a QNX digital dashboard and a digital center console. Doesn't mean that QNX is going to make a product out of it. These prototypes are meant to showcase their OS to potential customers.

And for your info, the QNX guy that did the ipaq UI design --- basically used that prototype to land a job at Apple, ultimately designing the UI for the ipod.

http://www.linkedin.com/in/wbull
    Last edited by samab; 05/06/2011 at 12:55 PM.
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    Actually the funny thing is that when RIM put the "android player" on the QNX-based blackberry --- it has the potential to become the most favorite android platform for android developers because of the android fragmentation problem.

RIM is going to sell 50-60 million blackberries a year, with a limited number of models and doesn't add stuff like motoblur on top of android. Dalvik is under Apache 2.0 license --- which means that all RIM did was took Google's source code, ported it to QNX and kept the source code close.
    you are right people are dumb, they will buy a 500$ playbook device, which is acting like a browser because it doesn't have email,calendar,contact and chatting app.

People are dumb because they will not buy Asus EEE Pad, which look way cooler than Playbook can ever dream and 10inch and cost 100$ less than Playbook.

People are dumb because they will buy a cheap copy of WebOS and Android device called Playbook, which doesn't even support Honeycomb and not buy a genuine Android Device Asus EEE Pad, which cost less.

I thought you did not read IDC report that RIM is only selling 14 million handset in US. Even Samsung is selling 10million handset a year.

People the world over are dumb to say Nokia crashed even though it is selling more device than RIM can ever expect to sell.

******* will also be *******. Rest in Hell RIM.
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    Poetic justice would be that --- Google the big giant evil company buying RIM, making it even more giant and powerful --- and crushing HP like an ant.

That's what you have been doing --- trying to find a way to ultimately crush HP.
    Yeah right Google will crush HP, Microsoft, Apple. You are right man, how could I not imagine that.(sarcasm).

Google is the evil while RIM is an Angel.(sarcasm).
    Die in Hell RIM.
    You're wacky. I'm enjoying this.
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    I have read what you wrote and what that article wrote carefully. You misread the article --- the article specifically said that QNX had these designs BEFORE RIM started working with them.

All that article meant to say was that QNX had prototypes of these designs --- just like QNX had prototypes of how QNX worked on a ipaq 8 years ago. Just like QNX has a Corvette with a QNX digital dashboard and a digital center console. Doesn't mean that QNX is going to make a product out of it. These prototypes are meant to showcase their OS to potential customers.

And for your info, the QNX guy that did the ipaq UI design --- basically used that prototype to land a job at Apple, ultimately designing the UI for the ipod.

William Bull | LinkedIn
    You are right only William Bull developed the UI. Steve Jobs,Jon Rubinstein,Jonathan Ive and others were just mute spectator, who did not do anything in developing iPod.(sarcasm).

You are so right,QNX is the best OS in the world.(sarcasm). That why it is a rip off of WebOS.

Keep up the good work.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    The funny thing is that out of all the people that I know --- I am the only person that use Microsoft's Office suite's Outlook email program to access my webmail. Everyone I know just log on to the websites. Suddenly these same people are concerned about having to log onto google's website to get their gmail.

Source code is source code --- RIM just took the Dalvik source code and did a straight port. If you don't like it, then ask Google to close source Android.
    "Can't we all just get along?"
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    You are right only William Bull developed the UI. Steve Jobs,Jon Rubinstein,Jonathan Ive and others were just mute spectator, who did not do anything in developing iPod.(sarcasm).

You are so right,QNX is the best OS in the world.(sarcasm). That why it is a rip off of WebOS.

Keep up the good work.
    All I said was that QNX has some pretty good UI people that did a lot of prototyping --- which can mean that possibly that QNX developed a webos-like UI prototype independently of Palm's design. These prototypes are shown only to potential QNX customers to showcase their OS.
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    The funny thing is that out of all the people that I know --- I am the only person that use Microsoft's Office suite's Outlook email program to access my webmail. Everyone I know just log on to the websites. Suddenly these same people are concerned about having to log onto google's website to get their gmail.

Source code is source code --- RIM just took the Dalvik source code and did a straight port. If you don't like it, then ask Google to close source Android.
    People don't need contact,chatting or even calendar apps because they are useless. You don't need calendar to manage your day or your meeting schedule, it is waste of time.

If there is some place where wifi is not present, a person shouldn't access his mail as there is no built in mail app.

You are right people are dumb to ask for these apps.
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    All I said was that QNX has some pretty good UI people that did a lot of prototyping --- which can mean that possibly that QNX developed a webos-like UI prototype independently of Palm's design. These prototypes are shown only to potential QNX customers to showcase their OS.
    Yeah you are so right, QNX developed its OS this 2 year back, while WebOS was developed this april.

Working independently is so good, you don't copy any thing from anywhere, you do all the things yourself,Perfect.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Out of the people I know, I don't know anyone (beside myself) who set up their Outlook program to retrieve their webmail on their laptops.
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    Out of the people I know, I don't know anyone (beside myself) who set up their Outlook program to retrieve their webmail on their laptops.
    I know many people in my office, whom uses outlook very often and have setup mail in their iphone or android phone.

But I know many non office friends of mine, whom uses calendar often to remind them of birthdays, appointment,meeting and other things.

So not having mails can be forgiven but not having Calendar,Chatting and Contact apps can't be forgiven.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Yeah you are so right, QNX developed its OS this 2 year back, while WebOS was developed this april.

Working independently is so good, you don't copy any thing from anywhere, you do all the things yourself,Perfect.
    They are prototypes that CAN'T be productized --- because they get grab a bunch of open source projects and port them. The QNX-Quake III demo has been around since 2003 --- you can't make a product out of it because while the game engine is open-source, the content is not. They may grab the source code for a Personal Information Manager project under GPL and port it to their QNX prototype --- again which can't be productized. They may grab some open source codec and ported it to QNX to show that their prototype can play a divx movie --- again which can't be productized.
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    They are prototypes that CAN'T be productized --- because they get grab a bunch of open source projects and port them. The QNX-Quake III demo has been around since 2003 --- you can't make a product out of it because while the game engine is open-source, the content is not. They may grab the source code for a Personal Information Manager project under GPL and port it to their QNX prototype --- again which can't be productized. They may grab some open source codec and ported it to QNX to show that their prototype can play a divx movie --- again which can't be productized.
    I still couldn't find any answer, why QNX copied the whole UI of WebOS, which is in the market for the last 2 years.

You keep on defending RIM just for the sake of defending.
    QNX copied the UI of WebOS and Playbook looks like a cheap copy of WebOS, end of story.
    No if and no but.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast